FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Two Things

Author Topic: Two Things
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember?

Well, it came through. Annie got me the Book of Mormon in English (she said she searched for a Hebrew one at the nearby shop, which had - according to her - almost everything to do with Biblical stuff, but there was none; so she also got me also a Testimons of Josepf Smith in Arabic).

It will also urge me to finish reading the New Testament. Mind you, I never read all the old one, skipping Chronicles, some of the prophets and Job, as well as some more - but I know that I must complete reading the Evangelion, Hebrews, Romans and re-read the Revelation once more.

It will also shape my Arabic up, though I think that it will take at least another three years of study before I can understand that level of writing. But it's worth a try, and it's really sweet of her. You think you know someone to be a great person and you're surprised time after time.

She is far busier than 98% occupied. FAR more, roughly 99.3%, and that's a great difference. And yet she had the time to get me the Book of Mormon.

So now I'm thinking about what I ought to get her in return; maybe an English Haggadah (the book of the meal on the first night of Passover - it's a very special meal full of rituals and it's a gem of a night - it tells a lot about the culture of the time).

I'll give it some thought; anyway, I'm really feeling better now - virtually delightful (and "virtually" only because I'm listening to a song about Suvla and Sud el Bar, as well as one about Easter 1916).

The other thing is that I think I'm addicted to cheddar cheese. I bought 600g of it today (God knows how much more expensive it is than parmesan!), and while preparing past I started grating the cheese - I took a little bit and I swear I could have 12 stone for lunch! I love that cheese in blocks (whereas I can't stand eating parmesan alone pastaless, ungrated).

So, just a little update from me.

See ya next time! I'm on lurker status now. Oh, and Steve - don't you dare get past my post count!

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

God knows how much more expensive it is than parmesan!

I can't imagine living in a world where cheddar cheese is more expensive than parmesan.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Jonathan, glad things are looking up for you. The Artscroll Haggadah is awfully nice -- so much terrific commentary. More commentary, actually, than actual text. I have lots and lots of copies so that every Seder guest can read along in their own copy. An entire bookshelf taken up with identical copies of the same book. It would seem weird anywhere else, but not here.

In America, there is some sort of tax or tarriff on imported cheese, so that domestic cheese is always cheaper. Is this the case by you? Are you comparing a domestic Parmesan to an imported Cheddar? In any event, I also love cheeses -- especially those that smell particularly strong.

Yes, I love cheeses!
Yes, I love cheeses!
Yes, I love cheeses!
(The cheeseman told me so)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to sing that song in Sunday School, except with different words. [Razz]
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] <-- big cheesy grin
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you comparing a domestic Parmesan to an imported Cheddar?
Domestic to domestic. Parmesan is around 40 NIS a kg, cheddar is 60 for the lousy ones. English Cheddar is around 155 NIS, and I don't think that you can even get NZ cheddar here.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Oh, and doesn't the ArtScroll Haggadah cost more than a kg of English Cheddar?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Artscroll Haggadah -- $20.69

That's a lot of cheese!

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

That's almost a kilo and a half of cheddar
Oh, and correction: there is no domestic parmesan here; it's just relabelled, but the Italian ones cost ~80 NIS a kilo. Cheddar remains the same.

My mother said she's "not allowed" to eat yellow cheese, because of choleterol. If I had to choose frequent, unpredictable heart attacks or no cheddar, I'd choose frequent, unpredictable heart attacks.

kojabu
Member # 8042

Mmm Italian food. Though it's really hard to get cheddar there.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Oh, JH, what's the link for your website/forum? I wanted to check it out the other day but I couldn't find a link anywhere.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

http://jh.schtee.net

Click on "Sample Page" and there's a link to the forum on the navigation bar to the left. It's practically dead, though. No-one goes there anymore... It had one day of activity.

I'm now mainly on Hatrack and Librium Arcana.

Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
So cheddar cheese is rare in Israel, am I reading this right?

We went shopping for fancy cheeses after seeing the W&G movie yesterday, and cheddar in almost any form was about the most common and least expensive of all the cheese.

Cheeeese! [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

It's only found in medium to large supermarkets, and you gt it for 50 at the cheapst. Good cheddars are WAY over 100.

And the problem is that I love it more than anything else.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
"I wear the cheese. It does not wear me."

But Jonathan, I love Gilboa, and I can't find anything even remotely like it in the US.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JannieJ
Member # 8683

- posted      Profile for JannieJ   Email JannieJ         Edit/Delete Post 
What about this?

http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/prodview.asp?cat=1&subcat=ALL+Kosher&prod=2014

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Move to America, Jonathan. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Artscroll Haggadah -- $20.69

*pleased* That's Rabbi Elias' hagaddah! I think I have a copy. I should, considering I went to Breuers' sem.

Jonathan, I love cheddar. But if I were in Israel, I would stick more to the local varieties. The Gilboa Lisa mentioned is nice, but my preference is for Edam. Or Tiltan . . . *drools* I am fortunate that in the past 5-10 years the Los Angeles kosher markets have started importing lots of Israeli (and kosher French) cheeses. And the prices aren't even that obscene.

I believe I have some Edam in the fridge. *goes off to investigate*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*munches* Nope, Emek. Which is, the package says, "Israeli style," but seems to have been packaged in Brooklyn.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*dislikes most cheese, kosher or not*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you all talking about just eating cheese? or eating cheese on something else? When I was younger my brother and I used to eat sliced chunks of cheddar, but now I'm not really a big fan of cheese. If it's melted on something then I'm all for it, but mostly I'm just not a fan.

Except for Havarti. I could put Havarti on ANYTHING.

Pepperjack is good too, and swiss, and monterey jack, and american....

Okay I guess I lied, I DO like cheese.

"Behold the power of cheese!"

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Cheese (depending on variety and whim) can be eaten plain, or with bread or crackers. I was having my Emek with TamTams before.

It's also good in omelettes. yum! But first I need to buy more eggs . . .

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I only like cheese cooked in/on things. And string cheese/mozzerella. And occasionally a mild Brie if it's nice and warm and has some good crackers to go with it and I take the rind off. And cheese-flavored snacks, and garlic and herb flavored Boursin and Laughing Cow.

But that's it.

I think.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmmm cheese.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Now I want some Boursin and crackers. *pouts*
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, I love cheeses!
Yes, I love cheeses!
Yes, I love cheeses!
(The cheeseman told me so)

My friend's son sings it, "Cheezits love me, this I know". (Or did, rather, until she discovered he's allergic to wheat and dairy).
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I got one today published only in this (Gregorian) year. It's by a six-lettered-surnamed guy, starting with an R. Riskin or something...

121 NIS; a ripoff! But then, it's artistic, has essays on Passover, has a brilliant design, and is not in the Passover season.

I hope Annie will like it; I'll mail it tomorrow with a letter and a music CD. It should make it to Provo on time. Whoocha say?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*eats Boursin*
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

*Gobbles 400g of cheddar.*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.