FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spiderman 3's Choice of Venom is....

Author Topic: Spiderman 3's Choice of Venom is....
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Topher Grace for venom.

Topher Eric Forman Grace is venom.

So the villians are going to be Venom, Sandman, and GreenGoblin, or Hobgoblin.

You'll have to forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical about the choice of Topher Grace.

Whats more, here's the guy who will play Sandman:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002006/

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
The guy playing Sandman doesn't bother me too much. Topher Grace as Venom is sort of confusing though. I mean Eddie Brock (at least as far as my recollection goes) was usually bigger than Peter Parker (both in height and in build). Topher Grace those is a skinny stick guy. *shrugs* I guess we'll see how it plays out though.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

It depends. I am really, really unsure of Topher Grace, but the kid can act. It would require a LOT of bulking up, and a very thorough makeup/hair job.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well...Tobey Maguire did buff all up for the movies to begin with. Who knows?

And I agree with T; the boy is actually a pretty good actor.

I'm really, really, really skeptical of Thomas Haden Church as anything other than comedian, though. He was Lowell on Wings, for heaven's sake.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see Church as Sandman, he has the right physicality and a good face to go with my image of the character. He displayed a pretty impressive acting range in Sideways, so I think he can do it.

Topher does seem kind of skinny for Venom/Brock, but perhaps he can bulk up for it. It's hard to judge because the only thing I've seen him in he's a nice, shy, kinda nerdy guy... way too similar to what you'd think of for Peter Parker, not Brock. I have faith in Sam Raimi though, and am sure he's making these casting choices for a reason.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I can see Lowell as Sandman. That's fine with me. Topher though...I just don't imagine him as being intimidating. I mean, Venom was, to me anyway, the scariest character from the Spider Man mythology. Topher is too nice and dweeby. Can he possibly be scary?

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

The only one scarier than Venom is Carnage. Venom at least is somewhat human (and can be talked into doing the right thing occasionally). Carnage is just pure evil.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

What I'm really afraid of is the costume. I mean, can you imagine a real life Venom talking without it looking like Power Rangers? In the first film, the costume was a simple mask, that didn't talk. In the second, the villian was a person. The character of venom has great potential, but the visual aspect of it is a great challenge.
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't bother me too much. I figure: out of all the possible ways that the movies can be untrue to the comics, turning a big guy to an average-size guy isn't too dreadful.

And Church as Sandman was an excellent decision. Overall, it should be fun to watch Spidey tackle two villains at once in a movie.

I'm one of those guys that's not always enthusiastic about seeing CGI take over movies, but I'm highly hoping that the Venom costume will be completely composed of special effects.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping for good liquidy tendril effects for the on and off of the Venom costume. It's usually drawn wrapping around someone in such a cool fluid sort of way that I hope they can capture in the film.

That was one of the many, many dissappointments of the Spawn movie, btw. The way they did the symbiotic costume in that was quite lame.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
It's been suggested that they may be going with something like the "Ultimate Spider-man" rendition of Venom. In that series, Eddie Brock is a geek like Peter was, and the symbiote isn't an alien, but the result of a failed science experiment, which incidently, was based on the work of Eddie and Peter's deceased fathers. Anyhow, that's why a scrawny actor would play Eddie.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well I guess that'd be a simpler way to explain it (since the original story of the source of the Venom symbiote is sort of long).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.