FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Teenie Bopper Racists??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Teenie Bopper Racists???
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
web page

How can this be true?

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
How can in not be true?
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Creepy... Extremely creepy. As they are just cubs and probably don't know anything other than what their parents spoonfed them.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely creepy and sad.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

Wow, they even have the gothic font and everything.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

quote:
Aryan man awake, How much more will you take, Turn that fear to hate, Aryan man awake.
[Angst]
Avadaru
Member # 3026

Oh, wow. This is even creepier.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You've got to be taught to hate and fear
You've got to be taught from ear to ear
It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made
And people whose skin is a different shade

You've got to be taught before it's too late
Before you are six or seven or eight
To hate all the people your relatives hate

I don't actually believe that's entirely true, but it certainly helps to produce that true-blue axiomatic hate.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Avadaru, you're last link is broken. That might be good.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Avadaru:
Oh, wow. This is even creepier.

[Angst] [Wall Bash]

So true... Hitler Smilie face shirts... arg...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

The picture can be found under the link "Forum" on the girls' main page. They are modeling some t-shirts for a company called "Aryan Wear". You'll know which one when you see it.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Can I recomend you kill the links. No need to give a&^holes possible google linkage.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
That just makes me sad [Frown] Those poor kids don't even have a chance to decide for themselves. They're being brain washed by their parents and aren't being exposed to other points of view in an environment where they can make their own choice. They may never get that chance. If there's any reason I could ever be against home schooling, this is it.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
awww... They have smiley face Tshirts awww...

Got that right, Synesthesia. And a very strong argument against allowing parents to keep their kids from ~1400hours per year of exposure to other kids with different beliefs at public schools via home or private schooling.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... wow... SCARY!
Actually, makes me more disgusted than anything else. Poor girls. [Frown]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I saw that too.

I get a pretty good sense of how delusional the mom is just by skimming the blogspot site.

Especially where she talks about how courageous the girls are to play in venues where they are booed and protested.

This is 70% sad, 30% scary.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Question: how is what they're doing any different than most of mainstream rap, hip hop, and television?

It's ok for black people to call white people crackers and honkies (honkeys?) and basically rag on them for absurd stereotypes, to indict them for crimes of the past and to promote continued fear, but not ok for the white people to do the same? At least they aren't calling black people the N word.

This country has overcompensated for racism against black americans in petty, meaningless ways to the point of nausea. Congratulations, we can't say "n****r" on TV without it getting censored (unless we're black), we can't insult black people (unless we're black), but cracker, honky, jap, chink, fag, queer, dyke, and other miscellaneous pejoratives just...magically slip through the cracks?

It was earlier this year that Miss Cleo of New York City's Hot 97 aired the extremely racist, brutally outrageous clip in which she (a black woman) and her co-hosts (black men) repeatedly insulted asians, to the point of saying "Man, I'm gonna start shooting asians." Their punishment was...a two week suspension. Gee, I hope they learned their lesson. If the hosts had been white and the subjects black, their punishment would have been ten times as harsh. For some reason, it is continually okay to be a racist if you're not white, while white people are continually condemned for the slightest slip that might indicate they aren't completely fair minded about race.

Prussian Blue seems like a pretty natural reaction to me, especially the way they (and other white power musical groups) motivate: turn the fear into hate. American History X illustrated this point as well, in a reasonable way: where else are scared white kids going to turn?

It just seems silly that people are so shocked by this. The double standard always has and always will bother me.

Oh, and for the record, I'm not white.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You've got to be taught to hate and fear
You've got to be taught from ear to ear
It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear

That's one of my all-time favorite songs. At least the way Mandy Patinkin sings it, paired with Children Will Listen.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

First of all, it's not really mainstream rap in a way, and second of all, both of these things disturb me, but somehow a pair of little girls singing about race wars scares me even more...
I'm not white either, but it's not as if they are even acting on their own you know... They have only had one perspective on things, not much of an outside force, just constant, "your race is superior, your skin is your uniform" junk rammed down their throats all the time.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
It's ok for black people to call white people crackers and honkies (honkeys?)
*looks around*

*fails to see anyone saying that's OK*

*wonders why it's relevant*

Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Especially where she talks about how courageous the girls are to play in venues where they are booed and protested.

