FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pregnancy Crank Call

Author Topic: Pregnancy Crank Call
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a crank call from someone claiming to be one of my friends and PREGNANT. She called crying and I asked who it was since it came up as a Restricted No., and then said a friend's name, and she said "yes".

I did figure it out eventually and my advice was good, general advice about options and talking to a religious somebody is she was religious, and me not being able to tell her what to do, and considering whether she'd had alcohol during the pregnancy so far, etc. etc. Maybe this random girl WAS pregnant? And needed someone to talk to? I don't know, weirdness. I have no idea whether she randomly dialed me, or somehow knows me, or knows someone who knows my number. Very sketched out right now.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hate to think it was a crank call, but a wrong number. Weird.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a really stooopid question. Why are they called "crank calls"? For years I thought it was "prank calls" which just makes so much more sense to me.

What is a crank? Something you turn to move a motor? A person who is cranky? [Dont Know]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
A crank is also someone who is wrong in the head or "out there". So a crank call is a completely "out there" call; different from a "prank call".
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
So there are "prank calls" as well? And the difference is whether or not it was intended as a joke?

Man, I've gotten some "crank calls", then. Some people out there are a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Was it a common name?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say necessarily a joke, bev, but at least to "have fun with" the person you're calling.

Whereas a crank call can be anything from someone who insists that, "no, YOU have the wrong number" (yup, gotten that one, he was really drunk) to the guy who had the wrong number for Budget Suites when our phone was one number off and kept calling back when I gave him the right number to ask me for it again (instead of writing it down [Wall Bash] ) at one in the morning! [Mad]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely an uncommon name.

When I figured out that it was fishy (her voice stopped sounding like she was crying and started to have an accent, which my friend does not) I asked who it was and she quoted the unusual name I'd said when I was trying to figure out who was crying on my phone. Then she said she had to go when I asked her for more information that would have confirmed her identity. Definitely not my friend or anyone whose voice I recognize . . . weird.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.