FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Buffy the Vampire Slayer big box set

Author Topic: Buffy the Vampire Slayer big box set
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to turn into a Whedon pimp -- at least any more than usual -- but Amazon dropped the price for the massive 40-disc 7-season Buffy box set ("The Chosen Collection") down to $129. Which is, frankly, dirt cheap for 7 seasons of a popular show. (Note the handy Amazon link at the top of the forums)

Also noticed that Warner Brothers dropped the prices on a lot of their TV DVD sets to $19.95. Just picked up Smallville seasons 1 and 2, both of which were around $50 when they came out.

Just sayin'.

[ October 14, 2005, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, cool. I'll have to pick this up.

Using the link at the top of the page, of course. [Smile] /plug

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ifmyheartcouldbeat
Member # 8692

- posted      Profile for ifmyheartcouldbeat   Email ifmyheartcouldbeat         Edit/Delete Post 
o my god. i want it ... i mean i already have all the seasons...but...i want more! [Wink]
Posts: 82 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It's on my wish list. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a permanent drop? Definitely don't have that sort of money to hand right now.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
so is it the whole series, or selected episodes that span the ehtire series? or what?

I'm maninly confused because they have two sets:

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The Chosen Collection (40 Disc DVD Set) (Seasons 1-7) (1997)"

and

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The Complete Series (Seasons 1-7) (1997)"

and i'm wondering what the differance is.

Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The Chosen Set has a cool box! And an extra disc!

Actually the complete series offer came out last December, it's a bundle of all 7 sets. The new set is the same thing, but bundled into a single set with an extra disc of extra stuff. Also, it's cheaper.

If you own all the sets, prolly no reason to buy this one. If you don't, it's a great price to start. If you have dual ownership with someone else (like me), it's worth consideration...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the entire series just before this cool box came out. Cost me a bundle. [Grumble]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I got the entire series just before this cool box came out. Cost me a bundle
I know what you mean. I got mine this summer and then this comes out. I wish they were doing something like LOTR did with their box sets where you can buy just the box from them. If they would sell the extra dvd and box for Buffy I would buy that but becuase I already have all seven seasons, screw that.
Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
I just have season 7 so far, so the cost of the chosen collection is still probably less than buying the other 6 seperately.
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting The Chosen Collection, even though I technically can't afford it (I'll just, y'know, not eat for a few weeks [Wink] ). After getting into Buffy via Netflix this past summer, I've been looking for a way to acquire the entire series, but until they announced this set, the full 7 seasons would've been just too pricey. $129 for seven full seasons of any TV show, however, is an absolute steal... hell, I've seen individual seasons of some shows retail for nearly that price (*cough cough* Deep Space Nine).
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I was never really able to get into Buffy. I love Firefly, though, so I'm left confused and frightened.

Is Buffy the same quality as FF? Or... what?

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ifmyheartcouldbeat
Member # 8692

- posted      Profile for ifmyheartcouldbeat   Email ifmyheartcouldbeat         Edit/Delete Post 
i haven't seen firefly..will soon tho. My sister is obsessed. I heard firefly is better. But i think it depends on what you like. Firefly is more scifi right? They both have the whedon touch though. So if you like his writings/direction...you'll most likely enjoy Buffy as well. The first seasons are kinda weak though. The later seasons though...outstanding. BUFFY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED [Smile]
Posts: 82 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they're both amazing in completely different ways.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
Not to turn into a Whedon pimp -- at least any more than usual -- but Amazon dropped the price for the massive 40-disc 7-season Buffy box set ("The Chosen Collection") down to $129. Which is, frankly, dirt cheap for 7 seasons of a popular show. (Note the handy Amazon link at the top of the forums)

Also noticed that Warner Brothers dropped the prices on a lot of their TV DVD sets to $19.95. Just picked up Smallville seasons 1 and 2, both of which were around $50 when they came out.

Just sayin'.

I just checked amazon, and it had smallville 1 & 2 listed at 29.97 each. I wonder if the price jumped up in less than a day.

darn...and I was going to get them. [Smile]
oh well.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. After Hush, The Body, and Once More, With Feeling, it's hard not to see Buffy is pretty brilliant.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I'd buy the set, but I don't want season 5 near me... it's too agh. That sentance sucks, but I'm not going to fix it because I don't know what I want to say.