I haven't read that entry, but do you have a better term for it? Sounds courageous to me, whether or not it's misguided.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Go read it.

She's not delusional for saying their behavior was courageous (which you rightfully point out that it was). She's delusional because she paints them as victims. They don't get why anyone would have a problem with this music and she's shocked when their appearance at a community fair is cancelled.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
It's ok for black people to call white people crackers and honkies (honkeys?)
*looks around*

*fails to see anyone saying that's OK*

*wonders why it's relevant*

Indeed... as Honky or Cracker as terms seems... softer somehow than the N word... Maybe because it doesn't have the history of people dangling from trees to back that up. I don't know... I'd rather do away with all slurs myself. I hate them.
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm... did anyone else notice that article considers the Olsen twins a pair of "singers"?
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Synaesthesia basically just summarized why it's relevant, Dag.

Honky/Honkey/Cracker is softer somehow than the N word? They're all racial slurs used to degrade and debase people. The N word may have a history of people dangling from trees to back it up, but that's what it was: history. I'd be a lot more afraid in this day and age as a white kid growing up in a black community than as a black kid growing up in a white community. We're okay with movies called "White Men Can't Jump," but you can bet your ass there'd be a riot if they made one called "Black Men Can't Read."

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

But there's a difference between those two things... It's hard to explain what it is, but it's there... One is a stupid stereotype, but a joke. The other, just plan offensive.
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... the Olsen twins did sing sometimes. Sold some songs and music videos, didn't they?
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
This is very sad. But

quote:
And a very strong argument against allowing parents to keep their kids from ~1400hours per year of exposure to other kids with different beliefs at public schools via home or private schooling.
I have to disagree with this-- in some areas, kids have their parents' beliefs reinforced on the schoolyard as much as at home. And in any case, most home-schoolers don't do it in order to brainwash their kids into non-mainstream ideas.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mariann
Member # 8724

- posted      Profile for Mariann   Email Mariann         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
Question: how is what they're doing any different than most of mainstream rap, hip hop, and television?

It's ok for black people to call white people crackers and honkies (honkeys?) and basically rag on them for absurd stereotypes, to indict them for crimes of the past and to promote continued fear, but not ok for the white people to do the same? At least they aren't calling black people the N word.

This country has overcompensated for racism against black americans in petty, meaningless ways to the point of nausea. Congratulations, we can't say "n****r" on TV without it getting censored (unless we're black), we can't insult black people (unless we're black), but cracker, honky, jap, chink, fag, queer, dyke, and other miscellaneous pejoratives just...magically slip through the cracks?

It was earlier this year that Miss Cleo of New York City's Hot 97 aired the extremely racist, brutally outrageous clip in which she (a black woman) and her co-hosts (black men) repeatedly insulted asians, to the point of saying "Man, I'm gonna start shooting asians." Their punishment was...a two week suspension. Gee, I hope they learned their lesson. If the hosts had been white and the subjects black, their punishment would have been ten times as harsh. For some reason, it is continually okay to be a racist if you're not white, while white people are continually condemned for the slightest slip that might indicate they aren't completely fair minded about race.

Prussian Blue seems like a pretty natural reaction to me, especially the way they (and other white power musical groups) motivate: turn the fear into hate. American History X illustrated this point as well, in a reasonable way: where else are scared white kids going to turn?

It just seems silly that people are so shocked by this. The double standard always has and always will bother me.

Oh, and for the record, I'm not white.

I can see where you're coming from, but some of us (*ahem* me) is also shocked and appalled by the racism and ignorance displayed by blacks in the mainstream media. Even if it's mere ignorance, it still speaks tons about that person's victim mentality, and their automatic suspicions against white people. Kanye West, in his latest album, claimed the government "administered AIDS." To me, that is ignorance that should be called on, but isn't. (Oh wait, we did call him on his "Bush doesn't care about black people" comment.)

