FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Grammer / Spelling / Capitulizashon Currection thred

Author Topic: The Grammer / Spelling / Capitulizashon Currection thred
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

- posted      Profile for Cactus Jack           Edit/Delete Post 
In the spirit of the catch-all dobie threads, catch-all out-of-context threads, and other thread-derailment-prevention threads, I offer here, for your enjoyment and delight, a place for those of you who revel in exposing the liguistic incompetence of the masses a special place, all your own, where you can mercilessly taunt and mock your lessers as they attempt to communicate with each other in the other threads.

When those heathens are feeling particularly receptive to your insights, they can open this thread and discover what errors they have been making in ingorance at a time when they're ready to receive them and become converted to the proper use of the semicolon and the ellipses. In the meantime, this thread can serve as a place for those of you "in the know" to remind each other of who you are, so that you may skip the posts of the others on those days when you are not feeling up to the task of trying to bring the heathen typists into the light of the One True Usage.

It is my privledge to be of service.

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivia would enjoy this, then.

quote:
privledge
Privilege.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Was this thread made just especially for me? I feel so honoured.

Yes, it's "honoured", not "honored", you rebellious heathens South of the Border. Skipping letters does not make you cool.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Alas, despite my efforts to be accepted, I have betrayed my ignorance.

:: Runs from thread crying ::

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

:: Runs back in, weilding two by four covered in barbed wire, wiping eyes hurriedly ::

I am tough. No one saw that.

Yes, digging_holes, this thread was created for you. Prior to today, no one has ever corrected the spelling and/or grammar of anyone on Hatrack. I thought I'd begin to address the controversy the first time it appeared, because such events have been known to cause the destruction of forums that were bound together with bonds of friendship even tighter than this one.

digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to think of a clever comeback, but I must bow in the face of such witty sarcasm.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

[whispers] Honestly, I probably shouldn't try to be funny when I'm running on as little sleep as I've had this week. I honestly didn't mean anything by any of this, so if it came across as if I'm being mean, I'm sorry. I really was trying to create a useful thread, and be clever about it. If I blew it, my bad.

But don't tell anybody I apologized. I'm trying really hard to be a two-by-four weilding meanie. [/whispers]

:: Growls loudly in case anybody is listening in ::

Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I cite about half of Half-Blood Prince?
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

You just blew it by apologizing, my dear Cactus.
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

What! I didn't apologize! I deny it! Never happened!

Somebody added a space at the end of the username and posted AS me!

andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Bad spellers of the world-UNTIE!
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

Funny, that somebody also managed to have the same member number as you. My, but these impostinators really are getting clever these days.
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

Remember, these are kids who read the Ender novels.
digging_holes
Member # 6237

Since a whole bunch of people on this forum are quite a bit older than me, I can't really picture myself calling them "kids". Of course, they do read the Ender novels.

Oh, wait, so do I... nevermind.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by digging_holes:
Wow. Was this thread made just especially for me? I feel so honoured.

Yes, it's "honoured", not "honored", you rebellious heathens South of the Border. Skipping letters does not make you cool.

And capitalizing words that don't need it and putting your commas on the wrong side of the quotation marks doesn't make you cool. Also, the omission of the u in words like that originated in Britain. Gasp!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

Ooh, you just got told, yo.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit, I like my commas outside quotation marks.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Which is right? I always put them inside because I don't know the difference.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

In America, land of the free and home of the brave, we always put them inside the quotation marks. Unless you're fugu. [Razz]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I only did that ONCE in quite a long time of posting, and only on the ONE usage mistake that absolutely drives me bonkers when I read it in something I have to edit.

I didn't mean it.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

quote:
Also, the omission of the u in words like that originated in Britain.
And that means what to me? I'm not British.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

It means that the Americans didn't come up with it, so it's sort of silly to look down your nose at Americans for it.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
The colon goes outside the quotation marks, however.

As in:

"I think there's something lodged in my" colon.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

quote:
so it's sort of silly to look down your nose at Americans for it.
First of all, Americans are the principal practitioners of letter-dropping. It may have started in Britain (or so you say, I have no way of confirming this) but it is certainly not taught there; only in the U.S. is it the norm rather than the exception. That is why it is generally called "American spelling" as opposed to "British spelling".

Secondly, I am not "looking down my nose" at Americans. I certainly have my own rather inconsistent preferences, which do tend to lean towards the British spelling most (but not all) of the time, as all good Canadian spelling does; expressing those preferences in a humourous way does not constitute "looking down my nose" at anyone.

Finally, it would be hard for me to look any direction but down when looking at Americans, since you are underneath us on the map. [Wink]

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what he was saying was that when the colonies were first planted, neither place had standardized spelling, and by the time we did there was no longer any reason (for Americans, at least) to adhere to the British rules.

Houwever, if it will make youu happuy, I will gladuly add many superfluouus letter u's to my pousts. [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
expressing those preferences in a humourous way does not constitute "looking down my nose" at anyone.
I guess it depends on what your definition of humour is, eh?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude Love
Member # 2437

- posted      Profile for Dude Love   Email Dude Love         Edit/Delete Post 
I think adding "It's Fun!" to the title of this thread would give it more hits.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

quote:
The colon goes outside the quotation marks, however.

As in:

"I think there's something lodged in my" colon.

[ROFL]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Tenets.

Tenets.

Tenets! Not tenants.

That is all.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

*hands rivka chill pill*

Check it out! It's made of Ice-9!

rivka
Member # 4859

*googles* Ah, a mythical form of ice.

That's appropriate.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
This one drives my crazy.

It's "piqued my interest" not "peaked my interest" or even "peeked my interest."

*grumbles*

Someone who wants to be a professional writer should know better.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Most people who want to be professional writers don't know better.
Joldo
Member # 6991

Well, can't we have a series of standardized tests before a person is allowed to dream of being a professional writer? [Wink]
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Although they probably know better than the general populous.

[Smile]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*narrowed eyes* That was on purpose, right?
advice for robots
Member # 2544

What was?

:halo:

BTW, rivka, cool post number! 16161!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.