FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I've 'Lost' my interest (ok. Maybe not.) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I've 'Lost' my interest (ok. Maybe not.)
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you?

I was all psyched out for the season premiere of Lost and it was pretty neat...we saw what was in the hatch, we're still terrified of what happened to the folks on the raft. It's pretty gripping!

Then I watched the next week's episode. It was to the first episode like Ender's Shadow was to Ender's Game. A retelling from a different point of view. This works in a 300 page novel, but on a suspense TV show, I'm annoyed by it. Is it because I'm one of those 'plot' people? Do I tune in with the expectation of knowing MORE about where they're going?

Yes. I'm flawed that way.

Then, they moved it to the 9pm slot. I get up at 5am every morning, so staying up past 10pm because I had to watch a TV show just wasn't in the cards. We started recording them...I stopped watching.

How sad. Am I alone in my fizzling feelings of attachment to this show? It's on right now behind me. I haven't seen the last two episodes, but I don't even care. I felt like the writers didn't care enough about their audience to move us along. Cliffhanger after cliffhanger got really irritating. Not to mention obnoxious characters getting more screen time, like....Michael.

Anyway, this is pointless, but it's something I just noticed. Of course now you all get to hear about it. [Smile]

[ January 19, 2006, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Narnia. You are not alone. Xavier and I were just saying the same thing after tonight's episode. We're sick of getting ourselves all psyched up and rearranging our schedules just to watch a show where NOTHING HAPPENS.

And yeah, Michael is one of the most obnoxious characters on television and it's gotten worse in the two episodes you've missed.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean by move to the 9PM slot? I'm sort of confused. For me, it was originally on at 9PM (till 10), but with the start of this season (and even the last few reruns of last season) it was shifted forward an hour to 8PM (till 9). Now that would be 9PM Eastern, but that means originally you guys had it at 10PM Eastern. Or was the time different when the series first started airing? I didn't start watching till the first airing of the season finale, so my experience is only based from there.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still enjoying it, though not with the same intensity as I did last season. I don't think the problem is that the writers aren't answering previously raised questions, but that they're presenting too much information without real answers, and that the information they're giving us is just raising more questions. I don't mind the lack of immediate resolution, as long as they don't convolute the story by piling on the strangeness.

I have to say, though, that the last two episodes have restored my faith a bit. It seems like they might finally be getting back to the solid storytelling of last season. The show is much better when it's character driven, with weirdness in the background. Sure, the fantastical elements are great, but I think we've seen that when they overshadow everything else, the show's charm is diminished.

It's still my favorite show on TV right now.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

pfresh, we in the pacific time zone get everything LATER. We almost never get original broadcasts just because we're so far behind eastern time. I don't know how they work it, but the networks on the west coast must just decide when they want to show stuff because they really can do it whenever they want to. (It actualy broadcasts at 5 or 6 pm our time, but they don't show it until primetime.) So last year we had Lost at 8 and this year they've moved it to 9pm.

Valentine, why do I hate Michael so much? That scene on the raft in the second episode made me want to claw out my eyeballs, he was so obnoxious!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, well then you people in the Pacific time zone are getting shafted more or less. That's rather unfortunate. As for Lost, I'm kind of with Fitz on this. They are giving us a lot of information but not too many real answers. Still as long as they get around to a resolution at some point (and don't get too convoluted), then I'm okay with it. I'll keep watching it regardless, I mean what else am I going to watch on a Wednesday night.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The show is much better when it's character driven, with weirdness in the background.
I agree, which is why I stopped watching it a couple of weeks ago. I might watch the second season later, but there are so many other things competing for my time that if I'm not very keen on it there's no point in watching.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a little disappointed in the first few episodes but I enjoyed last nights episode. It seemed like they gave us a little more back story and less island wierdness-- so more character story and less spooky stuff. I agree that if they don't continue focusing on the characters the show will not have a long run because the characters are why we tune in.

The trailer last night hinted that someone dies soon.... it better not be a character I already care about. Let it be one of the newer ones. I'm still not over Boon [Razz]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Narnia, you hate Michael because he has failed as a parent in every way one can. He's bailed on his son at a crippling time and here on the island he is constantly endangering his son's life, the other passengers', as well as his own. For example, his screaming. They have asked him nicely (and not so nicely) to knock it off. The others are going to come running.

He just doesn't have any "parenting smarts."

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Wendy, not only have the episodes hinted that, but the writers have flat out said that a main character will die this season. The actors are really stressing. (Source: Entertainment Weekly)
Narnia
Member # 1071

I also hate Michael because he's a man-_itch. (If you say 'man-witch', it sounds funny. [Smile] ) He's constantly whining, blaming, yelling, criticizing, and frankly, I don't think he's a good enough actor to pull that off all the time and convince me that the writers didn't just put him in to be antagonizing. Cause that's really all he is.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Michael is trying pretty hard. He gave up his son because he realized that keeping him would mean destroying what could be a better life for him. It was an act of love.

And he is trying to bond with his son and protect him on the island. He ran off looking for him because he refused to just leave him on the other side of a strange island with crazy people.

