FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Punkin Seeds

Author Topic: Punkin Seeds
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
After a fun-filled evening of carving jack-o-lanterns, I find myself in possession of hundredsof seeds. I remember someone at church making really good roasted pumpkin seeds, but I don't remember how she did it. Has anyone ever made pumpkin seeds, and if so, care to share your favorite method?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I know! I know!

Rinse the seeds well. Get the goop off. Now soak in salt water brine for about 10 minutes. Drain. Pour oil in (I use grapeseed oil; nothing too strong tasting like peanut or olive, and make sure it doesn't scorch really easily.) Toss. Salt or season as desired. Place on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F, turning once or twice in the process and checking frequently, until just starting to turn golden. Remove from oven-- don't overcook! They'll crisp up while cooling.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite method is to chuck the pumpkin seeds into the backyard, go to Walgreens, and pick up a bag of pumpkin seeds. I find it the easiest way.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz] @ Icky.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Those do not taste nearly the same.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
And they don't count as part of October's homework projects, either . . . *sigh*

I think I'm longing for the good 'ole days of 4th grade homework. Read for 20 minutes, study math facts for five minutes, and study the monthly map test for five minutes . . .

So far this year I have remembered fun things like how to explain the difference between multiplication and exponents, help research Sir Walter Raleigh, catch bugs, collect and press leaves, punch holes in cans, and all sorts of other things . . .

Phew! 5th grade is busy!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was little, I LOVED home roasted pumpkin seeds for several years. Then we lost the recipe. We've tried since then, several times. Always came out awful and it was so disappointing. I figured maybe I just grew up too much to like them anymore.

But kq's recipe sounds about right. Maybe the recipe was what was missing.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this recipe for Caramelized Pumpkin Seeds on the Food Network. I really want to try them!
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan that sounds like what my fourth grade was, we did all those things (I didn't kill bugs but that was a moral thing of my own)

KQ, I've done that recipe, but I still can't make them taste like my grandma used to, I think I try bad spices, what do you use?

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Usually just salt for me. But I've used cajun seasoning and seasoned salt both to great effect. Other spices don't seem to turn out so swell for me, either.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
My mom always told me I needed to dry them after rinsing them. I'm not sure that makes any difference, but that's the way I've always done it and damn! they taste good. I have always used veggie oil and LOTS of salt (added before, during and after baking).

WARNING: Eating too many pumpkin seeds causes severe cramping. [Frown] I relearn this lesson every year.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I do usually blot them after draining them. But I've never had much problem if they're a bit damp if I use a brine.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

They turned out okay--I pretty much followed kq's method except I added some red pepper and garlic powder. They taste great, but they seemed a bit tougher than normal. I wonder if I cooked them right.
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm, pumpkin seeds, mmmm.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I realize that this may gross some people out. They not only taste good, they're good for you.

quote:
Pumpkin seeds - Traditionally, pumpkin seeds (Curcubita pepo) have been used as a herbal remedy for tapeworms and roundworms. They have been shown to immobilize and help expel intestinal worms and other parasites. In order to be effective, great amounts would have to be eaten, up to 25 ounces for adults. The seeds are usually mashed and mixed with juice. Two or three hours after consuming the pumpkin seeds, a laxative is often recommended to help clear the bowels.

[ October 25, 2005, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Tammy ]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Now, why would you need a laxative after eating that many pumpkin seeds?
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't. [Wink]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

maybe it's more for the tapeworms/roundworms? [Dont Know]
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
Shan that sounds like what my fourth grade was, we did all those things (I didn't kill bugs but that was a moral thing of my own)

KQ, I've done that recipe, but I still can't make them taste like my grandma used to, I think I try bad spices, what do you use?

Just a quick spice hint. Date your spices when you purchase them, you shouldn't keep a spice more than six months or they begin to lose potency. (I know, I know, spices are expensive. I've got several that are due to be replaced.) [Frown]
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've burned mine the past two years by forgetting about them in the oven. This year I put them in the oven turned off after baking my pumpkin and promptly forgot about them again until the next day. They were perfect! Yum!

I've never used oil, though. Just tons and tons of salt and maybe some garlic powder.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
Just a quick spice hint. Date your spices when you purchase them, you shouldn't keep a spice more than six months or they begin to lose potency. (I know, I know, spices are expensive. I've got several that are due to be replaced.) [Frown]

This is especially true if you're in a humid environment or have lots of bugs where you live. And no, I'm not referring to the state of cleanliness in your kitchen. [Smile]

Our chili powder goes bad if it's not used up in a month. Curry powder can last 2 months, same as pepper. Bugs get into things and eat them and . . . well, it's just gross. But here, bugs get into everything.

And salt clumps. [Mad]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I do usually blot them after draining them.

How on earth do you manage that? I just roasted some pumpkin seeds for the first time, and when I tried to blot them they stuck to the paper towel and wouldn't come off.

Now, do you eat the entire seed or do you hull them like sunflower seeds?

I just remember never liking them when my mom made them, but I'm willing to give it another go, especially since I'd be wasting them otherwise. I don't think my mom did anything involving brine or oil, so maybe I'll like them now.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

when I tried to blot them they stuck to the paper towel and wouldn't come off

Towels also come in non-paper formats. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, so then I would have slimy pumpkin seeds sticking to my cloth towels and picking up lint.

No thanks [Razz]

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, don't linen towels not leave lint?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

I was able to do it with a few paper towels, I just had to pick them off afterwards. A bit laborious, but at least they were dry.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Um, don't linen towels not leave lint?

I don't know. I don't own any linen, as it is rather expensive.

I do have sackcloth towels, which aren't as linty as terry cloth, but they are huge. I may try them next time, since paper towels didn't work that well, but it seemed a bit silly to get out a huge towel to blot half a cup of pumpkin seeds.

At least they turned out good: nice and crispy. I was able to eat about a quarter of a cup before my stomach started complaining. I'll take the rest with me to the zoo today to share with my sister-in-law.

--Mel

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

Bumping because this recipe was good.

--Mel

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of just soaking the seeds in salt water, I find it good to boil them first for about 10 minutes, then dry them, and follow the rest of the instructions already listed...
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.