FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best backpacks for travel

Author Topic: Best backpacks for travel
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy - in preparation for the Great European Journey™ I'm researching backpacks for my partner and I.

We're not going to be packing heavy and we want to be able to a week's worth of clothes, our personals and probably a sleeping bag each, in case of dodgy hostel beds. It'd be nice if it had one of those systems for securing the packs for check-in. We are, after all, Australians with a stop-over in Asia. We'd like to reduce the chance of being accidentally turned into drug-mules.

Any suggestions?

(BTW - turns out we won't be doing France after all now, unfortunately. Our Austrian hosts convinced us that given the time of year our 'trip through the countryside' had fewer benefits than visting Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Hall, Shaffhausen, Zurich, Barcelona and London, spending a few days in each, but concentrating most of our time in Hall - which is right near Innsbruck - skiing!!!!!)

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you actually plan on camping, I'd go for a liner in the place of a full sleeping bag. It's much lighter and more compact.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no. No camping. It'll be the dead of Winter while we're there. The only reason we're taking the sleeping bags is to avoid mangy hotel linen.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Then you don't need much more than fresh sheets, no?

And drug muling is actually an effective way to pay for your trip. Really.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

Obviously you haven't been paying attention to how Australians are being targeted in South-East Asia at the moment!

I've had the sleeping-bag given to me on good advice - sheets tend to pick up dirt, smells and other unsavoury stuff - particularly as it can be difficult to keep track of which side was up against those oh-so-unsavoury beds.

With sleeping bags you're always warm, you always know which side to not sleep on, and you can snuggle up in blankets if you're on trains and can't afford sleeper-class.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Troubadour:
Obviously you haven't been paying attention to how Australians are being targeted in South-East Asia at the moment!

Um, no. Please expand on this comment. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,16879210%255E953,00.html
http://www.theage.com.au/news/corby-case/corby-marks-one-year-since-her-arrest/2005/10/07/1128562999801.html
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=60406
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/australian-in-sumatra-faces-20year-jail-term/2005/09/27/1127586845388.html

Here are a few news stories about Australians arrested in Asia recently on drug charges.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

Additionally, Indonesion authorities have confirmed (tho I saw it on the TV news, so I don't have a link) that because of our party attitude in Asia, that Australians are targeted by their police force for potential drug charges.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Nato, thanks for the links, but all they are are accounts of Australians up on charges. Nowhere did it even say that Australians were being targeted, unless I'm blind.

I did, however, find this article which says, in part, this:
quote:
Foreign Minister Alexander Downer says he does not believe Australians are being targeted by Indonesian police in a crackdown on illegal drugs.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I would recommend checking out Jansport brand. They have a long history of developing backpacks that work well as luggage. I just bought a sort of "locker" on wheels that has backpack straps on it too. I used a backpack/duffel all over Europe one year and it became my favorite bag until a shampoo bottle exploded inside it. Turns out some component of shampoo sets off the bomb detection equipment at airports (in the US at least). This bag will never again pass the "swab test" at an airport because some cheap shampoo bottle leaked.

Arrrggghhh.

Oh well, I now have a better one that has wheels and a GREAT handle. Definition of great handle is one that I don't have bend over like Quasimodo to use, and it doesn't sit in rails on the outside of the bag (because then you can NEVER check the bag and hope to be able to extract or retract the handle ever again.

Anyway, Jansport will almost certainly have something that will meet your needs.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

So what happens to unsuspecting travellers that have had this type of shampoo leak and try to go through US customs?

See, this is why I didn't get an around-the-world ticket and visit the US as well. Every single one of my friends who has been to the US has a horror story about getting through.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.