FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is anyone else tired...

Author Topic: Is anyone else tired...
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Of the seemingly endless debates?

Can we agree to disagree and have a national day of peace, or something? I'm getting tired of all the arguing I hear all the time.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to tell everyone here I love you, no matter how different you are from me. You rock!

[Group Hug]

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just plain tired. *yawn* [Big Grin]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
No!

If we do away with debate, hatrack, and the world will both be boring.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
No.

Go away.

[Wink]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind meaningful debate. But what you are tired of isn't debating, it's shouting matches in which neither side ever listens to each other, they just yell and yell and yell until they feel they've made their point, and move on to find something else to yell about.

Yes I am sick of all the shouting. But I'll never tire of meaningful, useful, open dialogue, heated though it may be.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I don't mind meaningful debate. But what you are tired of isn't debating, it's shouting matches in which neither side ever listens to each other, they just yell and yell and yell until they feel they've made their point, and move on to find something else to yell about.

Yes I am sick of all the shouting. But I'll never tire of meaningful, useful, open dialogue, heated though it may be.

/agree
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
*stabs fugu in the eye*
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
SS-it's people like you who make it so in parli debate it's against the rules for us to bring a pen to the podium!

Debates make me happy and energized! The more the merrier! And they're a bonding experience!

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

*Bonds with Toretha*
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Now you've done it. I've got the "I'm Tired" song from "Blazing Saddles" stuck in my head.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
What, you don't like forums where two or three people screech at each other until everyone else abandons the thread, and then the remaining people act as though everyone else agrees with them? [Wink]

There are certainly issues worth fighting for. But given that we are an internet discussion forum and not, say, the House of Representatives or House of Commons or the U.N., a willingness to state our best case, respect the other guy's best case, and back off would probably not be the worst idea.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I love watching the House of Commons on C-SPAN.

It's like a verbal version of the WWF

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Usually I'd have something important to say on the matter. But the intial question reminded me of how tired I really am. And it makes me mad that I haven't been getting sleep. Stupid Marching Band!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Hey! Watch it Steve.

I am loathe to ever hear anyone insult Marching Band in my presence!!!

Do you march competitively? What instrument do you play? What's the music for your show if you have one?

kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
*perks up*

Who's dissing marching band?

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

SteveRogers! ::points at Steve wildly::
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm mainly just tired of people giving up on debates, as if The Answer should either be determinable in a couple pages of HTML or given up as hopeless. If it were all that easy, all the answers would have already been figured out - and life would be dull.

In fact, knowledge seems far less enlightening than the search for knowledge. I don't think wise people are wise because they know answers - they are wise because they ask lots of questions. I know plenty of people with answers, and they aren't usually all that impressive. But people who ask questions and never give up the debate - I admire them.

For this reason, it is disheartening whenever someone "agrees to disagree".

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But what you are tired of isn't debating, it's shouting matches in which neither side ever listens to each other, they just yell and yell and yell until they feel they've made their point, and move on to find something else to yell about.
I've got this great "mute" button on my keyboard, plus there's a "Go" icon at the bottom of the forum. Between these two buttons, I get to pick and choose my dramas.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree, Tres.

But that's okay.

*throws flowers*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

For this reason, it is disheartening whenever someone "agrees to disagree".

*stabs Tresopax in the eye*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.