FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Big Brother?

Author Topic: Big Brother?
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A secret code embedded in many colour laser jet printers allows the US government and any other organisation capable of reading the cipher to identify when the copies were made and on which particular machine...Among the copiers found to include the secret yellow dots are ones made by Brother, Canon, Dell, Epson, HP, Konica/Minolta, Kyocera, Lexmark, Ricoh, Tektronix/Toshiba and Xerox...

although the Secret Service claims to use this information only for cornering counterfeit crimes, there is no legal framework to prevent the information being put to other uses.

"this technology makes it easier for governments to find dissenters," said EFF Senior Staff Attorney Lee Tien

"Even worse, it shows how the government and private industry make backroom deals to weaken our privacy by compromising everyday equipment like printers.

"The logical next question is: what other deals have been or are being made to ensure that our technology rats on us?."

News24 Article
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked how printers and copiers are referred to interchangably.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... weird and creepy... [Angst]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
You watch ... uteruses are next. Every child born with a little dot that records exactly who the parents are ...

Oh, wait. already got it. DNA.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JannieJ
Member # 8683

- posted      Profile for JannieJ   Email JannieJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
You watch ... uteruses are next. Every child born with a little dot that records exactly who the parents are ...

Oh, wait. already got it. DNA.

I was totally not expecting that, and I think I just inhaled my chamomile tea by accident. [Wink]
Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the idea behind the printers is that lots of bad things can be done with them, and having printer "fingerprints" helps the "good guys".

Also, this is pretty old news. The current privacy problems come from the databases and cameras. If you think you have privacy, think again.

Comercial businesses do not have the laws restricting how they can link their databases like the government does. Anyone watchdogging them? Amazon knows more about you than you do...

Anyone live in Chicago? Do you know most of the city is under constant camera survaliance? There are so many articles on it, I'll just link to Google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=chicago+police+camera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

If you are in law enforcement, Chicago is the bomb. If you are a bad guy, you stay away from Chicago. If you are neither, you are probably upset.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Camera surveillance isn't such a bad thing, at least in public areas. It's no invasion of privacy, unless they work on cameras that won't show your clothes in the tape.

Hey, Germany's had 'em for years and we're doign just fine.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to see you back on this side, Mr. Card. [Wave]

And I don't understand why the copier and printer companies would want to embed this surveillance in their products. What is in it for them?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
One possibility, it may be a requirement (or threatened requirement) for printers to be purchased by the federal government. Unless non-government entities stopped buying the printers because of this, it would be cheaper to just have the models with the dot fingerprinting.

Don't know that this is the case, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.