FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Opinions wanted on a photograph

Author Topic: Opinions wanted on a photograph
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going through a bunch of family photos and trying to decide which ones to pull out and scrapbook. Time consuming, but fun.

My mom snapped some pics of the kids last summer and I found one of Abigail I absolutely loved. What I can't decide is whether to print it in color or black and white, whether to crop it or leave it full size. So I figured you guys would give me some good opinions.

full size color version

cropped black and white

To keep this from being entire self-serving, feel free to post any photos that you've found recently that you love. [Smile]

Edit: It would be nice if I could type well enough to spell my own child's name right.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Fabulous picture, and I like it both ways. Sorry, but I cannot be of help. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually like door #3, cropped full size.

I definitely would stay color though, because of the red, blue, and green in the photo. It's visually appealing.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I say color all the way. No question.

Not sure how I feel about cropping it though.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Okay here is a color cropped version
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely go with the color. And yes, please post a cropped color for comparison purposes. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great picture. I vote for the color, full size version.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Color, no cropping.

The color is absolutely beautiful in this picture. Green trees, red dress, white skin. Perfect. Her slight blushing is really cute. [Smile]

I prefer the non-cropped picture because it accentuates the fact that she's a little girl in a big, big world. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Color, cropped.

Beautiful picture!!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
As I think about it, I would crop it, just not as closely as the B&W was. I like having an even green frame around her. But the amount of green there at the moment is excessive.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, I think the original should be cropped, but not so much.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

thanks guys.

My mom has gotten really, really good with her photos of the kids. She has a knack of catching them when they're not posing. Abigail is her favorite subject because she is disdainful of the camera - she doesn't particularly care if you take her picture or not so it's easy to catch her more natural. The other kids clown for the camera or avoid it like the plague.

Although, Mom loves this "pensive look" with Abigail so much, I have very few photos of Abigail smiling!

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I would probably play around with leaving the eyes in color, but everything else in black and white. Just to see how it looked.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I love the color version (like everyone else! [Big Grin] ). And Belle, that is one beautiful daughter you have.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, she's so cute! It's been forever since I've seen your kids! [Frown]

Plus, I agree with most everyone -- keep the color, and crop it a bit.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I prefer it uncropped as well. The background is an important part of the picture.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I always think eyes in color/everything else black and white pictures look like freaky possesed demon children. Or bad sci-fi movie effects. I know some people like it, but I've just totally never understood why.

So, yeah. My vote would be against that one. [Wink]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*muttergrumble* I like them all. [Razz]

EVEN the black and white one. But I'm biased.

And yes, your mom is really getting good, Belle. [Smile]

I'd go with the not so cropped and color. You want the green in there (with the nice blurring for the nice depth of field to make Abigail pop out) but when it's a lot of that green, it overwhelms the arresting nature of Abigail and her eyes.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay then, maybe Abigail in color, and the background in black and white.

I also like those painted black and white pictures.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Because I feel like bragging on my mom, here are some photos of the kids in the creek at the park near our house:

Emily in the creek

Daniel really needed a haircut in this one

This ones not in the creek, it was taken the day of her dance recital

yet another unsmiling Abigail

Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
She's almost smiling there...
They are all adorable!

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, it depends on how you are scrapbooking. I find that it is harder to scrapbook black and white photos unless you are going for a theme. That said, I do like it black and white, but I would photoshop to sharpen her and fade the background a bit.

I'll add my vote to color, slightly less cropped.

What great photos!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Color, cropped.

(Anyone else notice the resemblance to River? What's she going as for Halloween?)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm totally late on my opinion, I guess, but I like the B&W cropped best.

My reasons are that what I find most attractive about the photo is the expression in her eyes and mouth. Color detracts from these, IMO. In the color one you see beautiful blue eyes. In the B&W one the focus is totally on the expression of the face without the destraction of the color. It comes across as a much deeper representation of her personality (what I perceive it to be, of course) .

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
They are all beautiful versions, Belle, which makes it hard to choose. My favorite would probably be color, somewhere inbetween the original size and the cropped size (probably just making her centered in the picture).

Your mom really has some greats shots! No wonder you want to brag about her!

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mariann
Member # 8724

- posted      Profile for Mariann   Email Mariann         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the color one, since she has such beautiful eyes. The cropped version would probably look great too.

~M

Posts: 70 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Father Time
Member # 7985

- posted      Profile for Father Time   Email Father Time         Edit/Delete Post 
I like both of the cropped versions.

What a doll! Very photogenic.

Good stuff

Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
my goodness-what a beautiful picture. Beautiful little girl too. I definately like the color full size.
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
The cropped image looks better because it obeys the rule of thirds better:

http://www.betterphoto.com/exploring/tips/thirds.asp

http://photoinf.com/General/NAVY/Subject_and_Rule_of_Thirds.htm (funny page, but still good info)

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I should add, the depth of field is marvelous, the way the background is so blurry. As is the lighting. Unbelievable shots!
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the pensive look in black and white. On the other hand losing the crystal blue eyes is a pretty big sacrifice. So I guess it would depend on what else I was scrap booking with.

I like both uncropped. It's a beautiful shot.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
You could do both. The black and white and color. That can work when scrapbooking. If you are just going to do one or the other, I would crop the color one just a little.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I would go with both uncropped color and the cropped black and white, on the same page. I could really see a great 12x12 with both, especially if you tilt one and keep the other one level. Matt with contrasting color for the color shot but gray for the black and white, and then do your journalling on a gray sheet atop a color matt.

The other shots are beautiful too. I love the one of Emily.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askew
Member # 8438

- posted      Profile for Askew   Email Askew         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pic and subject!
Depends on your purpose. For a family scrapbook I would choose a less cropped color. The b/w is more artsy. If you have an artsy family and scrap book the b/w would be better.
Now if you want to cheat, print both and put one under the other and switch them occasionally.
The choice for those who can't choose.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
What lovely photos (and lovely children [Smile] ) - your Mother is a great photographer Belle.

I like the colour one. Fantastic colours.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Belle, I've done up a *very* quick photo retouch on both the images, so you can see what improvements a little colour-correction can do. If you'd like to take a look, email me!
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.