FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ding Dong, the CPAP's Dead! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ding Dong, the CPAP's Dead!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Update:

So we got a call from the local reseller of CPAP machines three or four days ago. Finally. They want to charge Rs. 88,000 (about $880 US) for a CPAP machine, undisclosed model (they sell for as low as $250 or $300 US in the US) with no indication of how long it would take to arrive.

They didn't even ask if we wanted it. They just gave the info to Fahim and then hung up. [Roll Eyes] Lousy customer service.

And I just received an email from a Hatrack friend and lurker - sweet, sweet lady - offering her old CPAP because she doesn't need it anymore. (She was upgraded to another machine.)

Yep, there are good and decent and kind people in the world, and some of them hang out here. Nice to know, isn't it? [Smile]

But I declined on both counts.

Why?

I can see the eyebrows raising. I can see thoughts of craziness running through people's heads. Oh yeah, I can. [Big Grin]

It's a bit of a bizarre story, but it's all true.

About a month or so back, I came across a website that has, for free download, an ebook that that gives instruction for using their Emotional Freedom Technique. Yeah, a bit of a dorky name, but whatever. [Razz]

So I figured that there's no harm in trying it out - all it'll take from me is time. I'm so beat up from not sleeping that I'm not good for anything anyway, and really, what do I have to lose?

Absolutely nothing.

So I read it and applied the techniques. That night, I slept far better than I had since my CPAP broke down. A few more days of applying the technique, and my OSA symptoms are gone.

No more hallucinating, no more morning headaches, no more getting up to pee in the middle of the night, no more needing to sleep 12 hours to make up for lousy quality sleep, no more taking two hours to get rid of that awful groggy feeling. In fact, I was about 90% of the way back to how I was with my CPAP after the first day or two.

Huh. Not what I was expecting, that's for sure.

Anyway, I'm still using it and applying it to my sleep, and making improvements, and happy to say that, what with the symptoms of my apnea being gone, it's looking like I may not need a CPAP any more after all.

Bizarro world. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for not needing the CPAP in a land of uncertain electricity! [Big Grin]

I was wondering about that just the other day. Hope it keeps working for you!

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim-Me, call your insurance company. They'll have a record of who they paid for your sleep study, and that will get you the name of the doctor so you can get your prescription.

I needed the name of the anesthesiologist that did my surgery and it wasn't on the hospital bill, so I called my insurance company and had the info in about three minutes.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool that you've found something that works for you, quid! I'm glad to hear that you're doing better.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Didgeridoo consider some breathing lessons.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Quid, has the technique you were using continued to be effective?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup.

I've been using it to improve things, and now, I'm at 100% of where I was before the CPAP machine died.

I have occasional insomnia, but I had that before the CPAP died, so it's nothing new, and it's going away again. I usually get it for one or a few weeks at a time, then it goes. It's going. So, it's following the regular pattern. Although, in all honesty, it's also not as severe as it has been in the past.

As far as symptoms of apnea goes, I have none. Not one single one left.

I also used that technique to get rid of eyestrain, which I used to get every single day, usually within an hour or two of starting to use my laptop, so by the end of the day, I'd have terrible eye pain. It's gone, and has been since the first time I used that technique.

I've also used it to get rid of my headaches. That was a bit more stubborn and took a couple of weeks of using the technique, but I realized yesterday that I haven't had a headache since then, not even a mild background one, and that's unusual for me. [Smile]

Yep, it's working. [Big Grin] And I'm real happy. [Big Grin] [Party]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That's great! I'm glad to hear it. [Smile]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Thanks. Me, too, Noemon. Better yet, I'm glad to be living it. It's fantastic to be able to breathe normally. [Big Grin]
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
quid, this EFT is facinating. My hubby suffers from apnea to the point that he needs to do a sleep study but his new insurance hasn't kicked it and we can't afford it any other way (and he is less than willing to go anyway). We can't sleep in the same room most nights because his snoring is so bad. I am going to read up more about this and I'll let you know how it goes.

Did you just read the free manual from the site or did you order anything? It seems so easy.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I've paid no money, nor have I ordered anything. I'm cheap, and my husband is cheaper. [Big Grin] Everything I've done is from the free download. [Big Grin]

There are some other considerations.

Before I started treatment for my apnea, my results showed that I had 45 apneic events an hour, which is mild-moderate. After I'd been on treatment for a few years, my number of events was much lower (results from another overnight sleep lab), but I don't remember the exact number. The theory is - and I've read a lot of supporting documentation about this - that, when a person suffers a lot of obstructive apneic events where the throat collapses (which is mine), it can cause physical damage to the throat which can make the apnea worse. The years of successful treatment allowed the throat to heal. Actually, it probably only took a few months, but whatever.

So part of what I'm saying is that this method might not have worked had I not had CPAP first, or it might have taken a lot longer to work given that the throat was damaged. I don't know, nor will I ever know.

There's a link above on the Didgeridoo thingie - it actually made the news in Sri Lanka, as well. The short version there is that learning to play that instrument over the course of several months can also improve snoring and apnea, so that might be another avenue to consider, especially in light of your husband's resistance to getting treatment.

Personally, if this was me, at the beginning of considering treatment, I'd be inclined to use EFT while I waited for the doc's appointments and for the sleep lab. I can't guarantee that EFT will work for your husband, and I wouldn't want to count on it until or unless it actually did. Apnea is far too serious. And I would still go to a doc and have an overnight sleep lab done.

But like I said, since he's going to wait anyway, there's no harm in giving it a try. And that's something I absolutely would do. It costs nothing but time.

And yeah, it's freakishly easy for the results I've gotten. That's why I keep calling it bizarro. [Razz]

Good luck. And please, keep me updated on what happens. I'm curious... [Smile]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I wonder if it could cure my lupus. This is a pain in the butt condition to have. My case is pretty mild, but there is always the worry of some life-theatening complication surfacing again.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.