FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Might lose my home...

Author Topic: Might lose my home...
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little upset... looks like I'm not going to have enough money to keep my home. Mom had taken out a HUGE balloon mortgage before she died. I could keep it by using all the life insurance money, but then I'd have nothing left over for investing or living.... and I have a sucky job right now. I don't think I'd be able to keep up on all the bills... and my brother thinks of the house as dead weight so he wants out... I seriously doubt I can do this by myself.
[Frown]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks. [Frown]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Telp)))
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the house more than you need? The market is still pretty good (in many areas). Depending on your mortgage, you might be able to sell and come away with enough to make a down payment on something smaller, or maybe even a condo or something.

It sucks to have to move, and I feel for you. Just trying to look on a possible bright side. [Smile]

(((Telp)))
~~~Telp~~~

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I like KarlEd's outlook on this one. This could be a really good thing for you, depending on your situation.

But I imagine it is hard to let go of the house with all the memories.

I've been thinking of you, lately, Telp.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
((Telp))
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Telp))) [Frown]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you refinance before the balloon comes due?
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, Telp.

The only advice I can offer is to second looking into refinancing, but, if you can't (or if it takes up a ridiculous amount of your income), then to get out on your terms, not the bank's.

That means selling it well before the balloon is due. Your cost basis in the house is likely the day you inherited it, so taxes should be minimal.

I'm sorry you can't keep your house. [Frown]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry you might lose your house, Telperion.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry too. [Frown] I do agree that your brother has a point. Spending time, energy to keep up a house you don't need for one or two single guys will remain a stressor in your life until you sell it.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry that you can't keep your mom's home. [Frown] As much as she loves you, I don't think she'd want for something of hers to be such a burden for you and your brother. Sometimes things that seem really upsetting turn out to good ends (like my recent car accident). I hope you find a great end. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Telp, with the market the way it is right now, selling immediately might be the best way to go.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
Or renting. Being a landlord is a pain, but if you want to hang onto the house, can't afford to pay for it yourself, and can find a good property management company or a decently priced lawyer to draw up the lease, this is another option. In any case, if you do keep it, you'll probably want to refinance rather than pay the balloon payment, and do it soon before interest rates go up.
Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Renting won't help with the balloon payment, unless he can refinance first, though.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Sorry Telp. I don't have any suggestions to add to what's above.
Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I was told that it's not good to sell right now because the market is crap in the winter. Wait till spring.

I was really upset earlier... had a meeting with our finacial advisor and ended up almost crying through half of it. I've been spending all past week talking to banks and mortgage people to see how much I can get.

Part of the thing is that I really took ownership of this place the past few years. Mom was still devestated from the divorce and had a bunch of medical issues so I'd do most of the chores and cleaning and stuff. And when she died this summer I was the one to transfer all the bills to my name. I don't think my brother has thought of this place as home for some time...so he doesn't really chip in on food or cleaning. So I've been the one doing that. Which is fine. It's my home.

But it's more than that because it's also my childhood home. But for five years, I've lived here my whole life. There are layers and layers of memories in each corner. I really hate that it won't be mine anymore. [Frown]

Anyway... I think I'm over the first shock and depression... and I'm trying to see what I can do. I was afraid I'd be living in a box or something. But I guess I can get a local condo for $50k. I guess I can move anywhere I want to after this... but it's tempting just to stay here in Detroit because I know where everything is and know everybody. But I guess that's part of the reason to move out... like going off to college for the first time. Scary as hell but so worth it in the long run.

Part of it is... I don't want things to pass... especially if they were important to me. I want there to be suffering and pain to prove that this was important. To just move on feels like a total betrayle to what went before.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
It probably sounds as a real cliche, but what's important don't pass in your heart, and that's the important place, Telp.
Extra hugs for you.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
((((I'm sorry))))
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp, if moving to the Baltimore/PA/DC area is remotely in your interest, email me. Address is in my profile.

Karl

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp, when you spoke of using the insurance money to pay it off, did you mean paying off the house or paying off the balloon payment?

If you could pay off the house, I would suggest doing it. The property itself is an investment and real estate has a good track record.

If it is just in making the balloon payment, I might still suggest doing that. You could recoup the money by selling at a later date just the same. Of course it all depends on how big the balloon payment is.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Thanks everyone for your sympathy.
[Group Hug]
Yeah, as a friend of mine said, home has to be in yourself, not in a place you live. (I think the Jerusalem problem could be solved with that thinking)
As for paying off stuff... the Trust that my Mom and Dad set up when we were young has to pay off the balloon mortgage, $91k, and I have to buy the house from the Trust at fair market value, $170k.
Thanks for the offer Karl. [Smile] I have another meeting with my finacial advisor and his mortgage buddy in about 7 hours... I'll let you all know what comes of that.

Peace.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's not necessarily over yet. Talk to several people about refinancing, and about selling before the balloon payment is due. Someone smarter than me with all the info can figure out a solution. That I feel sure off.

Good luck.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I avoided opening this thread because it sounded so sad. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this Telp. I know it won't help with the bulk of the money, but could you bring in someone as a border to defer some of the costs in the meantime? A student maybe?
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Yeah, the only way to make this work at all is to have at least two roomates. While my brother doesn't want to have ownership he might want to rent... then I'd just need one more roomate.
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I still live in my childhood home. I don't know if I could ever see it leaving the family.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Well.. had my meeting with my advisor and his mortgage buddy. Went well. I think they have a good deal for me, considering I'm a poor boy.

So looks like it'll be about 40k down and $750 a month... so I can do it if I have two roomates.

I'm more of a right mind about it now... what happens happens I guess... If I keep it that's great... but if I'm forced to sell I can go back to college all the more easier.

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:

I was told that it's not good to sell right now because the market is crap in the winter. Wait till spring.

As for paying off stuff... the Trust that my Mom and Dad set up when we were young has to pay off the balloon mortgage, $91k, and I have to buy the house from the Trust at fair market value, $170k.

It's very true that the market can be better in the spring, both for renting and selling. When I did surveying, it was very dead in the winter, very few sales. Mostly refinances. The same thing goes for leasing apartments. Something in the human psyche says to hunker down for the winter. I suspect that that effect is worse in Detroit, with it's colder winters. You might be well advised to wait until the spring to sell...HOWEVER, your balloon payment is the important issue now. That might tilt towards an earlier sale, if you can get a satisfactory price. A refinance would push these decisions down the road, but with the trust involvement, I dunno...

Hmmm. Do the trustee(s) have any options? Have you talked or negotiated with them?
That could be another avenue, although it sounds like the trust was spelled out in detail.

Also, perhaps you could rent from the trust?? For a period, till you make up your mind. Or some other unorthodox solution.
How's the Detroit real estate market? Is now a good time to get out?

I know it's hard to let go of a family house. Several years ago my grandmother sold the house that was the "family home", as my mother moved several times while I was growing up. I still cherish a dream of buying it back someday.

Telp, I hope things work out for the best for you and your brother. [Smile]
Ask yourself if you need roots like your namesake, or would be better off letting go...

[ October 27, 2005, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.