I'd buy all the other seasons, even 4 which has a couple of freaking amazing episodes, Spike being awesome ("Hurry up! Passions is on!"), and some mediocrity. And 1. Which has moments of Angel before he becomes an annoying soulful brooding wimp.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
After Hush, The Body, and Once More, With Feeling, it's hard not to see Buffy is pretty brilliant
Dont forget The Gift, Becoming P2, and The Prom!

Also, I dont really like FF but I do love Buffy so I guess to each his own.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Season 5 is my favorite season. And I just started watching Season 1 tonight and couldn't finish the third episode it creeped me out so much. If it wasn't 3 am I'd be watching the 6th season for something a little lighter.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Don't forget Angel! "Smile Time" is one of the funniest hours of television ever made, IMO. Nothing beats a brooding dark hero who is magically turned into a hyperactive Muppet. [Smile] Unfortunately, there is no "Chosen Collection" equivalent for Angel yet, but once they make it, it's miiiiiiiiiine.

Lalo, I was a Firefly fan first as well, and after watching through all of Buffy and Angel via Netflix, consider the Buffyverse shows to be the equal of Firefly in overall quality, although Firefly is the most *consistently* good of the three. Buffy, in particular, experiences some severe ups and downs in the later seasons, although I'd still take a relatively bad episode of Buffy over just about anything else on TV. However, between Buffy's seven seasons and Angel's five, there are plenty of absolutely brilliant episodes to be found, including the ones Joldo and Humean listed. "Once More, With Feeling" (the musical episode) and "The Body" have, to my own surprise, managed to top "Out of Gas" and "Objects in Space" on my list of favorite television episodes.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that Firefly had the most consistent writing of the three shows.

Angel had a lot of crappy episodes, especially during the first few seasons. However, the Dark Wesley story arc and the way the show wrapped up its final season was absolutely amazing.

"Smile Time" was a great episode. I think my favorite Angel episode, however, was the one where everyone reverted back to their teenage selves and Fred kept asking where she could "score some weed." [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I just checked amazon, and it had smallville 1 & 2 listed at 29.97 each. I wonder if the price jumped up in less than a day.

MIght be just at some retail outlets. Got mine at WalMart.

Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beren One Hand:
I agree that Firefly had the most consistent writing of the three shows.

That's probably because it lasted all of half a season, while Buffy had 7 seasons and Angel had 5.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Perhaps, but I'm talking about episode-to-episode quality. Firefly only had one episode that I'd consider a stinker in its full run, whereas Angel and Buffy both had a few misses every few episodes- with the exception of Angel's fifth season, which I would put up there with Firefly.
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I am kicking myself for not pre-ordering this when the price was so low.

But $129, which really, really cheap for such a collection, is a big enough amount of money that I hesitated. While my finances are MUCH more stable now, I'm still playing a bit of catch-up from my long unemployment a few years back, so I watch my money carefully. I figured I'd wait until I knew I had the funds available, and buy it then.

But it's not that cheap ANYWHERE now. [Frown] Amazon is $169. Best Buy is $199. The cheapest I've seen is DeepDiscountDVD at $139, but I've never ordered from them before and don't know much about the site. Does anyone know anyplace I can get it cheaper? I'd still wait a bit to see if it comes down in price, but I'm a bit worried about it being a limited edition and selling out soon.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
I only tolerated Angel until the Dark Wesley story line - Wes is awesome after that point! I have to agree that FF was more consistent though - BTVS and Angel were spotty at times, although it was still more fun than any other show. FF was inspired, and I kept dreamnig SciFi would pick it up and run with it, until the movie [Frown] Now Joss says he might do a sequel, but no return to TV
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
xnera - I've ordered stuff from DeepDiscountDVD once or twice and I've had no problems.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Rock on! I'll have to see if they dropped the prices on the individual seasons too. I still need season 7.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I'm getting it for Christmas! I can't wait!
Tarrsk
Member # 332

I got mine in the mail last Friday. Since then, I've watched... err... more than a season's worth, that's for sure. Yaaaaaay Buffy!

quote:
I only tolerated Angel until the Dark Wesley story line - Wes is awesome after that point!
Wesley's character arc is the best I've ever seen. He goes from snooty and incompetent wannabe-Watcher boy to the hardest badass of either "Buffy" or "Angel," over the course of six seasons stretching across both shows, and there's not a SINGLE point where his character development feels unnatural and hackneyed. You can't even pinpoint a single turning point, a moment when the dork goes away and is replaced by the badass. All you can say is that, in retrospect, the cold, philosophically utilitarian warrior has always been there under the garb of incompetence. THAT'S brilliant writing, right there.
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
*ba-da-BUMP*

Whedonesque informs us that you can get the Chosen Collection for $96:

quote:
ust in time for the holidays, get The Chosen Collection for $95.90 at Buy.com after $20 off using Google Checkout.

