FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rat swims 1,300 feet across open ocean?

Author Topic: Rat swims 1,300 feet across open ocean?
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Undated -- It seemed like a good idea. Let a lone rat loose on a rodent-free island and then figure out how to kill it. That way, when other islands are invaded by rats, you'll know what to do.

Scientists figured they'd trap this foot-long varmint in no time.

Eighteen weeks later, they finally trapped it with some fresh penguin bait. On another island....

Then the researchers found rat feces on the island of Otata, 1,300 feet away across the open ocean. The DNA was a match, confirming a suspicion scientists had, that rats were good swimmers. WFMY News

That conclusion seems a bit too fantastic. Isn't it more likely that the rat hitched a ride on a ship?
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I read about this on the BBC's website. If it did actually swim that far, I'm shocked a shark or some other predator didn't get it.

I was also disturbed by the use of penguin meat as a bribe, and the fact that they killed the rat - does that mean it had some kind of disease or something? And if so, what the heck were they doing setting it loose in the first place? I'd think they'd want to study that particular rat to make sure the swim wasn't due to some freak mutation or something, rather than a species-wide inherent ability.

But probably copious details were left out of the articles, so maybe they did check for weird variables.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Good point about the study. It could be a super rat holding secrets to curing cancer or something. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth Ender
Member # 7694

- posted      Profile for Darth Ender           Edit/Delete Post 
He used the force
Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth Ender:
He used the force

Ah. Of course, that explains it perfectly. [Smile]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

The force couldn't get Anakin over ten feet of lava, you think it could propel a rat across the ocean? [Razz]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Why must it have swum? Could it not have constructed a rat raft? Or been swallowed whole by a large fish and then disgorged on the shore of another island? Perhaps rat #1 remained on island #1, but constructed a genetics lab, cloned itself, seeded the young clones across the sea via hot air balloons.

And how many jobs out-rank looking for rat feces on remote islands? I know that mine does.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a Soviet government (it's still there!) conspiracy, and that the entire thing was planned by Elvis Presley on the Moon.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Art Vandelay
Member # 8690

- posted      Profile for Art Vandelay   Email Art Vandelay         Edit/Delete Post 
1300 feet isn't that far.

Nutria are in the rat family, although they're designed to spend a lot of time in the water so I guess that's different.

Dogs and cats could easily swim that far, why not rats?

Posts: 31 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe a swimming dog was chasing the swimming cat which was chasing the swimming rat.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.