So you are right in that people should be more critical of the mainstream rap and hiphop artists that preach hate. I wouldn't claim they're the same, however. I think blacks have suffered (and continue to suffer) hardships that these stupid little girls and their parents can't possibly imagine. Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that minorities living in poverty need to step it up if they want to see changes, instead of continually blaming "the Man." But for these White Nationalists to preach so much paranoia when it is white people (specifically men, which goes nicely with their traditional beliefs) who are in power, and will probably remain in power for some time to come... it's just uncalled for in every way imaginable. At least those black rappers who grew up in the ghetto have somewhat of a difficult time, even if their rage is misdirected.

~M

Posts: 70 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw part of the 20/20 thing. <shudder>
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just sad. And honestly, what scares me more is that most of the people in their community--the girls' schoolmates, at least--seem to support them. Jeez . . . less and less lone whackos and more and more whole groups . . .
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:
This is just sad. And honestly, what scares me more is that most of the people in their community--the girls' schoolmates, at least--seem to support them. Jeez . . . less and less lone whackos and more and more whole groups . . .

And worse of all they all congragate together, patting each other on the back. Confirming each others distorted point of view.
Very depressing for me as I do not wish to be shot at by teenage girls. Like being stabbed to death by a kitten...

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And in any case, most home-schoolers don't do it in order to brainwash their kids into non-mainstream ideas.
I don't know about that's true, and I'm not a fan of mainstream ideas or homeschool.

With respect to these girls, it shouldn't be that surprising. I don't feel powerfully any way. Let them do their thing and hope nobody gets hurt.

I agree with Kayne West's comments regarding Bush and black people, but it's not as if Bush is indifferent to black people exclusively, rather, I think he is just kind of indifferent to people he doesn't know or can't relate with, which includes a large gamut and black people are a subset of that group. And in his defense, the needs of texas oil millionaires aren't too high on my priorities either, so it's not as if I'm much better.

[ October 23, 2005, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ifmyheartcouldbeat
Member # 8692

- posted      Profile for ifmyheartcouldbeat   Email ifmyheartcouldbeat         Edit/Delete Post 
im not so much shocked that these girls believe what they do. I am disgusted..but not shocked. There are plenty of people out their that feel their race is "superior" over others. What shocks me most though is even if the girls/family believe that they are better....how can they trapse about ostentaciously flaring those shirts...That made me sick to my stomach seeing that. Its one thing to be ignorant about classes and superiority...its another to blatently wear something that could seriously offend...ooo say...everyone??

sigh

its amazing what parents can do to their children...

Posts: 82 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

I always find it funny that Hitler in no way corresponded to this Superior Race ideal that he and these white supremacists push, but he's still a hero to them.

Funny in a rather morbid, not funny way, of course.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
So you are right in that people should be more critical of the mainstream rap and hiphop artists that preach hate. I wouldn't claim they're the same, however. I think blacks have suffered (and continue to suffer) hardships that these stupid little girls and their parents can't possibly imagine. Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that minorities living in poverty need to step it up if they want to see changes, instead of continually blaming "the Man." But for these White Nationalists to preach so much paranoia when it is white people (specifically men, which goes nicely with their traditional beliefs) who are in power, and will probably remain in power for some time to come... it's just uncalled for in every way imaginable. At least those black rappers who grew up in the ghetto have somewhat of a difficult time, even if their rage is misdirected.
My point (I think) is that NO racial slurs are ever more justified than others: no amount of historical or modern inequity merits the use of slurs, in either direction. This is why it bothers me so much that some are censored and considered so much more vulgar and taboo than others: to me, a slur is a slur, and if you use one, you're a bigot, regardless of what reasoning and justification you think you may have. Bigotry is wrong, regardless of what "justification" someone may feel they have. I therefore feel that it makes no sense to come down so hard on these kids, when their crimes are no greater (in my eyes) than the crimes perpetrated daily by rap, hip hop, and black american comedy.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Actually, it's still a bit different though... It's not as simple as this person is a bigot. Suppose you are someone who is gay that uses the word "queer?" Are you doing this out of self hatred, or to take back this phrase from those that use it against you?
It's not that simple... and it's made more disturbing by the fact that it's children singing things like this and not grown people who have whatever motive (usually money) for doing what they do.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And in any case, most home-schoolers don't do it in order to brainwash their kids into non-mainstream ideas.
In my experience, this assertion is, at the very least, questionable.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
In your experience.