Buy.com already has a decent price for the box set, $113, plus only $2.90 shipping, or $115.90 total (plus sales tax for shipping to CA, MD, MA, or TN), but right now, Google Checkout has a $10 off $30 promotion at selected stores, and Buy.com has bumped it up to $20 off $50. So you can potentially get the set for $95.90!

As this is the cheapest I've seen it anywhere, I've just placed an order. [Smile]
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Humean316:
quote:
After Hush, The Body, and Once More, With Feeling, it's hard not to see Buffy is pretty brilliant
Dont forget The Gift, Becoming P2, and The Prom!
And Restless. And The Wish.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by smitty:
I only tolerated Angel until the Dark Wesley story line - Wes is awesome after that point! I have to agree that FF was more consistent though - BTVS and Angel were spotty at times, although it was still more fun than any other show. FF was inspired, and I kept dreamnig SciFi would pick it up and run with it, until the movie [Frown] Now Joss says he might do a sequel, but no return to TV

Well, he said no return to TV for Buffy and the Scoobies, but he hasn't said anything about cancelling his plans for some Angel TV movies.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ordered mine. Now to figure out what to do with my extra season one. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa that's crazy cheap. I just watched 8 episodes of Season 3 yesterday after taking a four-five month break. I'm rehooked.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

This will be my exercise incentive - one episode while riding the exercise bike.

By the time I get through 167 or so episodes, I should be in pretty good shape. [Smile]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Ordered a set. Sigh. Who needs Christmas money, anyway?

No, wait.. this is a Christmas present. For, for the family! Yeah! That's it!

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I just thought I'd share my experience with it.

I got this last year for Christmas. Since then I've watched the whole series through at least once, several of the seasons more than once. Not only that, several other people have borrowed my DVDs and watched the whole series all the way through. All in all, the Chosen Collection totally earned back its $129 price tag and then some.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If it wasn't 3 am I'd be watching the 6th season for something a little lighter.
[Confused] Are we talking about the same season?

I got my complete set for my birthday this year! Life is good. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure she meant parts like Once More With Feeling and Tabula Rasa which are pretty light.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
While both episodes were fun, both episodes were also quite dark. Maybe not as dark as the rest of the season, but still dark.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
This will be my exercise incentive - one episode while riding the exercise bike.

By the time I get through 167 or so episodes, I should be in pretty good shape. [Smile]

144... but 166 (more?) if you're counting the upcoming comic book [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The first season was 13 episodes. I multiplied 22 x 7 and added the first season in to get 167. I meant to multiply 22 by 6.

Whoops.

Should still get me into shape.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

Amanecer- That was last year, and my opinions have changed quite a bit since then. However, in general I find it a lot easier to watch darkness that's character related than horror. Many of the episodes from season one of Buffy give me nightmares. Season six, while darker in tone and character development, doesn't.

In general, I think that dark tv, done well, is the best tv. I've never been able to adequately describe the feeling I get from these kinds of stories, the best I can say is that it feels like there is a hole inside me. I judge stories based on whether or not that hole is there when I'm done with them.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

Just for the fun of it, what are everyone's favorite Buffy and/or Angel episodes?

Mine, in no particular order, are:
Once More, With Feeling
Becoming Pt 2
Hush
This Year's Girl Pt 2
Graduation Day Pt 2

Lisa
Member # 8384

Once More, With Feeling
Restless
The Wish
Becoming Pt 2

I thought Hush and The Body were phenomenal, but they aren't episodes that I'd watch again and a again, while those four are. In that order.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by plaid:
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:

144... but 166 (more?) if you're counting the upcoming comic book [Smile]
I count WaTchers, so that's another 80 eps or so, so far.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
How long will it last? As in, can I wait until next week, do you think?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.