FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Coffee Shops

Author Topic: Coffee Shops
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like hot drinks of any kind most of the time, tea once in a while, I haven't drank much hot cofee other than stuff my dad has brewed and I think that's probably too weak so tastes like hot water with bad flavor), Cider only at campfires when it's freezing out. But occasionally I've found in social situations I need to go to a coffee shop, so what should I order.

What do you like to get, even if you do like hot drinks? LDS people, if you have to go in a coffee shop what do you get?

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on where you go- if you go to Starbucks- you could just get some simple hot chocolate- probably the same at most coffee shops.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what I get at starbucks, but at random places that aren't starbucks, and usually frown pretty big when you say mocha frappucino (see I like the coffee flavor, it's the hot that I don't like).

And in the Border's coffee shop I get a caramel Italian soda, which is soda water and caramel syrup with ice. But non chain places, I have no clue.

And I'm curious about others, I don't remember seeing a topic like this before.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Every place I've been to has something along the lines of "iced mocha." Also, have you tried italian soda with a bit of cream in it? It's delicious.

Personally, I prefer hot mint mocha, cafe au lait, or most kinds of tea.

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Here in Bloomington Runcible Spoon is apposed to Iced Mocha, they had it for a while a few years ago, but not any more. No I haven't tried Italian Soda with cream, but that does sound good.

Tea I drink when I'm stressed or tired, but it isn't quite a social drink for me, more a security blanket, and I don't like taking those out with friends.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to get soda with cream (a.k.a. French soda) get it in vanilla. It tastes just like a milkshake. Mmm...
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Many coffee shops have steamers, which is steamed milk without the coffee. Typically available with flavorings. Honey and strawberry are preferred.

--Enigmatic
(Not LDS, just doesn't like coffee)

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Starbucks and places like that usually have really good flavored tea. I like passionfruit.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't drink coffee. I do drink tea but I don't always order that when I go to coffee shops. More often than not, I order a hot chocolate.
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think pretty much any coffeeshop should have iced lattes in various flavors, as well as iced teas. I used to work at a coffeeshop that was non-chain so we couldn't use trademarked recipes like frappucinos, but we still had the hot and iced drinks with all the flavor syrups, as well as "iced blended drinks," which were really frappucinos from non-Starbucks sources.

My usual when I don't feel like being creative is a hazelnut latte, either hot or iced depending on the weather. And I get soy milk when available because I'm a bit lactose intolerant. But there's very little that comes out of a coffeeshop that I dislike...the only thing I can think of is that I'm not too fond of amaretto flavoring.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

So basically there aren't many options other than starbucks that have cold drinks. At least I haven't found it.

and Enigmatic, I knew you weren't LDS, you're Dana's brother, and I read your landmark.

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

No, no, as long as they have ice, they can make an iced coffee drink. All they have to do is mix the syrup flavoring with the espresso shot, then pour it over ice and add milk - they don't even have to steam the milk. And voila! A deliciously cold coffee beverage!

Even if it's not on the menu, if you ask they'll probably make it. (I can't think why it wouldn't be on the menu - cold drinks are pretty popular.)

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Ok, thanks nell (I typed before you posted). Most people had been listing other things with no coffee, but usually they were hot, and that's the part I don't like, not sure why. But at least one of the coffee shops here in town is very persnickity and at least frowns on anything in coffee but coffee (and they have fish in the bathroom!) but usually my friends and I end up in there for breakfast so I get orange juice and pancakes.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I hang out in a lot of coffee shops because my dad's band and his friends' bands play in them. I tend to get snacks like pastries or sandwiches (one place has wonderful sandwiches and paninis!) and some lemonade or Italian sodas if they have them (a lot of places around here do.) One place has pies and ice cream! Can't beat that! If I'm at $tarbuck$ for some obscure reason, I get gingerbread or muffins, and if it's cold some steamed milk or spiced cider, if it's not, a juice.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Ooh...I didn't think about the snacky goodness. But I suppose that can vary widely from place to place. At Starbucks, I'm quite partial to the chocolate chip cookies and the low-fat oatmeal banana bread. And this tiny little coffee/antique shop in my hometown has divine scones.

