FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How's this for an acronym! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How's this for an acronym!
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think I've seen that one... Oh at least, heard that before.
Grr... I can't come up with ANYthing orginal.

Just a couple weeks ago I had to COMPLETELY restart a story I was working on because I asked hatrack what philotes were and how they worked and all that and realized that I had just reinvented the damn wheel, and screwed it up so it now had square corners.

(and even that 'reinvent the wheel' thing is stolen shamelessly from one of OSC's writing classes or introductions somewhere)

[Wall Bash]
[Razz]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I met someone last week who called gay men "flight attendants". No kidding. The conversation was something like:

He: "Well, I used to work as a flight attendant, if you know what I mean."

Me: "Uh-huh."

He: "And one time me, and a friend of mine -- he was also a flight attendant, if you know what I mean, were walking together in Stone Mountain Georgia, and these real scary guys, pilot types, if you know what I mean, started hassling us and calling us queers, and so I said, 'I know you are but what am I!' And then we hightailed it out of there, believe you me! That is no place for flight attendants, if you know what I mean."

Me: "Uh-huh."

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to break it to you Uncle Dave but reinvent the wheel's a common phrase.

Tante: When he says "used to" what on earth does that mean?

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Tante: When he says "used to" what on earth does that mean?

He used to work for the airlines as a flight attendant, but is now working as a desk clerk in a hotel.

In all, he was rather odd, in an oversharing kind of way.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Yea, sounds a bit so.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I hadn't been back to answer.

I think it was Tante that got most of it.

the second T is for Transgender not transvestite.

the H is for Homosexual.

the U is for Unsure. I geuss of another form of questioning.

the M is for Metrosexual.

I saw this also with AA.

the first A for Ally.
the second A for Asexual.

It was on a poster for coming out day. I think that it takes inclusiveness to a new level.

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

I find it kind of amusing that metrosexual is included in there.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What's wrong with 'hermaphrodite'?
Androginus. ANDROGINUS. AN-DRO-GI-NUS!
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the new trend of the cave man, the retrosexual?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:

[ahem] androgynous [/ahem]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
I find it kind of amusing that metrosexual is included in there.

Yeah. 'Cause if I understand correctly, "metrosexual" is a straight man who doesn't find anything weird about using conditioner or getting a manicure. They need a support group for this? [Dont Know]
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I missed this stuff the first time I scanned through
A) There is no thing as intrasexual. It's intersexed.
B) I really hope there's nothing called Hermaphrodite anymore because that's not really a PC term.

Apparently, there's an Intersex Society that has a newsletter called something like "Hermaphrodites with an Attitude".
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:

Actually, I thought it was androgunus. That "y" was pronounced "u", like in Tyrannus Rufus.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Frisco:
quote:
"Person with a disability...
*ahem* I assume you mean "differently abled".
I've started replacing "Politically Correct" with "Clarity Challenged" or "Professionally Offended".
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Dude, Google's never heard of it. Must not really exist. [Big Grin]

But I expect people have it mostly right.

Is "queer" a non-offensive term? Does "questioning" mean not sure what your sexual orientation is?

I know a lot of people who identify as "queer". I hate it. A lot. But so long as they don't try to apply it to me, there's no much I can do about it.
ThePygmalionEffect
Member # 8649

- posted      Profile for ThePygmalionEffect   Email ThePygmalionEffect         Edit/Delete Post 
The only term my brother finds offensive is fagg*t, other than that he isn't offended. And I would say that having a gay twin brother adds a lot of interesting aspects to life. We are 21 and have an apartment with my girlfriend and his boyfriend. So it's the four of us and we all get along great. I'll admit, it took a while to get used to seeing him making out with another guy, but now it doesn't bother me at all. But one thing I've learned is that it's the people who aren't open-minded and haven't been exposed to it that are so against people being gay. I hated it at first b/c I was brought up Christian and taught to hate it. Now that I've been exposed I'm supportive. They really do love each other a great deal and it's warming to see it and be a part of it. If only everyone could get passed the non-understanding.

A Perfect Circle- EmoTive, awesome CD, great message

Posts: 40 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
Sorry, forgot it was Greek.

Hermaphrodite sounds weird. Leave the gods alone.

kojabu
Member # 8042

JH, hermaphrodite does not equal androgynous.
kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
quote:
I missed this stuff the first time I scanned through
A) There is no thing as intrasexual. It's intersexed.
B) I really hope there's nothing called Hermaphrodite anymore because that's not really a PC term.

Apparently, there's an Intersex Society that has a newsletter called something like "Hermaphrodites with an Attitude".
Ok, well I'm not going to go about calling someone who is Intersexed a Hermaphrodite unless they tell me so.

Just like I'm not going to call you queer because you don't want to be called queer.

kojabu
Member # 8042

Oh and both hermaphrodite and homosexual were coined in the 60's (I think) by doctors who thought being anything other than straight and having normal genitalia was a disease. They are pathologizing terms.

I know there are people out there who don't mind being called homosexual, etc, but that is why, at my job (an LGBT resource center), the term is not PC.

I for one hate the word homosexual because it sounds icky, it sounds medical, I just don't like the way it sounds. I don't have a bloody disease you stinky doctors you.

/end of spiel

Lisa
Member # 8384

I hate the word "homosexual" as well. It makes it sounds like it's all about sex, which is silly.
ThePygmalionEffect
Member # 8649

- posted      Profile for ThePygmalionEffect   Email ThePygmalionEffect         Edit/Delete Post 
But yet that's the way the world looks at it. Give it ten years, it will change. Hopefully.
Posts: 40 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
How about we start a group called HS- Homo Sapiens?
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I find that term insulting. The politically correct term is JF -- Just Folks.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.