FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Books on CD

Author Topic: Books on CD
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
So, for most of this school year, I will be spending substantial amounts of time driving all over the state of Indiana in my car. Radio generally sucks here, and besides I like a good story to keep my mind off the fact that I am, in fact, driving all over the state of Indiana.

That said, I need recommendations for good books on CD that I can play in my car while driving. I'm looking for fiction, not too expensive, and not too...heavy. If it's the sort of thing I'd have to read a couple of times through to get the complete meaning, it's probably not going to work.

Suggestions?

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're a mystery lover, I'd say anything Dick Francis. Also, I enjoy the Mrs. Polifax series by Dorothy Gilman. You can usually check them out from your local library. There are several companies such as Recorded Books, Inc. and Books on Tape (which also has books on cd) who lease books on a 30 day period. They mail them to you and have a prepaid return package. I've used them in the past and they have reasonable prices and large catalogs. [Cool]
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Undaunted Courage by Whoever Wrote It
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, consider joining Audible.com, they have monthly subscriptions where you can get a book or two a month for reasonable prices. You can burn them to CD or put them on an mp3 player to listen to. Great stuff.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from a good story, I think the most important aspect of a quality audio is the reader. My preference is for a single reader.

Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series is terrific and very well read.

"Harry Potter" all the books are read by Jim Dale and I don't think that there is a better reader in the business.

Neil Gaiman's "Anansi Boys" is very good.

"The Five People You Meet In Heaven" is just beautiful. It is a parable and is very well written story, but the music and the cadence of the audio version magnify this work to something spectacular.

"The Virtues of War" by Steven Pressfield is terrific. It is considered historical fiction, but I read "Alexander The Great and His Time" by Agnes Savill and with very few exceptions, Pressfield's research and conclusions appear to be spot on.

Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series is very well read and is a very good story.

GRR Martin's "A Song of Fire and Ice" series is a terrific story, but the audios were done some time ago and are only available on casette, so though the reading is good, the sound quality is moderate.

Ellis's "Founding Brothers" and "His Excellency: George Washington" are non-fiction, but an absolute must listen IMO.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
Neil Gaiman's "Anansi Boys" is very good.
You know, I almost, almost bought this last time I was in B&N. I went with Son of a Witch instead. I'm also going for stuff I haven't read yet, which means no Harry Potter, Dark Tower, or Fire and Ice. [Smile]

His Excellency, George Washington sounds appealing, too.

Thanks, andi, Steve, and Lady, for the suggestions! [Smile]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, one more that I loved, though it made driving difficult due to uncontrollable fits of laughter, was Ellen Degeneres's "The Funny Thing Is...". It is read by the author.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I second LadyDove. I have Books 3 and 4 of HP and they are read beautifully. As a matter of fact, I let my mother borrow them last week.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of good suggestions here.

Unless you've already exhausted it, check your local public library for audiobooks. Often the best ones are checked out, so check the catalog and place holds on ones you want.

Some other good ones =

The Prairie Home Companion "Pretty Good Joke" tapes.

Non-fiction... Stephen Ambrose, Barbara Tuchman (A Distant Mirror), and David McCullough all write very readable/listenable histories.

David Brin's The Postman.

Rob Inglis does a great narration of Lord of the Rings.

(Hi LadyDove! [Wave] )

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Actually, I tried the public library first. Though they have a great selection of movies and are in all other ways completely wonderful, their selection of audio books on CD is not so hot (and it does have to be on CD; that's what I have in my car).

Lord of the Rings is right out for the same reason as Harry Potter, Fire and Ice, etc. Humor, though...I hadn't thought of humor. I'll look into "The Funny Thing Is" and the "Pretty Good Jokes" album.

Thanks!

jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Harry Potter" all the books are read by Jim Dale and I don't think that there is a better reader in the business.
I'd just like to note that Stephen Fry does the British versions and is immensely better.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on your driving, Cracker Barrell Restaurants has a rental policy. You can pick up a book at one store, listen to it while your driving, and return it to another, when you can then pick up a second book.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

I wanted to revive this thread and get some fresh recommendations. =)

I especially enjoy shorter stories because it is easier to skip around chapters on my ipod when the length is shorter.

Here are my recommendations.

"Pleasure of My Company" Steve Martin/Steve Martin

"Pride and Prejudice" Jane Austen/Kate Reading

"Snow Crash" Neal Stephenson/Jonathan Davis

"The Fountainhead" Ayn Rand/Christopher Hurt

"Silmarillion" JRR Tolkien/?

"Bag of Bones" Stephen King/Stephen King

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.