FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's your family eating this week?

Author Topic: What's your family eating this week?
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Or last week, if that's easier! The poor and eating healthy thread has made me very interested in the eating habits of others. So, indulge me and list your family meals from last week (just dinner would be great). I'd love to get some new ideas and plus I'm just weird and like to know what other people eat.

I'll post mine once I decide on them. I had a cold last week, so I'm too embarassed to post what we had for dinner most nights! [Blushing]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Um, food? I don't live at home, but I'm home right now.

Tonight my dad made spaghetti with garlic, oil, and broccoli.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
home made chicken enchaladas. mmm mmm
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

My housemates at college make eggplant parm a lot. I tend to make a lot of pasta just because it's really easy to make a small amount and it doesn't take that much effort.

*is a lazy college student

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Mushroom-Barley Soup

Leftover Mushroom Barley Soup

Polenta with Vegetable Bean Stew

Leftover Vegetable Bean Stew over Pasta

Right before the Yom Kippur fast, we will eat Flanken with Kreplach. You eat that, and you aren't hungry again for 2-3 days.

After the fast, we will eat eggs, fish and salads.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Mmm Barley Soup is good
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as actual cooking goes, the only thing I've cooked in the last week was spaghetti. It was pretty good too. The rest of my meals have either been prepackaged stuff (Lean Cuisine and what not) or fast food (which is usually what my weekend meals consist of).
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember the entire past week and we don't plan ahead, but this is what we've had lately, including tonight.

*Lasagna and salad
*Boneless hot/barbeque wings and salad
*Steak and baked potato
*Red chile enchiladas, avocado on the side and optional egg on top
*Spaghetti
*Stew

My mom makes the best enchiladas ever, red chile and chicken. My sister-in-law always makes special trips here when she does.

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
-Roast
-Sloppy Joe
-Pizza
-Stringy Chicken (a very delicious recipe of my moms. I don't remember how she gets it into the eating state, but it's like small strings of chicken peices, mixed in with barbeque sauce and other things)
-And leftovers

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Tony and I are trying out a new higher-protein low fat eating plan (we bought some scales and both got a shock. I have managed to gain 20 kg since I met Tony - over 5 years, but still. Eeep!)

So...
Dinner last night was meatloaf made with a mix of low fat beef mince & low fat lamb mince, with zucchinni grated in as well as spring onions, coriander, onion, garlic etc served with blanched baby carrots and broccolini.

Dinner tonight is skinless chicken thighs that have been marinanting over night in ginger, garlic, lemongrass and soy (and both the garlic and lemongrass were grown by us [Smile] ), baked and then served with sugar snap peas, broccolini and asparagus.

During the week we will have
  • Fennel-crusted pork fillet with baked parsnip and apple and blanched green veggie yet to be determined
  • Osso bucco done simply with tomato and maybe a little splash of wine, herbs and stuff, and salad
  • Kangaroo sausages (very low fat meat) with veggies yet to be determined, depending on what Tony picks up at the shop

And we haven't decided the other two, one will be whichever fish is best at the fishmonger.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Carbonara- pasta, peas, onions, and a tiny bit of bacon in a creamy parmesan sauce

Hamburgers and tater tots

Chicken and broccoli over rice

"Grilled cheese and tomato soup sandwiches"

Spaghetti and meatballs

Baked "fried" chicken, smashed potatoes, green beans

And one night we ate out. Usually there's a salad with dinner, too.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow this makes me realize that my family feels incredibly disfunctional when my mom works full time. Usually she works three weekdays, and get's home by three, but she had a long term sub job, so it was 5 days a week, plus grading for 7 weeks.

With me in charge of cooking which it has been lately, I make a lot of really simple things. Garlic butter sauce on pasta, with a bit of parmesean cheese, brown rice with mushrooms and parmesean (I was trying the full protein thing), and my famous, grill chicken, throw on salad or pasta, pretend you're a famous chef. My dad has subsisted fully on things he can make himself too, that don't seem so light and girly.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Grilled cheese and tomato soup sandwiches"
This one has me very curious. [Smile]

Heh, I honestly can't remember everything we've eaten for dinner this week. Tell you what, I'll try to keep track for the next week and tell you.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
OK I love this thread because last week I cooked every single night. I got a new Racheal Ray cookbook and was trying it out. Yum!

Monday: Noodle-y pasta stuff with ground turkey, carrots tomatoes, and garlic (RR recipe)

Tuesday: Parmesan breaded chicken, Cheese orzo (RR recipe), green beans

Wednesday: (Hubby's day to cook) Steaks, corn, baked potatoes all on the grill

Thursday: Moo Shoo Pockets (RR recipe)- ground turkey meatloaf patties Asian style, wrapped in warm tortillas with fresh carrot, bean sprouts, and hoisin sauce. I didn't like this one much but hubby and daughter LOVED it. Maybe if I did it with ground pork like the recipe said instead of ground turkey it would be better.

