FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Gorbachev has come to this??

Author Topic: Gorbachev has come to this??
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay - is it just me -- or does this seem like a long way down from his "peak" as the President of one of the largest nations in the world?

Mikhail Gorbachev is coming to Kansas to play chess at the little Bethany College in the small community of Lindsborg (their 125th anniversary celebration).

I mean -- I think this is great. I'm tempted to travel there (it isn't far from me) simply to see him, although I don't consider chess a 'spectator sport'.

But heck -- we can't even get our own President to visit our little state. I'm really surprised Gorbachev is doing this kind of tour now.....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's fabulous. Once you've been the leader of the bound world, there's no place to go but down. Traveling around the US playing games sounds wonderful.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of big wig people travel. I'm surprised it is for chess in this case... I remember hearing from many visiting people, Margaret Thatcher being the one I still remember well.

Perhaps the elevated elite are mingling with us lowlies more often... Kinda like when Card posts on this forum.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he enjoys it...

He's coming to my college (DePauw) to give a speech in a few weeks. But we tend to get really excellent speakers here - although Gorbachev is the most important one we've had in awhile.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] [Cry] [Cry]

I wanna see Gorbachev! There's so much I'ld want to talk to him about!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
When is he coming to DePauw? I could probably make it there for that.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
I got Gorbachev's autograph at an election rally for students in Moscow in 1996. I even talked to him.

Of course, all I said was "Spasibo, Mikhail Sergeevich!" when I got the autograph. But I did make eye contact.

By the way, he didn't do very well in the election, getting less votes than "none of the above."

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Another older disposed of great leader, Winston Churchill, traveled the college circuit in the 50's and 60's. He visited a small college in Missouri, called Westminster, right plum smack in the middle of Missouri farm country. The schools biggest previous claim to fame was it was close to the Missouri State Fair.

During his small speech in the middle of nowhere he said some amazing things that set the tone of the cold war for 40 years.

It was there he coined the phrase "Iron Curtain".

So big leaders in small town America is not the same as big leaders falling down.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
He's coming October 27th, blacwolve.
Here's a link to DePauw's news article for more info.

Come up and see Raia and me. Then I can be real [Smile]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I looked it up earlier. I have a class at 3:30 on Thursdays. I could maybe ask the prof to let me skip, but we only have it once a week and the grade is entirely attendance based, so I'm not thinking it will work.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I mean -- I think this is great. I'm tempted to travel there (it isn't far from me) simply to see him, although I don't consider chess a 'spectator sport'.

Oh sure... Chess is a big deal in Russia too. Quite a few Grand Masters have come from there.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, Jhai, you beat me. I was going to say, no, actually, Gorbachev has come to this!

[Wink]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.