FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Here it is . . . Rocky VI! and now Rambo??

Author Topic: Here it is . . . Rocky VI! and now Rambo??
seespot
Member # 7388

- posted      Profile for seespot   Email seespot         Edit/Delete Post 
I came across this on CNN.com and thought it was interesting. Though my husband and father-in-law are die-hard Rocky fans, I have only seen 1 and 2. The article says that this script is reminiscent of the first two, which I guess is a good thing, as I understand they got worse.

Any thoughts from Rocky fans?

Here's a link to the article.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/17/film.stallone.reut/index.html

[ October 28, 2005, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: seespot ]

Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
The first 4 were good. The fifth one never happened.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Wholeheartedly agreed. So this new one coming out is hereafter to be referred to as Rocky V 2.0
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not the only one who thinks this is a bad idea, right?
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

In many ways, the screenplay really took me back to the original 'Rocky,' " Revolution Studios founder Joe Roth said in a statement. "As a past champion, Rocky Balboa is once again a regular guy who has to find himself and deal with real life. This film brings Rocky's story full circle."

In the new installment, Rocky, lonely and retired in Philadelphia, comes out of retirement, intending to fight a few low-profile local fights. He's approached to fight a match with reigning heavyweight champ Mason "The Line" Dixon, and soon his comeback ignites a media firestorm.

" 'Rocky Balboa' is about everybody who feels they want to participate in the race of life, rather than be a bystander," Stallone said in a statement. "You're never too old to climb a mountain, if that's your desire."

Isn't that about 85 percent of Rocky V?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
More or less, but don't forget the Don King look alike in V. And the sudden betrayal of his apprentice!

This is just goofy. Doesn't he know when to leave well enough alone?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
Sad, sad all around.

I would say that Sly can do better than this, but... I'm not so sure. One great movie (Rocky 1) doesn't make up for a lifetime of mediocrity.

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Rambo: First Blood was actually interesting, action movie-itis notwithstanding. Rambo in that movie was a screwed up Vietnam vet rather than the cool and calm killing machine of the other two movies.

It wasn't Shakespeare, but it was decent.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seespot
Member # 7388

I, myself, thought that Oscar was worth a giggle.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Why?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
As the boomer generation gets older, I see no reason that their need for identifiable heros will diminish. As such, I predict not only will the next Rocky be made, I see Rocky VIII--The fight For His Social Security Check, not to mention the Senior Wrestling Federation where walkers and oxygen tanks get tossed around like so many broken hips.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The fourth one was good?

This is obviously some new use of the word "good" with which I was not previously familiar. [Razz]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seespot
Member # 7388

Here's the Rambo article. Oh my. Is Sly bored? or broke?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/28/film.rambo.reut/index.html

m.f.d00m
Member # 8784

- posted      Profile for m.f.d00m           Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee, you would debate the merits of rocky 4? Thats a joke right? I watched that movie like 15 times in the theaters when I was a kid.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Another Rambo? What the...?
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.