Friday: Tacos (easy)

Saturday: Breakfast for dinner

Today: Pizza completely homemade including crust and sauce.

Tomorrow: either jambalaya or chicken and dumplings

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zemra
Member # 5706

- posted      Profile for Zemra   Email Zemra         Edit/Delete Post 
We are eating Albanian food. By the way it is the best food ever. [Big Grin]
Posts: 69 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Well tonight we're having a roast, rice, and broccoli. As for the rest of the week, well it depends. I usually shop on Monday so I'll pick up food for the week tomorrow.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe if I did it with ground pork like the recipe said instead of ground turkey it would be better.
When substituting turkey patties for pork patties, sometimes you need to mix a little fat-- oil, butter, shortening, whatever-- into the turkey to keep it moister. Pork has a lot more fat than turkey. Pork mixed with turkey can sub well (texture-wise, at least) for ground beef.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread has inspired me to actually cook something. It looks like tonight will be broiled lamb chops (with oregano, black pepper, rosemary, and lemon juice) and homemade cornbread. I imagine I'll be eating leftovers for lunch every day this week (not counting Yom Kippur).

Unfortunately, that's all the cooking I think I'll be doing this week. Tomorrow will be pizza night, since I don't have time to go home between work and Scrabble club and my favorite pizza place is right next to the cafe where we play. Wednesday is Kol Nidre, and Thursday I'll be at my aunt's to break the fast. Friday my mother is coming in from out of town, so it'll be another eating out night. Saturday mother and I will probably cook something together, which more or less means she'll make something and I'll take notes and do dishes.

Generally I eat at home a lot more, and have an awful lot of pesto pasta, baked chicken drumsticks, and quesadillas. Ocasionally the chicken ends up in the pasta and quesadillas, to spice things up a bit.

[ October 09, 2005, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: ambyr ]

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Here goes:

Currently in house -- most everything! Not much need for shopping this week.
Pork loins
steak
hamburger
chicken
leftover taco cassarole -- lunch
leftover beef stew -- lunch
apples -- for apple pie, bruising, need to use quickly
spaghetti squash
broccoli -- from last week, needs using
potatoes
tomatoes -- from garden, need saucing
raspberries -- two pints from several days ago, needs freezing/saucing

Meal plan:
Monday -- Apple pork with mashed potatoes and salad
Tuesday -- spaghetti squash and meatballs in red sauce
Wednesday -- tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches
Thursday -- steak/broccoli/mushroom/etc. stir fry over rice
Friday -- chicken parmesan with fresh tomatoes and zucchini
Saturday -- bean burritos

Shopping list:
sour cream
mushrooms
tomato soup
yogurts for lunches
cottage cheese
whole milk for Sophie
block cheese for Sophie
butter
flour
eggs
breakfast "sausage"
waffles

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

What is spaghetti squash? I keep hearing about it but have never seen anything called that here.

Maybe we don't get it.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a yellow squash that is very fibrous and when cooked pulls apart into noodle-like strands.

spaghetti squash

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Recent meals have been:

black bean soup
Hubby's home made pizza
Nachos ( leftover black bean soup mixed with Spanish rice)

Tomorrow I'm going to splurge and make buffalo stew. I'll probably also make a 13 bean and ham soup.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Thanks Christy. [Smile]

I haven't seen it anywhere here - must not like the climate I guess.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I'm getting lots of meal ideas! I always like to see what "regular" people make on a nightly basis for dinner.

Here are our meals for the week:

Meatloaf...sides-steamed broccoli and rolls

Pasta topped with zucchini and parmesan cheese...side-romaine salad with mushroom and egg

Loaded baked potatoes...sides-steamed cauliflower and fruit

Grilled cheese and tomato soup (seems to be popular on Hatrack!)

No dinner on 5th night because we're eating at a Fall Festival

I normally don't plan meals for weekends; I usually just throw together something quick like breakfast for dinner or boxed pasta

Desserts for the week include pudding pie and apple crisp (sometimes dessert for the week is just ice cream, etc.)

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a pretty good mom this week. I cooked 5 times:

Teriyaki beef with rice and asian slaw.

Homemade pizza and root beer - our regular Friday night dinner with Netflix.

Homemade chicken soup with carrots, broccoli and macaroni.

BBQ (I made the BBQ sauce with passion fruit from the yard) pork chops with mashed potatoes, corn and homemade rolls.

Vegetarian chile and corn bread.

Actually, I guess it was 6 times this week, because we had salmon one night too...

Wow. That must be a record for me. No wonder my girls have been so nice to me. I hope they aren't getting used to it again. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Breakfast: oatmeal and turkey sausage

Lunch: peanut butter and jelly sandwhich

Snacks: yogurt and plums

Dinner: rice, chicken breasts, soup from a can, salads from the Kroger salad bar, mini-bagels

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I'm living in university apartments again, I cook very rarely. When I do, it's usually a simple pasta dish with red sauce or some tuna salad.

