FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Slate on "Megachurches" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Slate on "Megachurches"
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was more surprised than anything that the Conference Center was included in this list. It definitely doesn't dominate the discussion.

Perhaps the more general theme of "churches" is why Slate and Newsweek both have church-related articles.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
something whipped up to disguise an anti-Mormon crusade
I never said this. No wonder you think I'm coming out of left field.

I don't think there is an anti-Mormon crusade. I think news cycles go with themes, and I think the article itself was surprisingly positive, while the author of the slideshow was surprisingly snarky. I also think people are petty. None of that equals a crusade, but does suggest some correlation.

[ October 17, 2005, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm jealous! All we have is an espresso cart.

I'm wary of megachurches too. I've visited many churches, of many different types, but the one time I felt creeped out was when I visited the local megachurch. The pastor has two congregation s and is coptered between them so he can preach at both. When there are kids in our county going to bed on an empty stomach, I have a real problem with that.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Not fair. When I was preaching at two churches I had to drive.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You sure? Maybe you had to walk.

Through the snow. Uphill. Both ways . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I forgot. And the snow was 3 feet deep. All year.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
And people wonder why I don't want to live in the Midwest. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Dana, if you just used large buckets instead of offering plates, you could go between churches in Casey Treat style.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

Dana, if you just used large buckets instead of offering plates, you could go between churches in Casey Treat style.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Many jatraqueros are really paranoid and overly picky when it comes to your religious articles. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! No!

Actually, I'm so overly picky I saw a picture of Joseph Smith in the local paper and I didn't like it (it didn't look like him) so I didn't read the article... [Big Grin]

[ October 18, 2005, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: human_2.0 ]

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, heh. Well, that's understandable. I sometimes have a hard time finding out what authors look like. It often ruins the voice that I have in my head for things that they wrote. I would guess that something along the same lines is happening here.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, there aren't any megachurches in the Sault. All we have is the tallest free standing illuminated cross in the world.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
romanylass: The pastor has two congregation s and is coptered between them so he can preach at both. When there are kids in our county going to bed on an empty stomach, I have a real problem with that.
*blink* Yeah, that's pretty bad. The pastor of our former church in B'ham performs the message for more than one congregation, but the second congregation gets him on DVD recorded from an earlier service. It allows them to have services in the heart of a very needy neighborhood...and to tell the truth, I loved going to those services more than at the big church live. People are more real and we get a five *minute* meet-and-greet time.

mph, regarding video systems, I found it creepy that the main reason they wanted a video system was on the manipulative end of things rather than the helpful end. I wish I could remember *exactly* what Pastor Charles said, but the way he worded it, I was left with the impression that his focus was more on marketing than it was on the message and the purpose of the church. It's fine to have all those elements that make up a good marketing plan, but the focus always needs to remain on serving the purpose of the church. When you put up video screens just because bigger churches do, and that's the best reason you can come up with, then maybe you've forgotten about your mission.

That said, I see significant value in video screens for worship services now. Our new church is fairly small...it's only a year old. When they started up, they had video equipment donated from another church that was upgrading. It's been cool because we've gotten to see video clips of what other ministries in the church are doing. It's easy to miss what is going on throughout the church, and nothing communicates it quite as well as video. The pastor shares his notes in power points on the screen. It's helpful.

But that's not what Solid Rock (that was the church in Denver) had in mind, or at least, that's not how they presented it, when they considering it. It really struck me as manipulative, which I do find repugnant. Jesus wasn't manipulative, and neither should we be in representing him.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

5 minute meet and greet? I'd love that.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.