FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Marking Writers

Author Topic: Marking Writers
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it seem at points it's difficult to write a story, for fear of being "marked"? For instance, a story with primarily black characters tends to get marked out as "African-American Fiction" and set in a different part of the store--and in turn, the author is made an "African-American Writer"? And the same goes for writers who write books with female protagonists.

I think Icarus mentioned something similar, in fear of printing a story because it seemed it would mark him as a sexist writer.

Myself: I am working on a fantasy/alternate history story. There is, admittedly, sexual tension developing between the two main characters. Who are male. And neither is acknowledged as gay, though this is a strongly Muslim/Catholic society and that would be unlikely. It's not as though I usually write gay relationships. First time it's occurred, really. The trouble is, this is probably my best work as of yet. And the relationship between them really opens up new avenues in the workings of the story. But, once again--who wants to be marked as someone who writes "gay fiction", and therefore lose half the potential audience?

Have any of you noticed much of this, or had trouble because of it? How does one get aroudn this sort of thing?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer Sharpies.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a serious issue. I say that you write the best story you can, then deal with this battle later.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a difficult problem that I don't think will ever go away. I imagine that Irami is right. You write the story, then you deal with the fall-out. I don't believe it's a good thing to avoid writing something just because it could be labeled as something you, as the writer, don't necessarily think it is.

What this reminds me of more than anything is a passage in "Little Women" when one of the girls, probably Jo, says something to the effect that labels belong on pickle jars. And, I would add, pretty much nowhere else.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You won't be pegged as an author of "gay fiction" unless one of them has a domineering mother, one of them works for the government while the other one is either a painter or a poet, and one of them dies of a degenerative disease. There can be some overlap.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I love that you know all the right stereotypes. Stereotype me please.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
No no. You have to go where the story takes you. If you try to change it, and not tell the "truth" (because this IS the truth as your story has developed) your readers will smell it a mile away. And that's when they really won't like the work.

I think it's when you've put enough down on paper that the characters start to tell YOU where you're going that writing gets good. Just let it happen.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Domasai
Member # 8739

- posted      Profile for Domasai   Email Domasai         Edit/Delete Post 
Write your story, my friend. Write it. Be honest to the characters comprised therein and never betray them out of fear or potential social intolerance. Listen to them. They know where they need to go.

If the work is truly good, it will get notice regardless of its location in Borders.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
As an aside, when you say that "neither is acknowledged as gay", I take it you mean within the story. (i.e. you never specifically state that they are gay in the story either through narrator exposition nor through dialog or even interior monologue of the characters themselves). Is this right? If so, do you as the author acknowledge them as "gay" characters, or is this something else? I'm intrigued.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't EVEN talk to me about being 'marked'. I once wrote a story about a female-dominated society that was pretty evil (partly in response to a rash of "feminist utopia" stories in a writing group I was in) and some random guy basically email me asking for a spanky.

Which was soo not my point... I quit the online workshop and came back with a different name. Freaked me right the heck out. I also got a critique that included many terms I was not familiar with (googling nearly proved disastrous) from lesbian in my group who runs a... dungeon? If that's what you call it. O_O

The point is, people bring stuff with them to any story, and you can't help that happening. Just do the best you can, and let the rest sort itself out.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivia, I remember once you said if you ever published Boyhouse it would be under a pen name.

Do you still feel that way?

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering about my own writing. I've been professionally published under my real name in the Christian/Inspirational market.

I'd like eventually to maybe write more non-fiction in that area. But, I also want to work on fiction, in my current project, a fantasy aimed at the middle-school/YA market.

I wonder if I should use a pen name for the fiction, because if I ever do come back and want to publish more inspirational nonfiction, the fact that I write kid's fantasy stories might work against me. Or maybe not. I'm not sure.

Since I'm not close to being published with any fiction work, it's not exactly a pressing issue, but it is something I've thought about.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Yes, I think a pen name would be appropriate for Boyhouse, since it seems particularly easy for people to get the Wrong Idea about me from it's content.

Though it may just be one of those initials-plus maiden name things, or something... I may change my mind, but right now I'm leaning toward not using my real name if that one gets published.

For you, you could use a variiation of your own name for fiction, instead of an all-out penname. Lots of writers who work in different genres do that to avoid confusion.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Yeah, but hubby says I shouldn't. He says if it's your writing, you should want your name on it regardless. I think I hurt his feelings too when I mentioned using a different last name. [Wink] There is an Adrian Ward who has published several books, though they look to be scholarly, textbook type stuff and he/she's usually listed as the editor.

My birth name is French and probably difficult for people to pronounce and would probably get misspelled a lot. Since I'm writing for youngsters (at least now I am) maybe sticking with Ward is a good idea. Would using my initials and last name be too much like jumping on a J.K. Rowling bandwagon?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I don't think so, personally. Not at all. I mean, it is pretty common.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
You should use a pen name.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
An A.Ward winning novel.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hee hee. (A.Ward [Smile] )

quote:
For you, you could use a variiation of your own name for fiction, instead of an all-out penname. Lots of writers who work in different genres do that to avoid confusion.
Like Iain M Banks (Sci Fi) / Iain Banks (Literary fiction).
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you just write the story the way you want to, and then try to write a couple more stories and then submit the one that would mark you only after you've only been published so people would know that you don't only write that way?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Domasai
Member # 8739

- posted      Profile for Domasai   Email Domasai         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, I write under a pseudonym and there's nothing particularly homosexual in anything I've written thus far.

*looks uncertain; goes to reread everything he has ever written*

Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've marked several writers, but then they got that restraining order and told me to keep my fly zi---

Oh, whoops. Boy, did I misread. [Embarrassed]

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you need to worry too much about being marked based on one story. Unless the story is unspeakably good it probably won't get too much attention upon first publication. Now if you had multiple stories published and they all had a similar gay theme, then I would worry about being marked.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Would using my initials and last name be too much like jumping on a J.K. Rowling bandwagon?
Yea I hate the way people our doing that nowadays. Guys like J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis are such losers for copying her.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

*marks jebus*
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
I blame it all on H. G. Wells.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

See the reason I said Rowling was only because if someone accused me of jumping on a Lewis or Tolkien bandwagon I'd just say "Yeah, what of it?" [Wink]
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jebus202:
quote:
Would using my initials and last name be too much like jumping on a J.K. Rowling bandwagon?
Yea I hate the way people our doing that nowadays. Guys like J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis are such losers for copying her.
jebus, that would have been even funnier if I had not heard at least 60 kids say the same thing, being completely truthful (if completely clueless), back when I was working at Barnes and Noble.

The also told me that Susan Cooper and Lloyd Alexander were good, but they owed Rowling for creating that type of fiction for kids to read. [Frown]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump for Joldo. Still interested in your take on my question above. [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
No Internet access for days. It hurt.

quote:
As an aside, when you say that "neither is acknowledged as gay", I take it you mean within the story. (i.e. you never specifically state that they are gay in the story either through narrator exposition nor through dialog or even interior monologue of the characters themselves). Is this right? If so, do you as the author acknowledge them as "gay" characters, or is this something else? I'm intrigued.
They don't live in a society in which homosexuality is acknowledged as existing. Therefore, there's no label applied to them. They simply . . . have a relationship. I don't acknowledge them as such either, and the relationship is actually fairly subtle through most of it.

And no worries, I have no plans of changing my story to accomodate people. I hate the idea of doing that. This post, I guess, was more of a rant than anything. The characters are gonna be in a relationship and people will bloody well deal with it.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.