FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Freakin' ARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!

Author Topic: Freakin' ARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
A spider just dropped off the ceiling onto my keyboard. Thank a gracious God it didn't land on ME or this might be a postmortem note from my husband. "Jeniwren loved Hatrack, so I'm sure she'd like you to know that an unfortunate incident with a falling spider led to her untimely demise."

Now that I'm done screaming, how do I get rid of the serious willies I have? *walks off shuddering*

It does not help at all that this is the second day in a row this has happened. [Angst] [Angst] [Angst] [Angst] [Angst]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
We have wolf spiders all over the place and a very large orb weaver of some sort (bright red, too) keeps building a web directly over my lawn mower, wherever I park it, causing me to fear Death From Above everytime I pull it out.

Edit: I guess my only helpful advice is "you'll get used to it eventually"?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Broom. (Chair or ladder if necessary.) Ceiling. Bye-bye webs.

You will feel victorious, and you will be less likely to be dive-bombed.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Broom wrapped in rags. Otherwise webbies stick to your broom. *shudders*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Hmm. I use the rags to wipe it down after.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Broom wrapped in rags. Otherwise webbies stick to your broom. *shudders*
I prefer the vacuum approach. That way I avoid both webs sticking to the broom and falling webs (eek!).

At least the spiders eat the other ickies.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
We genetically engineer a virus that kills all arachnids.

All those in favor?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Miriya:
I prefer the vacuum approach. That way I avoid both webs sticking to the broom and falling webs (eek!).

Unless your vacuum has a very long wand/hose, not always practical.

And Lisa, for SHAME! [No No] What would David haMelech say!?

Besides, I let spiders stay in my place (as opposed to insects, who give up all rights to life the moment they enter my home). They eat the bugs! But I will remove their webs if I don't apprecaite the location.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I allow daddylonglegs. But I do not like wolf spiders.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Hmm. I use the rags to wipe it down after.

Swiffer is your friend LOL
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Jim-Me, I don't think it's possible for me to get used to it eventually. Death would be far preferable, even more so than moving, which would also solve the problem. My son likes to initiate conversations about bugs just to see my flesh start to crawl. It's very entertaining for him, I'm sure, but I must say he looks very nice with duct tape over his mouth. So now he just starts these conversations in the car where my ability to retaliate is limited to screaming hysterically.

I only have one of those big garage push brooms. I may have to see if the vacuum wand will extend to the ceiling. I think I'm sorry we got a house with 12' ceilings. Thing is, I can't see any webs up there.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

spiders ≠ bugs

In fact, not all insects are bugs. Although most of the ones you're likely to find in your house are.

Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you need some http://www.nottproducts.com/spidernot/spidernot.jpg

Spider not!!!!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

rivka, if it's not a tree but has more limbs than I do, it's a bug. That's the technical definition, I'm just sure of it.

The vacuum wand DOES reach the ceiling, so I'm just going to sweep the whole damn thing.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, you may not want to visit me, then. We have two acres of land and I would say, between 50-100 wolf spiders running around the yard, based on the frequency with which I see them sprinting away from the lawnmower...

Jeni, I understand the death before moving thought [Smile]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by jeniwren:
rivka, if it's not a tree but has more limbs than I do, it's a bug. That's the technical definition, I'm just sure of it.

[Laugh]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
many daddy longlegs aren't spiders
http://spiders.ucr.edu/daddylonglegs.html

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
don't know if it's a myth, but:

"You're never more than 3 feet from a spider."

I don't get it. Spiders are cute. And they eat bugs.

What's the problem?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Imagine the spider's feelings. I mean, here he tries to commit suicide two days in a row and fails both times.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Congratulations, Glenn. You've given me a PERMANENT case of the willies. Spiders are not cute. Unless they're wearing roller skates.

[Laugh] Boris.

Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa posted:

"We genetically engineer a virus that kills all arachnids.

All those in favor?"

*raises hand*
Me!
Can't we just breed more lizards?
[Big Grin]

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
I always think of "Lost Boys" when I see Daddy Long Legs.
Remember "nightmare ballerinas"?

That's the best description of those I have ever heard.

