FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's happened to Pern?

Author Topic: What's happened to Pern?
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
Todd McAffery's to Pern novels, Dragonskin and Dragonsblood, are about as good as his mother's recent efforts. Which is to say they suck.

What happened to the focused, character-driven stories like the original Dragonriders trilogy, and the Harper Hall series? I'm halfway into Dragonsblood and I still don't know what it's supposed to be about. How many resolutions can you hang on the question, "will they defeat the thread? One! And that was Dragonflight.

There seems to be four or five different "main characters" in Dragonsblood, and they each have separate, disjointed narrative threads. All the best pern novels have very clear protagonists that were easy to love and identify with: Lessa, Nerilka, Menolly, and Moretta spring readily to mind. How can I care equally for Loranna, Tieran, Wind Blossom, and C'Rion all the same book? And I haven't seen C'Rion since the first chapter! Why start the book with the Fort Weyr Leader worrying because he's winglight with thread days away and then never address the issue again? It's sloppy.

Jane Yolen's recomendation on the jacket really led me to expect more. I'm just going to have to dig up my old Pern books.

Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I had honestly thought Jane Yolen was already dead.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Jane Yolen primarily writes childrens books now, I think. I love her Pirate Queens and How do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon? There are probably more...I just happened to stumble over both of those.

For Todd MacCaffery's efforts, I liked both books. They weren't towers of acheivement, but they weren't unreadable either. The charm of the original Pern books would be difficult to recapture, as there are so many characters now and we want to know what happens to them all.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I am honestly surprised that anybody ever thought any Pern novels were good to begin with.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
I will now present the stunning conclusion to the Pern saga:

Pern got et by dragons.

The End.

Now you can feel better.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reader
Member # 3888

- posted      Profile for reader   Email reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Dragonsinger and Dragonsong have always been among my favorite YA books.

As for the rest - the premise of the Pern universe is a good one, but the novels themselves mostly don't do it justice.

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by UofUlawguy:
I am honestly surprised that anybody ever thought any Pern novels were good to begin with.

Her YA Pern novels Dragonsinger and Dragonsong were great. As far as I could tell the rest of the Pern novels were completely unreadable.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
...are those the books about like, the girl, and she gets a bronze dragon or something, and that's like extra special?

Because I think I read something like that once, except it was a short story. Or maybe it was an excerpt.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by UofUlawguy:

I read the first one, and it was OK enough for me to start the second one. I then got bored and ended up getting distracted and never finished it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
The first Harper's Hall book was great, the other two were just slightly above mediocre. The first was very focused and well done, a classic ugly-duckling story, the other two didn't quite know where to go, though the premise was interesting...

Menolly was a fascinating protaganist and the Head Harp guy (What was his name? I just remember that it was cool and long...) was also a really strong character. I liked that trilogy, but Anne McCaffrey's other books never did much for me.

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I read the first one, and it was OK enough for me to start the second one. I then got bored and ended up getting distracted and never finished it.

You're not missing anything. When I was a teenager, I read about a dozen of them before I realized that they weren't anything special. I believe that a series should end at some point, but the Dragon series will continue till the end of time, and it will continue to be mediocre.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
Anne McCaffrey is just slightly better than Margaret Weis.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Pern became a brand rather than a story.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, the original thread topic sure went south quick. I guess them's the breaks, eh?

I read the first 11 or 12 Pern books starting when I was about 13 I think, and I remember loving them at the time. They may not stand the test of time as great, influential literary works, but I think they have their place. They were among books that I think led me to some of the things I've loved since.

[I did a lot of 'think'-ing in this post, didn't I. [Roll Eyes] ]

[Edited for clarity]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*cries*

*sticks fingers in ears and sings*

[Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.