FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hardy Boys vs. Nancy Drew (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hardy Boys vs. Nancy Drew
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
This passage struck me as interesting when I read OSC's column currently on the front page:

quote:
But Rehak's book is not really about Edward Stratemeyer, mostly because he died only a few books into the most famous and successful and enduring of all his series: Nancy Drew. [Emphasis added.]
Would you say the bolded part is true? I would not have. I was aware of Nancy Drew (and read a few of the books), and the Bobsey Twins, for that matter, but I was much more familiar with the Hardy Boys. This could quite possibly be merely because I was a boy, but it seems to me that a lot more girls have read the Hardy Boys than boys have read Nancy Drew.

I did some poking around to see if this startling claim was true. Here is what I found:
  • A Google search for "Nancy Drew" returns about 2,460,000 hits. A Google search for "Hardy Boys" returns 638,000.
  • There were a total of 134 books which featured the Hardy Boys alone. There were 393 which featured Nancy Drew.
  • Of the 41 storylines created for The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries, four featured Nancy and the Hardy Boys working together. Of the remainder, 27 featured only the Hardy Boys, while 10 featured only Nancy Drew.
  • While there were several Nancy Drew movies in the 1930s, the Hardy Boys also appeared in The Mickey Mouse Club and in a Saturday morning cartoon series.

I was not able to get anything like sales figures for either work--compiled or average--to know whether one series tended to outsell the other.

This certainly suggests that my impression was incorrect. Color me shocked. I guess I learned something new today.

Which series of books were you more aware of? Would you say that in your recollection, the Nancy Drew books were more successful and enduring than the Hardy Boys books?

EDIT TO ADD: I'd be curious to see if this simply breaks down along gender lines, so if your gender is not obvious, could you state it?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Nancy Drew. I have a bunch I got from my grandmother that my mother had as a kid.

*shrug* I'd say Nancy Drew, but it might have to do with the fact that I'm a girl.

You just made me remember The Babysitter's Club. What a great series. [Smile]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I read all the Hardy Boys books as a kid, and still have them all sitting on the top shelf of one of my bookcases in my room. I loved them, and plan on giving them to my kids one day (when I have kids). It took me forever to collect all the hardcover books, though they've released more recently in hardcover that I have to add to the collection. But I loved each one of them. It's one of the first series that really got me interested and excited about reading.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Nancy Drew is more successful in libraries around here for sure; girls around here seem to read more than boys.

Also, Nancy kicks butt. *collects Nancy Drew books*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

What's the name of the sidekick in Nancy Drew? I bet Chet could out sidekick her any day of the week.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
George, Bess, Ned, and the two other guys.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked Nancy Drew as a kid, but didn't like the Hardy Boys...
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I was very relieved to read that the reprints were drastically edited. I bought a few of them recently, and they were no where near as good as I remembered.

I though it was just nostalgia.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Not just Chet. Don't forget Tony Napoli!

The ethnic kid! [Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I never read a single Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew story.

But then, why would I read that stuff when Mark Twain was cranking out his wonderful yarns and Charles Dickens was available serialized in our monthly magazines for 5 cents?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Ooh, and was there a Biff Hooper, or am I conflating two different things now?
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Shaun Cassidy when I was a kid. [Embarrassed]

That must be why I don't like blonds now. [Wink]

I read all the Bobsey Twin books and all the Nancy Drew books and only a few Hardy Boys books. There were just more Bobsey Twins and Nancy Drews at the library. My son reads The Hardy Boys, though and he's never read a Bobsey Twin or Nancy Drew.

But I'm really surprised that there were that many more Hardy Boys shows than Nancy Drew. I thought it was more like Disney, you know, an every other week type thing. (Was it my imagination? I would have sworn that they alternated weeks. I loved Hardy Boys weeks because of my crush on Shaun Cassidy. And the way I remember it, Disney did a cartoon and a live action switch off every week. Is it possible that it only seemed that way now?)

Does anyone else watch Shaun Cassidy's Invasion? Or is that just me, too? [Embarrassed]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I forgot all about Tony and Biff!!

But they were like the back up sidekicks.

I had to save up for these books when I was a kid. Six bucks a pop, they weren't cheap. Mostly got them for Christmas and birthday presents.

ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Hardy Boys, one Nancy Drew, several Trixie Belden, some Bobsey Twins, and a few others. Of those, I think my favourite was either Hardy Boys or Trixie Belden.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I read Babysitters' Club when I was a kid, though it was a secret, as guys aren't supposed to read the BC. Mostly I liked the secret passage that was in the barn in, I think Dawn's barn? or Mary Ann, or were they step sisters?

That and I liked that the last name of one of the clients was the same as mine [Smile]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was Mary Ann's barn.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Was it my imagination? I would have sworn that they alternated weeks.
They alternated weeks faithfully for tyhe first season, after which Nancy Drew episodes became less and less frequent. (I can only imagine they were less popular.)
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Didn't Mary Ann and Dawn end up becoming step-sisters at some point?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Oh, and Bess and George's boyfriends were Dave and Burt. *read way too much trashy fiction as a kid* [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

George's boyfriend was Burt?

This was a socially progressive kid's book.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand*

I read Nancy Drew. I'm the crossover. I never got into Hardy Boys. My big sister got all the Nancy Drew books, so that's what I read too.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I never read any of them, but I know that more people I know read Nancy Drew. My mom discouraged them because she really didn't like ghost authors, I only read about 10 of the Boxcar Children, and no Babysitters clubs though everyone else was. I read Narnia, Betsy-Tacy, Laura Ingalls Wilder, everything by Elizabeth Endright, and lots and lots of horse books. My mom was a middle school english teacher and i'm a girl if that helps.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Well this has certainly been eye-opening. [Smile]
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
I read all of the Hardy Boys, but my sister started me out by reading the Nancy Drew books to me.

Although I must say that I stopped reading them after they made Viola, Iola? Whatever Morton, Chet's sister, die in a car bomb. Gave Joe much too big a complex. Frank's girlfriend was Callie Shaw.

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

You're probably being deadpan, but George was a girl.

Nancy Drew all the way, here. I read the occasional Hardy Boys book also, but didn't like it as much.

It's worth noting that Nancy Drew was a far more groundbreaking iconic figure. Nancy was independent and active, could do anything the boys could do and more -- riding horses, flying planes, playing tennis, sleuthing around town, you name it -- while always keeping her femininity. She made one heck of a role model.

The Hardy Boys, on the other hand, were a couple of all-American boys who solved crimes. Not bad, but hardly new or unique. (Even within the Stratemeyer Syndicate, they were preceded by the Rover Boys and Tom Swift, among others... and Tom had much cooler gadgets.)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Nancy Drew, but it was long ago enough that there were only 50 or 60 of them back then. I tried reading the Hardy Boys, but they weren't as much fun.

And yeah, I'm female. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by Zarex:
Although I must say that I stopped reading them after they made Viola, Iola? Whatever Morton, Chet's sister, die in a car bomb.

Iola. That was in the newer ('80s, I think) series, the Hardy Boys Case Files, in which the Hardys had guns and there was lots of action and violence and stuff. I read only one or two volumes of that bunch, and wasn't impressed.

(I haven't read any of the parallel Nancy Drew Files, started around the same time. I haven't had the heart.)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped reading the Hardy Boys after I read the one where people steal rare coin collections in order to use them as blanks for counterfeiting coins.

Even at 7 I knew that wasn't the best economic use of stolen rare coins.

I did like the one where the secret surrender document was hidden in the Samurai sword, though.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my uncles had a big Hardy Boys collection, and my mom and her sister together had a bunch of Nancy Drew. I always preferred the Nancy Drew by far, but I consistenly showed a definite preference for female protagonists so that's no surprise. There was that other series, too, about two sisters away at private school or college. I know one was named Jean. They weren't nearly as good either. I recall enjoying the Bobbsey Twins pretty well at an early age.

I was a much bigger fan of Trixie Beldon, though, and I have/had every book except number 36, the one about the antique doll. My aunt/cousin have them now. I also liked some Cherry Ames books.

I also love the Maida books. They weren't ghost written, though.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by Theaca:
There was that other series, too, about two sisters away at private school or college. I know one was named Jean.

The Dana Girls, also published under the Carolyn Keene name.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:

[ROFL]

There were two different, contradictory explainations given for George's name: one was that it was Georgina, and she hated it, so went by George. The other was that her parents were hoping for a boy and wanted to name him after an uncle or something, and hadn't picked out a girl's name, so when she was born, they just decided to call her George anyway.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
As a younger person, I thought the Hardy Boys infinitely superior, so my viewpoint is somewhat biased.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Now! On Pay-Per-View! The big WWF Hardy Boys vs. Nancy Drew Smashdown!

