FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Daniel Radcliffe's Future

Author Topic: Daniel Radcliffe's Future
Salah
Member # 7294

- posted      Profile for Salah   Email Salah         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering, for all the Harry Potter fans out there-
Do you think that Daniel Radcliffe is already outgrowing his character's age in the series? Has he actually been following the correct age of Harry in the films, or does he already appear to be older? (I ask because I'm not very familiar with the books).

Even more so, I'm curious if there will still be as much interest in the films as the books- especially if 7, 8 or 9 films would have to be made to keep up with J.K's novels. You would think Daniel would be much too old for Harry's character by then. I wonder if fans will still flock to the theater when and IF there's a, say 7th film.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. They will. We're already in pre-production for the 5th film (Though Radcliffe hasn't signed on yet) and they've been churning one out every 2 years. They can keep him 'young' enough to do it (he's supposed to be 17 in book 7) by 2009. He'll only by 3 or 4 years older than Harry is supposed to be.

Fans will still flock. Especially if Goblet of Fire is as good as it looks like it will be.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Whats this about book 8 and 9?

I thought she was stopping at 7... even though *SPOILER> mind you Hogwarts will be closed in book seven so he wouldn't really be in his 7th year of school...

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I heard the plan was to use different kids for the final movies?
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't a plan. They want the same kids for all the movies, but the kids had only signed on through Goblet of Fire. I think they're in talks to get them signed on for at least one more, possibly (hopefully) the rest.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Last I heard, no decision had been reached as to whether they'd stick with the same kids all the way through. On the other hand, voting on a poll I wrote last year has held steady with 95% of those polled wanting the original actors to keep their jobs. And I'm in that 95%.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
UW, I'm guessing Salah didn't know how many books there will be because I'm pretty sure she said she hadn't read them. That spoiler was awful, and not nearly enough warning, I'll be ok, but it entirely changed my perspectives.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

Actually, speaking as somebody who has read all the books, that spoiler is not something we know one way or the other at this point. (I'm willing to discuss that further, but not in this thread, nor any other one not clearly labeled as being spoilerific.)
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salah
Member # 7294

That was just be SO wrong to change the actors. I'm glad it sounds like they're staying with the ones they have now.

I would happily go to theaters to see every HP film made. Of course by the time they come out with the last of the films, the studios may have implemented the system of movies coming out in theaters and DVD in the same day. Hmm, interesting choice.

But...(spoiler, spoiler, spoiler) Hogwarts closes! Now I'm curious.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
If the old sitcom "Head of the Class" can cast thirty-somethings as high-school teens, I think Harry's audience will forgive early-twenties people as late-teenagers.

I think the principals are great, and I hope they keep them all.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whats this about book 8 and 9?
I think you misunderstood Salah. I think he/she was trying to say that perhaps because of the growing length of the books, a director might need to make an 8th or 9th film to fit in the content of the next books.

(I'm not 100% percent sure that was what was implied, maybe Salah could clarify that statement?)

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Shmuel and Salah I emailed you with regard to this thread
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Little known fact: The actor who played Cameron in Ferris Bueller's Day Off was 29. I think Daniel Radcliff's job is safe.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Beverly Hills 90210. Thirty-something actors playing teenagers.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John and Stockard Channing.

Well, then again, that doesn't prove anything.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salah
Member # 7294

Valentine, that just goes to show that I'm really NOT familiar with the books- I was just guessing about how many novels are supposedly going to be in the series. That said to clarify statement. Isn't it going to be 7?

On another note, I now agree about the whole age thing not having such significance. In the tv series Clueless, there were 25 and 26 year old actors playing high schoolers.

Shmuel
Member # 7586

There will, indeed, be a total of seven books in the series. Rowling has been quite firm about this in interviews over the years.
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you not familiar with the books because you haven't read them? If so, what are you waiting for??
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Welling is in his mid thirties. He was a guest star on "Judging Amy" a few times as Amy's boyfriend, it was really hard adjusting to the fact taht he wasn't actually in high school.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Try 28. He's only a year older than I am.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Domasai
Member # 8739

- posted      Profile for Domasai   Email Domasai         Edit/Delete Post 
Changing the kids would be a mistake at this point. Imagine if you'd watched "A New Hope" and "Empire Strikes Back" only to have different actors playing Luke, Han, and Leia in "Return of the Jedi". Besides, if you can have people in their late twenties and early thirties playing teens routinely on television, then the fact that the kids are a couple of years ahead in the end doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Not to mention the fact that the new Dumbledore really freaked out my little cousin. He utterly confused her. True, she's only a small child, but it's symptomatic of the effect change can have.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salah
Member # 7294

At this point, I'm hesitant to read the books because I can see myself getting addicted and paying attention to nothing else, inlcluding my college courses. It's happened before.

I found out that Daniel is going to be starring in a film called "December Boys" before Order of the Phoenix comes out. I think he's playing an orphan (sounds familiar).

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
UW, I'm guessing Salah didn't know how many books there will be because I'm pretty sure she said she hadn't read them. That spoiler was awful, and not nearly enough warning, I'll be ok, but it entirely changed my perspectives.

Don't jump to conclusions. As far as I'm aware, there's no evidence that the spoiler was true.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
breyerchic, Sorry for not giving you enough warning. I will do better from now on.

**SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER*

I hope thats enough warning.

Even if Hogwarts doesn't close (which is left to the ministry of magic).. Harry said he wasn't going back.

/*SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

spoilers below

Spoilers below

ok, I'd read the book, I thought you could possibly have some sort of insider knowledge, or have read an interview I hadn't, they sometimes exist. I wouldn't be too surprised if it doesn't close, or if Harry does go back, no one has ever said it is up to the minister of magic, McGonnagal can make some decisions.

theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude. Mean Girls. Lindsay Lohan was about 17 filming that movie. Rachel McAdams (Regina, the main antagonist) is 10 years older than Lindsay Lohan.

Adults are cast in teenage roles all the time. Why would any studio go through the trouble of using minors (school, obnoxious moms, labor laws) when there are adults (e.g. me >:-( ) who look like children? I got mistaken for 13 this August (I'm 19) Not pretty. Half the time Hollywood picks people who are not children.

Right now, there's a 18 month gap between HP movies (for the first two there was a 12 month gap. This got changed because it was too stressful). Originally, Daniel Radcliff was Harry's age while filming. Emma Watson was a year younger, and Rupert Grint was a year older. Now Emma's the right age, Radcliff is a year older and Grint is two years older. Still no big deal. Though by the time Emma hits majority, they could probably close the gap back to a year, simply because the actors could work longer. But that's three years (and two movies) from now. Assuming book7's movie was made 4 years from now, Watson would be 18 to film, and Grint would be 20. Three years removed from 17? No problem with anybody. And besides, the way the last three books are shaping up, I highly highly doubt that the actors will think their roles are immature. If they did, we'd all know they were jerks.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

My highschool principal thought I was a sixth grader there on a field trip during my senior year! I was 18 and he thought I was 12, and had apparently never seen me before, in the 4 years we'd been in the same building. My homeroom teacher was standing there but laughing to hard to save me.
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I still can get in at kid's prices in movie theaters. That's 11 years old or younger. I'm sixteen.

How old is Tom Felton?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I still can get in at kid's prices in movie theaters. That's 11 years old or younger. I'm sixteen.

How old is Tom Felton?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I can too, but I think it's because I went to high school with just about everybody that works there. And it's like 6 and under here.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.