And yeah, last week's episode seemed like a LOT of dead weight, though I liked the flashbacks they finally got back into. There are still a lot of unanswered questions that I need answers to before I stop watching.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The change to 9pm is what hurt my viewing enjoyment. I have to get to bed by 9:30 in order to get up at 4:30am.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the character that needs to die is that GUY Michelle Rodriquez. HE is a horrible actOR.

Because it's a MAN. Just like Jennifer Garner is a MAN.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I thought it was fairly obvious what Jennifer Garner is, unless there are some major medical breakthroughs that haven't been blared on the news yet [Wink]

I am really wondering which character dies. The trailer makes it seem that it is Sawyer but that seems like too easy. They wouldn't tell us that in the trailer would they? Although I guess trying to guess what "they" will do is silly isn't it?

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post 
*Dwight K. Schrute Style* Question: What the *hell* was the smoke? If they don't have a reasonable explanation for that, I'm going to hunt down the writers and stop them from ruining my life any more....other than that it was a cool episode, Mr. Eko is a BEAST!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh! Don't tell me season 2 isn't as good! We bought season 1 on DVD and *loved* it.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I also have lost interest. I'll watch it when it comes out on DVD, but it hasn't delivered the goods enough for me to arrange my schedule around it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd really started to lose interest, too, but I was able to watch this episode and thought it was pretty good.
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
This last Mr. Eko episode was one of the better ones of late, IMO.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boogashaga
Member # 8881

- posted      Profile for boogashaga   Email boogashaga         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever the "smoke" is, I think that it has the ability to look into a chracter's interior (soul?) and determine things. Last night, it was if it was "judging" Mr. Ecko, don't you think? Did it do the same to Locke?

By the way, there was no mechanical sound this week at it's apperance, even though there were the explosions. Also, even though it was, what, ranch dressing, that Locke let Michael practise on, should they really be shooting up their food stores? Now if it had been Italian dressing, that would have been OK.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that this week's episode (Eko!!!) was one of the best. I loved every minute of it. I don't really understand all the people who are losing interest. I didn't start watching until at least 2/3 of the way through the first season. It grabbed me, and I still am just as interested as ever.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
**SPOILERS for anyone who cares...

Lost is still my favorite but this season has been frustrating. I agree that this last epi was better than what has been offered lately. When Mr. Eko was introduced, I liked him and the more I learn, the more of him I like (even though I don't necessarily like all that he does). I thought he was going to stop talking again after he found his brother.

What about that darn Charlie and his stash?

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by boogashaga:
Whatever the "smoke" is, I think that it has the ability to look into a chracter's interior (soul?) and determine things. Last night, it was if it was "judging" Mr. Ecko, don't you think? Did it do the same to Locke?

That "smoke" looked like a cloud of nanites to me. Acted like one, too, particularly with the electrical flash that went on inside of it at one point. And I suspect that they're being controlled.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I think maybe Charlie figures that if they get rescued, he can sell the stuff and make enough to get a good start. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was specifically for the purpose of being able to provide for Aaron. He seems very committed to the kid.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I like Charlie's own explanation that he gave to Clare (as she was kicking him out) that it just makes him feel safe. "I'm doing fine now, but what if someday I really need it. Better to have a hoard that I never use than need it someday and not have it."
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Lost lost me. During the first season, I couldn't wait to see it. My wife and I recorded it (since I work at night) and then would watch it on Fridays.

Then, well, the second season came around and I started watching just as before. And then I missed an episode and somehow, just kind of lost the drive to keep up with it. Basically, it was after they found the second group of survivors that I lost it. I just really didn't like the leader of the second group much and short of the one lady's husband that was alive in the second group, they didn't do a thing for me.

I figured I would miss the show more than I do, but honestly, I guess that I just got tired of all the information, the expanding cast and no resolution of anything.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Word.

I haven't watched one episode since I started this thread...way back. [Smile]

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Lost is starting to lose me too. I actually misssed the last fifteen minutes of Wednesday's show because I fell asleep. Now, I was very tired, but Lost should have woken me up.

I don't like the new island-group either. Ana Lucia is so annoying. I miss Hurley and Charlie and Sawyer and Claire and Locke. I like them as characters. The dynamic has changed and I'm not happy.

Its also begun to set in that it'll probably be years before the secrets are revealed. When I think about the season finale I don't think about closure, but about nagging cliffhangers. I'm less excited about the show knowing that I'm not gonna get any payoff anytime soon.

This will probably be a show I'll watch on dvd when I have a long weekened.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I still love the show and find it very engaging. Go figure.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers, if you're worried about that...

I really liked Eko's episode, and how they tied it to the mysterious plane in the forest.

quote:
We're sick of getting ourselves all psyched up and rearranging our schedules just to watch a show where NOTHING HAPPENS.

There was a recent article in our local paper where there was an interview with the writers and creators of Lost. They said something like, (please note that this is not an actual quote--I'm taking it from memory)
quote:
There will always be mysteries on Lost because it's a TV series. Some viewers won't like that--mostly the two-hour movie types, who want everything wrapped up. But Lost doesn't work that way, we're in for the long haul, we want it to last as many seasons as we can and to hold the mystery there.
That said, I do still think that they can at least reveal more than they are doing now. I think they're too afraid of giving too much that they actually aren't giving enough as of late, and as a result some of us viewers are getting fed up with it. I guess I can understand their situation, though.