I read the Bobbsey Twins when I was a kid. And I have a few of the really really early ones, from the 1910's. What an shock to see how incredibly racist and completely politically incorrect those early volumes were.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that I read at least one of each Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, and the Bobbsey Twins. I thought the Bobbsey Twins were ok, but I disliked the other two to the extent that I won't read a book to this day if it is identified as a sleuth book, and I avoid that section of the library completely. It was many years before I realized that the box car children series, which I loved, was in its later books a sleuth type story, but the first story, which I read first, is more of a history/background and much less of a mystery, so that's my excuse.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The first one does too have a mystery!
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Has Nancy Drew ever been adapted for the stage? Because the Seattle Children's Theater has done a Hardy Boys one every 3 years or so.

That's my exposure. Plus I read one Hardy Boys book and 2 Nancy Drew.

I was more of a Boxcar Children girl. And Babysitter's Club. Stacy sticks in my mind particularly as The Diabetic One (Type 1 represent, what what!).

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yup, Nancy's been on stage at least 5 times I know of, and probably more. *has The Nancy Drew Scrapbook, now a collector's item in itself*
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I was always a Three Investigators fan myself. Reading this thread makes me think I was the only one.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Hardy Boys was waaaay better.

Though I did read several of the Drew books, I didn't like that they were always a girly color.

Plus, there were two Hardy Boys and only one Nancy Drew. Clearly, the Boys have a big advantage in a fight.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While there were several Nancy Drew movies in the 1930s
And yet they don't all have Nancy Drew in them. At least the only one I've seen had absolutely no mention of anyone with a name slightly resembling Nancy or Drew outside of the Iforgetthenameofthetitle: A Nancy Drew Mystery on the box and during the intro . . .
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhh, the three investigators! Jupiter, Pete, etc. Yeah, I read all those at the library.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I read every single Bobsey Twin book when I was little. And then I read every single Hardy Boys book I could get my hands on, I loved them. I read two Nancy Drew books and didn't like them.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

quote:
Didn't Mary Ann and Dawn end up becoming step-sisters at some point?
Yeah, Mary Ann's dad and Dawn's mom got married.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not alone!

When I was at my parents house recently, I looked for them. I only found one - The Whispering Mummy. I guess I got them all out of the library too.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
On a somewhat different note...

Did you know that Carolyn Keene's real name is Mildred Wirt Benson? [Big Grin]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I was definately into Nancy Drew when I was little, but not so much the Hardy Boys. I feel like ND was more popular among my age group than HB was. I knew more people who liked ND than HB.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I have about 40 ND books. I never read HB. I was always under the impression that HB was the boys' version of ND. At least, that's how I always saw it.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

See, I always though that Nancy Drew was the girls' version of Hardy Boys. [Razz]

-o-

A Hardy Boys book was the first chapter book I ever read. I don't remember what grade I was in--second?--and I was bored of picture books, so I looked through the other stuff in the school library and found this book that looked vaguely interesting. My parents had always liked the Hardy Boys, so they made a huge deal about it when I brought it home, so that was pretty cool. Then I read the book and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I was hooked. From then on I (i.e., my parents) bought them, and eventually collected all of the blue-spined books, and the detective handbook. No matter how broke we were, there was always enough money to buy me a brand-new Hardy Boys book.

The Hardy Boys had a LOT to do with my developing a love of reading.

I never did get into the first paperback series. They didn't match my other Hardy Boys books, and I'm O/C enough for that to bother me.

I ready the first HD: Casefiles book when it came out, though by then I was much too old, but I still had a fondness in my heart for thye series. Then they killed Iola, and the boys used guns, and I pretty much threw it across the room in disgust. I finished that book, but I never read another Hardy Boys book.

Icarus
Member # 3162

I never got into the TV series. Sean (sp?) Cassidy was way too pretty and long-haired, and the Hardy Boys were clearly clean-cut in the books.
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
On a somewhat different note...

Did you know that Carolyn Keene's real name is Mildred Wirt Benson? [Big Grin]

Sort of. She wrote a bunch of the earlier books (following and subverting supplied instructions), and is responsible for Nancy's more liberated aspects, but Edward Stratemeyer's daughter Harriet Adams was largely the one in control. Although even that is an oversimplification.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.