Edit: OSC's book, Lost Boys.
Not the vampire movie.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
[Evil] I love Spiders. [Evil]

I've had them as pets and let them got thier way when I see tham about the house. Especially becasue they kill insects I dont like.

Exceptions are black widows of course, not uncommon in my locale. They die.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

What's the problem?

...they bite.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The vacuum wand DOES reach the ceiling, so I'm just going to sweep the whole damn thing.

What about cute doggies and kitties? Are they bugs too? [Eek!]
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Dogs and cats have four limbs. People have four limbs. [Razz]

EDIT: Unless a tail counts as a limb, I guess.

Spiders are creepy. I can get pretty hysterical if I see one. I completely know how you feel. [Frown]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been bitten by more dogs than spiders. And as far as spiders go, I do not bother them if I do not have to. If I am sweeping away cobwebs, that is the spider's loss. But generally, I leave them alone.

Jim, I have this flippin HUGE spider that lives in the furnace room. I have these Culligan filters I change once a month, and I USUALLY check for the blasted thing. But every once in a while, it catches me off guard and I get a little squicked, shudder, then move on. Your lawnmower story reminded me of that...

I also live in the country and have 3 different sliding-glass doors. There is a veritable smorgasboard of bugs that cram themselves in the framework of the door and fall out every time it is opened, sometimes raining all sorts of insects upon the unsuspecting passerby...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JannieJ
Member # 8683

- posted      Profile for JannieJ   Email JannieJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
quote:

What's the problem?

...they bite.
There is a huge bird-eating spider on TV right now. The Crocodile Hunter is playing with it or something. And [Eek!] I'm not looking until it's gone.
Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
quote:

What about cute doggies and kitties? Are they bugs too? [Eek!]
Sorry, I was thinking legs not limbs. I had a friend who once told me that he thought anything with more than four legs or less than two was gross...except for Daddy Long Legs because you could pull four of the legs off and then they looked really cool.

I never tried it to see if he was right or not. [No No]

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems the solution is obvious.

Somehow, you've got to obtain some radioactive experiment equipment. Preferably equipment that involved radioactive laser beams. Set it up over your head. Let spiders keep dropping on you. Let one bite you.

Then commence your life of angst-ridden super-heroism.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
*gasp* The Goddess Lolth Queen of Spiders will be very angry with most of you. (for those that understand the reference).

Otherwise what I generally do I remove them from the premesis and place them outside since I don't like them touching me, I don't mind looking at them but touching them?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My vision of jeniwren
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that particular deity would have as a starting position 'pissed off' at humanity anyway.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Drizzt got it, neh?
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
quote:

What's the problem?

...they bite.
Almost none of the spiders you will find in your home have any interest in biting you.

Unless you are a housefly. And in that case, may I suggest you have bigger things to worry about?

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a reaction to just about every bite, including like mosquito ones, so I can't be around spiders, once my foot doubled in size from a little clear one.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Unreasonable fears are completely unreasonable. I realize that bugs, spiders included, are generally self centered little creatures that have no interest whatsoever in me, save what my house can provide them in terms of shelter and food. They can even stay. As long as they don't establish the appalling habit of dropping off the ceiling onto my desk. Or me. And especially not my bed. THAT thought makes my skin want to take up residence elsewhere.

Tante, that's a very good picture. Pretty close, actually, except that the spider is much bigger and my hair is a little longer. And I don't really like curds and whey. But other than that, it's an exact likeness. [Big Grin] (totally unrelated aside, we had that nursery rhyme painted on the wall of my daughter's room in our old house. It was my second favorite one, just after 'There was a little girl who had a little curl...', which is very accurate for the little girl in question.)

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to pick up grandaddy long-legs and throw them at other kids on the playground when I was little. Now I absolutely can't stand spiders. If they're in my room or bathroom, they die. For instance, the day before yesterday a grandaddy long-legs climbed onto my bed and was coming at me with its freaking huge legs so I knocked it off the bed. But then I couldn't find it to kill it. Then a few minutes later it CAME BACK. So then it died by being smashed with a videotape.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
if it's not a tree but has more limbs than I do, it's a bug.

What if it is an amputee?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Amputee bugs are still bugs, but ones to be laughed and jeered at before being smooshed out of existence. It's almost fun to see a four legged spider, if all their legs are only one one side. [Evil]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.