FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Weird commercial I haven't seen

Author Topic: Weird commercial I haven't seen
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen a VW commercial with a terrorist in it? My friend in Iraq described it to me as seriously non-PC depiction of a car bomb going off and the car surviving...

Apparently it's pretty graphic and, I suppose, in a certain frame of mind, very funny.

It got me thinking about why such ads aren't shown in some countries (like the US) if they are pretty much "okay" in Europe (I gather this one is showing in Germany -- if the reports are to be believed).

Sorry, no link to it. I haven't seen it.

Anyway, what do you think the reaction would be if such an ad did show up in the US?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this ad (in which a suicide bomber sets off a bomb in a VW and the car remains intact) was NOT made by VW. It was a spoof found on the internet IIRC. I do not believe it was ever aired on television in any country.
Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a link to that on a thread here awhile ago. It's....weird. I thought it was funny for about 20 seconds then thought it was just wrong.

It's basically an ad for VW, I think the Jetta, showing off how tough the little car is. A terrorist pulls up in front of a cafe and smiles as he pulls out the trigger for his bomb. Then the camera pulls back and you see a smoke cloud and hear a poof inside the car, but there is no damage.

I think it's mildly funny in retrospect. It isn't specifically attacking anyone (well, except Palestinians), and I'd guess that anyone who has ever had a family member killed in a suicide bombing might not get a kick out of it.

It has a certain morbid humor to it.

[ October 24, 2005, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
My bad, it was for the Volkswagon Polo.

Here it is on Snopes.

It wasn't made by Volkswagen, it was by someone else, who VW sued.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.