Most people I know who homeschool do it because they are dissatisfied with the public schools available to them.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

Well... I object to the term brainwash. Educate, or instruct, would be more appropriate. I have no problem with teaching non-mainstream ideas, and yes, many homeschoolers do it to shield their children from objectionable ideas that are the mainstream in the school system.

However, non-mainstream usually does not equal hateful, bigoted and violent. Therein lies the difference.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I'd want to homeschool if I had kids... School can be a jungle sometimes.
But, I doubt I'd teach them how to be racist biggest. I'd probably make them all have gardens and listen to Japanese music in between reading Wrinkle in Time for the thousandth time.

dh
Member # 6929

Wrinkle In Time, eh? I haven't read that one yet. It's one of my mom's favourite books.

But I digress.

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most people I know who homeschool do it because they are dissatisfied with the public schools available to them.
What does that mean? Does it mean that they object to the values and the priorities practiced in their public schools. Ketchupqueen, like I said before, I'm not a big fan of mainstream ideas or homeschooling, but I think that this statement:

quote:
is suspect, to say the least.

quote:
Well... I object to the term brainwash. Educate, or instruct, would be more appropriate. I have no problem with teaching non-mainstream ideas, and yes, many homeschoolers do it to shield their children from objectionable ideas that are the mainstream in the school system.
That's a fascinating dress, Dh. Educate is from the Latin ducere which means to lead, e or ex, out. Education, properly understood, is the leading out of the soul's knowledge, not the imposition or indoctrination of anything. This is tricky work, and I understand-- even if I don't agree with-- parents wanting to do this without the public schools influence.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I am scandalized. That book is a classic. But Wind in the Door and Swiftly Tilting Planet are better. I'd read those if I were not already reading 50 books.
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever something like this happens, why do people always assume it is spreading hatred?

I'm inclined to think that if a given message is clearly wrong, expressing it publicly only makes it more obvious how wrong it is. I would suspect these girls make more people aware of the dangers of racism than they actually convert people to racist beliefs.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Actually, it's still a bit different though... It's not as simple as this person is a bigot. Suppose you are someone who is gay that uses the word "queer?" Are you doing this out of self hatred, or to take back this phrase from those that use it against you?
Groups using slurs directed at themselves are an entirely different story, but the inequities are still there. Example: homosexuals object vigorously to the use of the word "gay" as a pejorative (e.g. "Oh man, that movie was so gay" where "gay" is intended to mean "bad" or similar). They seem to forget that homosexual wasn't the original use of the word, and that it is no more "their" word than it is anyone else's. The same is true for black people and the word "n****r" and feminists and the word "c*nt": while I understand the reasoning and satisfaction in turning a pejorative into a badge of pride, all it does is encourage further use of the word, and it's silly to claim that any word is "your" word, and that it's only inoffensive coming from certain people.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Makes sense... The word "gay" used like that tends to annoy me, but I like the word Queer as it can describe all sorts of difference and deviance...
Still, it does make sense, as a matter of respect not to use phrases like the n word if you are not black. I refuse to use that word myself. It is an ugly word. I have never liked it.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I used non-mainstream because I thought someone might pick on me if I said "crazy". I should have said "crazy". [Roll Eyes]
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Irami Osei-Frimpong:
That's a fascinating dress, Dh. Educate is from the Latin ducere which means to lead, e or ex, out. Education, properly understood, is the leading out of the soul's knowledge, not the imposition or indoctrination of anything. This is tricky work, and I understand-- even if I don't agree with-- parents wanting to do this without the public schools influence.

(italics mine)

Indoctrination occurs in public schools, too. Recycling is unconditionally good! Global warming! Sex! Just because you happen to agree with the agenda, doesn't mean it isn't there.

And, to top it all off, most public schools do a really poor job teaching. They are so caught up in regulating the teachers, that the teachers have little chance to actually teach.

Indoctrination and little education in the public schools: that's why I will be homeschooling.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Educate is from the Latin ducere which means to lead, e or ex, out. Education, properly understood, is the leading out of the soul's knowledge, not the imposition or indoctrination of anything.
It doesn't really matter what the Latin meant. The English word educate is commonly used to mean things that could also be called indoctrination.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.