Most of the time, I get Subway or a burger. Or I make cute law students take me to nice restaurants and tell them it's a "hurricane relief donation." [Razz] I've been eating a LOT of Thai.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

So, I've got 5 days' worth of dinners that I remember. I'll post them before I forget, and tell you the rest of the week in 2 days. [Smile]

Fri: corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, and carrots I cooked in the crockpot

Sat: leftovers of the same

Sun: we ate at my dad's house; he served us ceasar salad with cucumbers, bread, steak, garlic smashed potatoes, steamed broccoflower, two varieties of pluots, watermelon, carrots with sugar snap peas, yellow squash with green beans, and TJ's chocolate torte for dessert.

Monday: tuna casserole with fruit (Emma had cantaloupe, Jeff had an apple, and I had a pluot.)

Today: lentils and rice cooked together with lots of Indian spices, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and carrots and topped with cabbage fried just until wilted in oil flavored with chili and cumin

Mariann
Member # 8724

- posted      Profile for Mariann   Email Mariann         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh I like this topic. I'm at home all the time, so I make lunch and dinner for me and my husband.

We don't eat a lot of red meat. When we do eat meat, it's normally chicken and pork- and halibut when we feel like splurging. This week I'm making a recipe called "Halibut w/ Lime and Cilantro" that sounds delicious. For lunch I make sandwiches that are chock-full of veggies so they're a meal in themselves. Eggplants and avocados are some of our favorite fillers, when we're not using turkey or chicken.

We also love smoothies because they fill you up AND they're good for you. My favorite kind of smoothie consists of grapes, bananas, strawberries, ice, juice, and fat-free yogurt. So yummy.

As you can tell we try to be healthy, but not so much that things don't taste good.

~M

Posts: 70 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight, I made baked fish (tilapia)

I am not a fan of fish, but it is a good meal to have when trying to lose weight. I baked it with mustard slathered on it, and sprinkled with herbs. We had brown rice, snow peas, and salad.

Tomorrow: salmon, fish sticks for my daughter, noodles and hot sauce, peas, and salad.

I love eating salad, but HATE making them. They taste so much better when someone else makes them. So i figured out that, in fact, the salad bar at the grocery store is much cheaper, and I cn have more stuff on the salad. If I buy all the things I like to put on a salad, they usually go to waste.

The other day, I bought a salad for three dollars that was good for dinner for my husband and me, lunch the next day, and a side salad for dinner the following night.

I have also discovered Kumer's chili beans. Very good, and they were ten cans for ten dollars last week so I loaded up. I just have to put some in a tortilla for a lovely, quick burrito.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

http://www.faribaultfoods.com/brands/kuners_southwest/index.php

Found the site. It is Kuner's, not Kumer's.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I love eating salad, but HATE making them. They taste so much better when someone else makes them.
My mom says the same thing. I don't mind making them, so I always volunteer to make it when I go over there. [Smile]

quote:
I have also discovered Kumer's chili beans. Very good, and they were ten cans for ten dollars last week so I loaded up. I just have to put some in a tortilla for a lovely, quick burrito.
I used to do the same thing with Ranch Style beans in Dallas. They were so tasty and would go on sale 3 for a dollar. Out here, though, they're hard to find and much more expensive-- on sale, $1 to $1.25 is the best I've found them for. [Frown]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Hmm. Ironic, KQ, that this brand, Kuner's SOUTHWEST, does not sell in the Southwest.

http://www.faribaultfoods.com/brands/kuners_southwest/where_to_find.php

Space Opera
Member # 6504

Oh, this is funny. Instead of sticking to my planned dinners, so far we've had:

Monday: frozen pizza (Ok, I went to the grocery store earlier and was exhausted. See how tired you are after pushing that cart around nine months pregnant!)

Tuesday: ate out (In my defense, Boy Opera had received a coupon for a free meal at a local restaurant as a reward for making the honor roll)

Wednesday: Baked chicken, brocolli, and mac and cheese (I don't know where this came from - I felt like crap so Mr. Opera cooked)

Perhaps I should just give up on planning a menu. [Blushing]

space opera

imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
See how tired you are after pushing that cart around nine months pregnant!
I think given you're 9 months pregnant you could feed your family fish fingers and frozen bread every night and it would still be justified. [Smile]
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on the road since Sunday morning for work. I just got home and had a big bowl of ice cream.

I devoutly hope that Nathan's dad has fed him reasonable healthy meals, rather than pizza, pizza, and more pizza. (grin)

I have eaten numerous taco salads for dinner; fresh vegies, cold cuts and fruit for lunch; and drank tons of coffee in the morning with my vitamins.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wed. night my dad took us out to dinner.

Last night we had assorted leftovers.

No clue about tonight.

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm, dining hall.

This thread makes me itchy to move out on my own so I can experiment with food!

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.