I agree that this season has not been as entertaining at the last. I think the problem has been the focus. Season one, we were meeting all of these interesting people, and seeing their complicated relationships forming. But season two comes and suddenly the plot is at the wheel--and as many weird stuff as the writers can cram into each episode.

It's like they've gotten carried away with their ability to do ANYTHING that they want with the series. I mean, anything. A cloud of black smoke mutilating people? A series of numbers that has to be typed every 108 minutes? People who mysteriously live in the jungle and drag teddy bears after them? Sure, why not!

What Lost needs to do is become the character study it began as. Eko's episode was a throwback to season one that was more "Lost" than most of the episodes lately. That's what needs to happen, IMO.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone watch last night? Sawyer's nicknames crack me up, "Mr Clean" "Gene" (I can't think of the others right now...funny though)

Interesting how Jack and his wife's marriage ended up. I wondered about that. Sad.

I thought it was another good episode. Anyone else out there watching/caring?

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Jack forming an army. Man.

Yeah, I'm still hooked.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.newbabynews.net/hospitals/sh7/public/sacredheartbirthannouncement.pl?babyID=h7-7387

For a good laugh click "Read my baby book" and see the newest entries at the bottom.

Funny the kid was born only 11 days after the show premiered.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

Ya, the army with Anna and not Sayid (who was a soldier)? Seemed a weird thing to me! Well, the whole idea of a war seemed weird. Jack is losing it a little IMO.
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think Jack's kinda losing it; I don't really like him anymore.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I never really liked Jack. He has a stick up his rear that makes him very difficult to like.

Notice that the only person Sawyer doesn't call by a nickname is Michael? I know "Mike" is a nickname, but I mean like "Freckles" and such.

I still think the 108 minutes is the orbit of the Oersted satellite, and that the black cloud is made up of nanites. And that they're being controlled by a different group of Others than the ones Jack and Co. met last night. Others that include Ethen and Goodwin and probably Desmond.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that the others were picking off survivors of the tail section, but not the ones in the front section, with the exception of Walt? I mean, three days in, and the TS were being attacked. Why did the others wait 46 days to take Walt? They obviously knew enough about them, they obviously had the ability to (I mean, Ethan snuck into camp and killed one of them with out anyone being able to do anything).

Why are the others 'allowing' them to live on the island?

What exactly happened to the survivors from the french womans ship? I know she said they got sick, so she shot them... but... what kind of sick? No one else has gotten sick.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

Unless Michael is sick (holding friends at gun point). And now Jack with his irrationality. Locke has always seemed to be teetering on the insanity side to me. Just a thought.

I didn't get that whole "allowing" them to live on the island either.

Didn't Michael seem to think that he knew something more about the computer too when he locked Locke and Jack in that vault? He said something like, "it's not what you think it is". Obviously he got some information about where the others are since he went north instead of east.

Lisa
Member # 8384

They don't know that you can communicate with it. Or rather, he doesn't know that Locke and Eko are aware of this functionality.
Narnia
Member # 1071

*hides head in shame*

OK! I watched last night's episode! And I liked it!

peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
It's ok Narnia. As long as your not mad about your Lost interest thread being derailed into a Lost discussion thread. [Smile]

I am still hooked.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

starLisa, I got the impression that it was more that that. I guess the training film made a big deal about the computer not being used for any other purpose other than to enter in the code. So you probably are right.

Narnia, do you know anyone who can get you a copy of last week? It was good too (assuming you didn't see it).

Narnia
Member # 1071

ok sweetbaboo. You ruined my other secret: I watched the encore of last week's episode too. Two full hours of Lost when I was supposed to be uninterested. [Wink]
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

*giggles* Welcome back.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Well, there were more reveals in those two episodes than there've been since the first ep of the season.
Narnia
Member # 1071

That must be why I liked them. [Smile] I'm also glad that Kate is being distanced from Jack. I think I would like her a whole lot better if she wasn't always panting after him. Now that he's incredibly pissed at her, maybe she'll take a break from that.

I'm also really starting to love Sawyer. It's taken me a while, but he's been great in the episodes of this season that I've seen.

Lisa
Member # 8384

I want to know who died and appointed Jack king.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
I also hate Michael because he's a man-_itch. (If you say 'man-witch', it sounds funny. [Smile] ) He's constantly whining, blaming, yelling, criticizing, and frankly, I don't think he's a good enough actor to pull that off all the time and convince me that the writers didn't just put him in to be antagonizing. Cause that's really all he is.

I just had to say that after watching the first episodes of this season, Ron said, "Wow. My estimation of Sawyer's personal strength of character has really gone up."

"Because he dug that bullet out with his bare hand?"

"No, because he didn't shoot Michael. Or, you know, smack him a lot."

[Big Grin]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack is king because everyone just started coming to him with their problems.

That and he's hot.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.