But I've never seen a coffeeshop that served pancakes - that makes me think "diner," which I would not expect to have an espresso machine, much less do iced coffees. [Dont Know]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

it's on a college campus.
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Oh, okay, that explains it. I love how college campuses tend to just make up their own definitions for eating establishments. [Wink]
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of definitions...to me, a coffee shop is someplace like Denny's or Bob's Big Boy or even IHOP. That's what they were always called in my family when I was growing up. Starbucks (ugh!), on the other hand, is a coffee house.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Really? I always think of Denny's/IHOP type places as a pancake house or a diner. To me, a coffeeshop is a place that specializes in coffee, or at least specializes to a degree beyond what you can get in gas stations.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

yeah, Runcible Spoon specializes in coffee, but has breakfast, and I believe lunch, but with an edge, like the pancakes are buckweat, and they have real dishes, even if they don't match.
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

I love buckwheat pancakes. [Smile] Okay, I was picturing an old-fashioned pancake diner where the only coffee is the regular brewed kind, and maybe fake (instant) cappucino if you're lucky. That place sounds more along the lines of Panera Bread Co., only on the breakfast side rather than the sandwich/bagel side.

Now I'm hungry for pancakes... [Grumble]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I usually ask for water. I'm not a big spender when it comes to specialty drinks. Especially at Border's or Barnes & Noble. I don't go to a bookstore to eat. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JannieJ
Member # 8683

- posted      Profile for JannieJ   Email JannieJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
I usually ask for water. I'm not a big spender when it comes to specialty drinks. Especially at Border's or Barnes & Noble. I don't go to a bookstore to eat. [Smile]

Frankly, if I'm in a bookstore, I often spend too much money to feel I can afford a four dollar coffee drink. [Razz]
Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Dunkin Donuts makes the best iced coffee ever, but they do not have Dunkin Donuts around the country like they do in Massachusetts. Here, there is one about every five miles. And I know some DD's that dont make Coolattas, which are a frozen drink.

And can someone explain the Mormon hot drink rule again? Wha are hot drinks not OK?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Is tea ok for LDS?

For me, my drinks are generally a raspberry white mocha, iced or not depending on the weather. If they don't have white mocha, I'll get a raspberry mocha.

My other option is chai, which is so yummy. It's good iced too.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I love chai!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've never seen a coffee shop that served pancakes
Me neither.

quote:
Is tea ok for LDS?
Nope.

quote:
And can someone explain the Mormon hot drink rule again?
Technically, the rule is no coffee or tea or products made from/containing coffee or tea. Now, that's the traditional interpretation. Some people go further in one direction and will not drink caffeine at all, including caffeinated sodas. Some go in the other direction and do not drink hot chocolate or herbal tea or any other hot drink. Personally, I'm somewhere in between; I drink hot chocolate and spiced cider when it is very cold to warm up and herbal tea for medicinal purposes, and drink a caffeinated soda now and then but limit myself to avoid a habit.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is tea ok for LDS?
No.

quote:
And can someone explain the Mormon hot drink rule again?
Our scriptures say to not use "hot drinks". This has been clarified by our prophets to mean coffee and tea.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I like those frozen coffee drinks at Barnes and Nobles.

They're like a chocolate coffee milkshake.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify, is this due to the caffiene in coffee,tea, soda, etc? So if it was decaf could you have it or is that not ok too?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No. It's due to revelation. Caffeine is not specifically forbidden (some people avoid it anyway because of their personal interpretation.) Hot drinks are, which have been interpreted as coffee and tea. So decaf is out, although herbal teas (which are not made from tea) are okay.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

thanks everyone!
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally get an amaretto latte, at least when I find a place that has it. Starbucks doesn't quite have enough variety for me, but I think that's a side effect of working there for too long.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually get whatever version on a Frappucinno the coffee shop sells (they usually call them frappes, or blended coffee drinks). Of course I have more variety here than you do, breyer! [Wink] If for some reason I don't want caffiene, I get hot chocolate or some tea like World Peace, Market Spice, etc.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Coming from Seattle home not only to Starbucks, Seattle's Best, and Tully's, but also to the drive-through espresso stands on every corner, I have had a lot of experience ordering non-coffee/tea from such establisments, though living outside of Seattle may greatly reduce the quality/variety/availability of such options. First is unusually good hot cocoa/chocolate milk. Then come a whole range of italian sodas. These have flavoring syrup, club soda, and optionally heavy cream. My brothers and I used to compete for most original and good tasting italian sodas. One of my favorites was root beer-kiwi without cream. A lot of these establishments also serve smoothies made from yogurt and frozen fruit, chai tea, a variety of tea blends including both herbal and 'pekoe' based, apple cider often with cinnamon and/or caramel flavoring, and other non-coffee drinks.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.