FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm stopping at 14. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I'm stopping at 14.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If I ever get there.

But I'm amazed at this woman, who just had her 16th child and wants to do it again!

I think I would be overwhelmed by the time I had 3 kids under 2!

I know huge families used to be a lot more common. It seems to me that it would be easier to do it while living a simpler life (although the advances of modern medicine probably help!)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, the Duggars are WEIRD. When he's campaigning around Arkansas, his older kids come and perform songs to help their daddy run for State rep.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a family that has a bunch of natural children like that, and they all had the same innitials: J.A.M.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
A gal about 65 miles north of here had her 20th child (TWENTY!!!) at the same birthing center I had Rainbow. The staff at the center talked about it when we were doing our tour. They were talking about how their standards for admission varied widely by who was coming in, how close they appear to be to birth and how many rooms they have open. They said that a first time mom may have to wait a bit, but the gal who was on her 20th was admitted immediately without question, as they figured she had a pretty good handle on how much longer she had. They said she gave birth 2 hours later. [Smile]

I can't quite imagine that many kids. Our next door neighbors when I was a kid had 12. Their house was chaos. The kids loved coming over to our house because it was quiet. But then I had a good friend who was the oldest of 8, and their house was a well oiled machine.

kq, you want FOURTEEN???

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

Some guy I knew from medschool had like 10 kids. Wife got pregnant again accidentally during his third year there. They had a big article on her family once and how she managed to feed and clothe them all while the dad was a student in medschool. One thing they did was have the wife and kids be mock patients for us students. It pays well, I guess. We'd have to do pretend exams and histories on adults and kids as part of training, so we ALL knew the wife and kiddoes by the end of the year.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to want fourteen.

Then I had a couple. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted three, got four.

I'm done.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JannieJ
Member # 8683

- posted      Profile for JannieJ   Email JannieJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, my. That's a lot of potty training.
Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
kq, you want FOURTEEN???
NO.

Eventually (EVENTUALLY!) I want 6 or 7. Maybe 8. But I'd really like to stop there.

But, you know, accidents happen. However, if we ever, ever get to 14, I am having my tubes tied.

Maybe 12.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

If things had gone in my life as planned/expected, I would probably have four or five by now.

One of my HS classmates just had her EIGHTH.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiro1000
Member # 6905

- posted      Profile for hiro1000   Email hiro1000         Edit/Delete Post 
I think one is too much.

I'll have as many kids as I can support.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
I have (will soon have, whatever...) 4. I'm ambivalent about having another. I have no plans to have 14 or anywhere close to that. I must say I already get a LOT of flak about having too many kids, even from complete strangers.
Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
You're usin' up all our oxygen!
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Breathe less. [Razz]
Miriya
Member # 7822

I have three mature maple trees in my yard, plus 4 other unidentified large trees, all producing oxygen. Does that help? [Wink]
Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*snort*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Wow! I cannot fathom having that many children! I'm glad they are so happy about their family, though. I have a great deal of respect for people who can have a happy home and care for lots of children.

Personally, I would like to have at least 2 kids. How many I end up having will depend on their temperments, the timing of births, etc., but I doubt I will have more than 4.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JannieJ
Member # 8683

- posted      Profile for JannieJ   Email JannieJ         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a geranium, too.
Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know huge families used to be a lot more common. It seems to me that it would be easier to do it while living a simpler life (although the advances of modern medicine probably help!)
Modern medicine definitely would help. Especially if you want all your kids to live, which was not generally the case back in the olden days. There's a small graveyard near where I used to live, which has the graves of four "Infants" from the same family, plus a wife, who died on the same day as one of the infants.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Modern medicine definitely would help. Especially if you want all your kids to live, which was often not the case back in the olden days. There's a small graveyard near where I used to live, which has the graves of four "Infants" from the same family, plus a wife, who died on the same day as one of the infants.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

This durn thing ate my reply.

kq, try not to be too rigid in what you want, cuz you know, you might change your mind. *laugh* 8, no, 10, no, 12, no, 14 at the most. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmph, at this rate, it's not what I want, it's what I get! [Razz]

If I hit 8 any time soon, I'm going to have to seriously limit my Hatrack time. Since it's in the water.

Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
i want, like, 2.

there is only one problem that i can see with this family-- they ALL have names that start with J. that is just ridiculous.

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

See, if I were going to have more, I'd want to continue with my theme of noun names. I have Rainbow and Christian. To which I might have to add Blender. Spatula. Snow. Bulldozer. Oh, the possibilities are endless!

It's a fortunate thing that there's no possibility of us having any more. [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I know a family where the father (actually my favorite bishop ever so far) is Jay P. Morgan (I have no idea what the "P" is for, but he goes by "Jay P."), the mother is Julene, and the kids are Jared, Jessica, Jaime, and Jennifer. They're all J. Morgan, although I don't think they gave any of the kids a "P" middle name.
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a family with three girls named Summer, Autumn and Winter.

My best friend (who married my favorite cousin) is the oldest of 4 girls named Heidi, Heather, Hillary, and Haley.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I have 2 close friends who have 6 kids each, and I have to say that it isn't as hard as I would have thought-- if the kids aren't too close together, the olders can help with the youngers. I know another family who has 11 (or maybe 12, I'm not sure if the youngest of the brood is hers or a grandchild)and the older kids help out a lot.

