FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ear Wax

Author Topic: Ear Wax
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the best way to get rid of it!

...and please don't say q-tips...

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peek
Member # 7688

- posted      Profile for Peek   Email Peek         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, i always find it best to use my fingers.

Dude [Cool] peekaboo

Yeah.

Posts: 112 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Wha?! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ifmyheartcouldbeat
Member # 8692

- posted      Profile for ifmyheartcouldbeat   Email ifmyheartcouldbeat         Edit/Delete Post 
Putting Debrox in your ear can make it break apart and come out easier...
Posts: 82 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
No Q-tips.

Use Hydrogen Peroxide and a tissue.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Or a mild water/vinegar soak to loosen it, then flush.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
CT recommends olive oil in this thread on Sake.

WARNING: Not very pleasant images of the inner ear can be found here.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dav
Member # 8217

- posted      Profile for Dav           Edit/Delete Post 
Never use Q-tips in your ear! Those things are scary...

You can buy ear drops at most pharmacies. I find those work ok when I get ear trouble. "Murine" is the name of a common brand that seems to work, but I bet if there's a cheap store brand that should work just as well.

If it's bad, you may need to flush out the wax with lukewarm water after softening it up with the drops. There are rubber bulb "syringes" just for that purpose, which you can also buy at the pharmacy usually right in the same aisle as the drops.

In the worst cases, I've had to go to the doctor to clear my ears out. But it's been years since I've had it that bad.

Hopefully yours will be fixed with just some drops.

Posts: 120 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have build up, I'd suggest the rubber bulb syringe with warm water thing. I had that done once when I was a really little kid because I had a build up. It's a sort of odd feeling when you have the water in there breaking up the wax and then you have it all trickling out later on.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.sinuscarecenter.com/waxaao.html
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
My dad would use a rubber bulb syringe on my sister whenever she had a lot of wax when we were younger. Um and fingers kinda work.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that keys, specifically car keys, are the best available tool for earwax removal.

For extra points, perform the removal in a restaurant.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*puke smiley*
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
uw, is this for you or your child?
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Remind me why we don't use q-tips again?
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

It's for me.. I don't know if my 2 year old has lots of ear wax. [Dont Know]
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what it's called. However, it requires making a cone out of paper, sticking the small end in your ear, and burning something on the other end. It creates a vacuum and sucks a good chunk of wax out. My sister had it done, and it worked incredibly well. Unfortunately, I don't remember all the specifics on it. I've heard, too, that you shouldn't do it too much or you'll start to become dependent on it.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
'kay. I was going to have all sorts of extra sympathy for you if it was your 2 year old. My little daughter is an earwax factory, stockpiling for the winter. I've had to help hold her down while nurses irrigate her ear...it's a singularly unpleasant experience for all involved.

In any case, go to the pharmacy and ask which ear wax loosener they recommend. Then use lots of nice warm water to flush it out. They'll be able to direct you how.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Or a mild water/vinegar soak to loosen it, then flush.

Vinegar? I've never heard of that. Does it really work? If it does ..Cool.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
really use the murine or whatever brand earwax stuff, it hurts less than vinegar(at least for me).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Emily has problems with a lot of wax buildup in the ear, we flush with warm water and the bulb syringe.

The thing to remember is it can take a long time. You'll flush the ear many times before you get anything out, usually. Then, it will all start coming out. So be patient.

But personally, I think the water flushing is safe and effective, just takes some time.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob Porter
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for Jacob Porter           Edit/Delete Post 
Da_Goat, that's called candling.

I tried it once, and it was kind of fun. This website says that it doesn't work though.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candling.html

If you want to try it, you can probably find ear candles at your local touchy-feely health food store.

Posts: 178 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute. Do I have this straight? You stick a wick in your ear wax, and light it like a candle sticking out of the side of your head?

And this is better and safer than Q-Tips?

Uh, no thank you.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
Ear Candling was actually developed in ancient Egypt, if I'm not mistaken. Linen strips are dipped in paraffin wax and then rolled into a tube that tapers just at one end. You stick that smaller end in the ear and light the other end. The fire at the top draws out the wax from the ear.

I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself because #1, you could easily light your hair on fire, and #2, it's dangerous to pull out too much of the wax. Your ears need some wax! Check local spas or maybe accupuncturists or chiropractors. Someone should be able to do it for you.

It's not a "quack," by the way. Cut open the end of the candle when you're done and you'll see all that nasty wax inside! I've shown way to many people their wax at the end of a treatment!

For preventative maintenance on your ears, eat lots of apples! The chewing helps move the wax out of your ear.

(I love going to the doc to get my ears irrigated! It feel so cool!)

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Ear candling sounds like fun to me.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Kojabu, all I can say is that you have a warped and bizarre idea of fun. But, if you like, sometime we can get together, and I'll set your head on fire. For fun.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Tante: [ROFL] I melted some stuff with a candle flame when I was younger. [Evil]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
I melted some stuff with a candle flame when I was younger.

Yeah, but, stuff from inside your head? [Eek!]
kojabu
Member # 8042

Well, no. Ear coning sounds fun too though.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there will be wax inside the ear cone when you're done. It won't be from inside your ear, though. If you don't believe me, try lighting one in an empty glass jar. What accumulates is exactly the same as what you get when you use an ear instead.

Many people find the warmth pleasant, but contrary to the claims, ear candling doesn't actually DO anything. Except occasionally causing uncomfortable burns or eardrum perforation . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Aw man, that takes all the fun out of it.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

So, Ko, you're saying that I can't set your head on fire?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ads at bottom:

"Buy Earwax Remover Here"
"Wholesale Ear Candles"

I know that second one means cones, but it cracks me up; I have this picture of candles shaped like ears.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

No Tante, alas, you can't. We can set other things on fire though.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.