FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Sims 2 PSP on GameSpot!

Author Topic: The Sims 2 PSP on GameSpot!
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
My game is on the front page of the GameSpot PSP section ... and more press is to follow soon!

It's been a crazy, crazy project, but we can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
congratz. Do they give you a mention?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's cool! Were you, like, the lead designer in the game or something?

So when is the game coming out? I don't have a PSP so I won't be able to play it, unfortunately...

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Geoff. [Smile] And good luck. Any game with Beelzebeef in it deserves success.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

I can't take credit for Beelzebeef [Smile] I had called the character Cowthulhu, but the name had already been taken by a T-shirt company. While I was searching for a new name, we got the French translation of the dialogue, which had rendered "Cowthulhu" as "Beelzeboeuf". I liked it so much, I persuaded my team to change it in the U.S. version.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea you were related to the project!
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, you had a good translator. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been looking for a new title for the PSP, and that looks fun!
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, really good translator! I didn't even realize that video games needed French translators, maybe my friend from high school and I can work together some day! [Smile]

This looks like the kind of game I could really enjoy... looking forward to it! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

Yeah, our translators are pretty cool. I basically gave them free reign to reinvent the humor, since so much of it is based on English wordplay.

Like the words that appear while loading ... Maxis has a tradition of displaying nonsensical technical messages, and I wrote a bunch of them, but almost none of them would even make sense if translated directly. Like "Revamping Irrefligible Haemovores".

I did have to explain to the translators what it meant to "reticulate" a "spline" ...

I heard an anecdote that when the original Sims went into localization for the first time, the loc testers complained that "all the dialogue is in English" ... because the Sims spoke this English-sounding gobbledygook called Simlish that no one ever intended to translate [Smile]

One of our biggest problems was trying to create UI and text boxes that were small enough to fit comfortably on the screen, yet large enough to hold the German translated text, which is, on average, 150% to 200% longer than the original English. (Note that in the screenshots, all the English text has plenty of margins ...)

Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
So are game translators usually in-house, or sub-contracted out or something?

I'm intrigued, when my friend went off to graduate school to study French translation, I had no idea this was a possible career path. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother (much to my annoyance) is always looking for jobs where I can use my German, and this summer she came across a job translating games. It was a sort of temp thing--a few months? I didn't think about doing it at all, so I didn't look into it and I'm not sure on the details.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.