But in all three of these families, they live in the country and grow/raise a lot of their own food.

I have 2, and I wouldn't have minded more.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
One kid would be frustrating enough...
ut 16 @_@

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having 2. Option on 3 but that is it. (I tend to lean towards the replacing myself and Tony - and maybe one more [Smile] )

I cannot even begin to fathom having 6 children, let alone 16.

Edit: Tony and I also plan to adopt at least one and maybe more older (less "desirable") child/children at some stage - when we are financially and emotionally ready to do so.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, imagine the jokes trailing Winter in high school.

Personally, I think 30 would be over the top. But jeez, it's not like childbirth is hard or anything, right? [Wink]

*prepares for smitage*

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*smites Joldo with the Ketchup of Righteousness*
Miriya
Member # 7822

*ponders posting a link to that post in the pregnancy thread and watching the ensuing smitage*
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's wierd that all the kids got the dad's "J" initial and nobody got the mom's "M". If you're going to do something wierd like that you should make it more equitable. [Razz]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
*blocks smite with Mustard of Less Calories Than Ketchup*
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
My father was fourth or fifth (I can never remember) of 15, and 13 survived childhood. A second cousin once removed had 17 children, no multiples (or was it 18 or 19?). I have many other more removed relatives who had 16+ children. I have two ancestors who both had 25 children, but in the one case, split up among 2 wives (not at the same time - they kept dying in childbirth) and the other split up among 3 wives (again, not at the same time.) Imagine, on my father's side, I have (I haven't counted, I'm estimating) 60 or 70 cousins. (Several of the children in that family never married, which is why the number's so small.)

My mother was part of a small family - only 6 children. But then, given how my parents are related to each other, those ancestors I mentioned on my father's side are also on my mother's side. [Razz]

Oh, and none of them are Mormon. It's all Mennonites.

Yeah, 20? No big deal. [Smile]

Now, having married Fahim . . . His family is almost as large as mine. Yep, life is interestin'.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I'm always unsure about how I feel about families like that. First of all, I realize that it's none of my business since I'm not the one who has to take care of and support all of those children! But wow all the same. Mr. Opera and I watched a show on a family with like 16 kids (probably this same family) and to me it just looked horrible. I can't imagine having time to truly nurture that many children, and it seemed like the older ones were kinda used as constant parents-in-training for the younger ones. I guess it all depends on how you view it, though.

space opera

edit: because

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean about the burden on the older kids, Space Opera. You reminded me of a friend of mine, he's the youngest of 7. The oldest was a girl and she really felt like a second mom. She left home and married at 18, I believe, but never had any kids of her own, guess she's had enough. But then, in the family I know with 11 (or 12) kids, the older ones are popping out kids and happy about it.

I have to say, the dad of one of the families that I know with six kids once admitted it was real hard, to have so many kids looking to him for everything, he felt a lot of pressure. A point of view I hadn't thought of, till he mentioned it; I'd always just thought about it from a "mothering" point of view. I can't imagine how hard it must be to feed/clothe/house 16 kids. Just think of the laundry! My friend with 6 kids does 3 loads/day. Every day.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend had 5 siblings. She was the oldest and constantly had to change diapers and take care of kids.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading this books when I was little, about a large family where they named each kid the first name of the list in the baby name book. *thinks* or it might have also something to do with number.

first kid=first A name
second kid=second B name

does anyone else remember something like that?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I sweated profusely until the first ultrasound that showed me my wee Nathan . . . there were multiple sets of twins on BOTH sides of the family, one generation removed, which left me quaking in my boots . . . [Angst]

I just welcomed my newest niece a few days ago - she's absolutely adorable, all 7 pounds, 6 ounces of her. My sis-n-law had her tubes tied. Three seems to be enough . . . [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
There is a musical called "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" where that occurs. The brothers' names are:
Adam
Benjamin
Caleb
Daniel
Ephram
Frank (Frankinsence (sp?))
Gideon

Alphabet and Bible names was the tradition for that story. One of the best lines?

"Momma couldn't find no "F" names in the Bible so she named him Frankinsence, 'cause he smelled so sweet."

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I remember one boy's name being Bainbridge.
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that book Mack. There were ten kids, but I think there was a set of twins whose names started with F. The mother was pregnant again and at the end of the book the kids make a bargain with the parents that the parents are 'allowed' to have another kid if the kids are allowed two pets. So they get a dog and a cat and name them with z and y names.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Yes!

...do you remember the name of the book, though?

Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't but I searched Amazon and it's kind of funny. The title is Ten Kids, No Pets , which I never would have guessed. [Big Grin]
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I remember that book!
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
*sings*

Ev-ery sperm is sa-cred
E-very sperm is great
When a sperm is wa-sted
God gets quite i-rate

[Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

NICE! [Big Grin]
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm *so* glad I'm not the only one singing Monty Python with that story....
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to have 12 or 13 children. I landed up with one. You get what you get, I suppose. But we are awfully glad that we got our wonderful son, Ephraim. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.