FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The waiting is the hardest part

Author Topic: The waiting is the hardest part
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Liam hurt his leg a little at his party. A slight scrape, perhaps a bit of a twist, but he was fine. Over the next couple of days, he began to complain more and more of it hurting.

Last night he limped into bed with us, and limped down the stairs refusing to bend his knee. Whe we examined it and bent it for him, he cried. *wince*

Now, Liam is my stoic. he's a real mensch, usually. We thougt he might just be angling for a day home from school, but he cried real tears, and begged us not to mess with it. Plus, when I put him on the couch, he stayed there. [Eek!]

Took him to see his pediatrician. He wasn't certain, but said it could be a couple of things. A viral infection in the fliud in his joint (possibly the hip joint, since that often results in knee pain), which isn't bad and clears up with rest. Or, the beginnings of an infection in his bone, which can sometimes happen after a minor injury. He said he needed blood work, but his office's lab would take three days, and if it was a bone infection, we couldn't wait three days. He said I could go to an urgent care place, but that they might send him to the ER at the childrens' hospiital anyway.

So, he called ahead to Scottish Rite, to tell them we were coming. Seems he's had three kids with bone infections secondary to minor leg injuries through his office this month, and better safe than sorry, etc. etc.

Had to carry him into the office, but he sort of limped out, putting little weight on the leg and not moving it. Couldn't find mapquest directions, but my husband found them. We were all going to go, but there was a chance we wouldn't be back in time to get Robert after school.

Ron is better able to carry my 65 lb six-year-old than I am, so he went, I stayed. They just called from triage. It will probably be hours before we know anything. If it turns out to be a bone infection, the only treatment is a few days of IV antibiotics, which means a hospital stay.

I want to pull my freaking hair out. I can't stand not knowing. I mean, I believe he'll be okay, either way, but that doesn't help. *grinds teeth*

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't pull your hair out, it will only make your scalp bleed.

Instead, take a deep breath and resign yourself to the fact that you will know what's going on when it's time to know. No amount of worrying or stressing out will make the triage move faster or the test results come back quicker.

I understand that the waiting is hard, and I'm truly sorry that you're having to deal with this.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this thread would be about your landmark, becacuse that's how we feel.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! I've never heard of such a thing. I hope Liam gets better quickly. Good luck.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(((hugs))) Oh, poor Livvy! And poor Liam!!!

Lots of prayers and hugs for him. And you.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Thanks, guys. You know what's funny? I keep telling myself he was just faking to get out of school. But then I get mad, because it's going to be very expensive for us, and we really don't have it right now. I'm still paying off my cataract surgery.

But we can't ignore it and hope for the best, because if it IS a bone infection, he could lose his leg or even die without prompt treatment.

Everything in my head is irrational when I think of this. So I think I may just visit some fluff threads...

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
*Thinking good thoughts for Liam*

Sounds like a bone infection wouldn't be pleasant, but also that it won't cause any permanent sort of injury. (edit: if he gets treated, I mean) And I'm sure Liam will be able to get through a hospital stay. He sounds like a pretty resilient kid.

If he does stay in the hospital, can I send him a get-well card with some of his favorite artistic words?

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivia, I met Liam.

If he stayed on the couch I sincerely doubt that he's faking.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Liam))) (((Olivia)))
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Shigosei- *snort* I'll let you know [Wink] If they keep him, you'll all know about it , believe me.

Yeah, ketchup. I know. My little wid man.

Did I show you the card a girl made him for his birthday? I scanned it because it was so sweetly hilarious...

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No, I don't think so. I'd love to see it. [Smile]
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, get Lauren to make him a get well card, too! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Okay [Smile] Here's the front of the card. Note that the first word is "LOVE". Lauren is wearing high heels, and Liam appears to be holding a flower, or possibly an axe to cut the huge flower for her. He's definitely holding something, though. I think the "Happy Birthday" was written by her mom, Ginny. Ginny says that she tells everyone in the family that she's going to marry Liam.

Lauren is almost a year younger than him, and very petite. They ride the same bus and are in the same kindergarten class.

Here's the middle of the card. Here, the happy couple is depicted in more casual attire. Thye seem to have ahouse on wheels and lots of baloons on strings. And, either a car or a baby carriage. Big, toothy smiles, though.

There is the back. More of same, though I think that may be her in the Minnie Mouse Costume she wore to his party,

Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say watch out for that one, but Lauren is absolutely adorable. And polite, too (at least when I was helping her with her shoes).
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

She IS very polite, and we love her family (her mom, at least). Though there are lots of girls who seem to have designs on him.

Ron just called. Liam was brave when they drew his blood. It could be a few hours before they get the X-rays done and hear about the blood tests.

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Olivet and family)))
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you do, don't go to an ER a few blocks from the Coke Museum, that was a bad day.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

They sent him to Scottish Rite Children's Hospital, which is near Northside, I think.

I wonder if I could pick Robert up from tutoring and just go down there.

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no-- I hope you have an answer soon. Quick recovery, Liam!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That card is ADORABLE.
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivet.... that is the sweetest, most adorable card I've ever seen. Hallmark has nothing on her. In fact, they could learn a thing or two.

I hope things go well for Liam. I am glad he's got his dad with him, but I am sure he wishes his mommy was there, too. Maybe even his brother. [Wink]

{{{Liam, the brave}}} and {{{Olivet}}}

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

So, I was picking Robert up when Ron called. Liams X rays and bloodwork were clear, but they said that these infections cann cause symptoms before they are detectable by X ray or blood test, so we still have to watch him. Motrin for inflamation, and if he doesn't stopp limping soon, back to an orthopedist.

So, hopefully, he'll get better and that will be the end of it.

*hugs*

Thank you all for helping getthrough this. It drove me nuts not being able to be there with him. [Frown] But I got to help Robert through a pile of homework that he was upset about, so... It's all good. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(((hugs))) Yay! I'm glad it's not the worst case scenario. I'm sure it was just inflammation; I actually get that quite often. Is he prone to popping ankles out of joint? I am, and so is my whole family, and my sister and I have both been known to "pop" a knee occasionally. It gets very sore and swollen until it kind of spontaneously pops back, when there is instantaneous relief followed by a day or two of healing sore pulled muscles, then back to normal. (My brother has a shoulder that is prone to popping out of joint. Add to this the fact that he was a rowdy little boy, and my brother's doctors got a few calls from DCFS before he was 5.)
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Are they thinking transient synovitis of the hip? It's relatively common in kids, although you always want to rule out the more serious stuff.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I think they ruled out hip involvement early on, because of how it hurt when the hip was rotatedoutward instead of inward. Or something. My brain is fried. They did say he must follow-up with his doctor in three days, and see an orthopedist if the limp persists for more than a week or so. They said it could indicate some sort of disease.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I don't think that was the hospital Hattie went to, it was right by the coke museum. We were on an orchestra trip to Atlanta, our first stop was Stone Mountain, and one of the girls tripped and broke her leg. They took her down the mountain, and put her right on our bus, then we drove to the hospital on the way to the next stop, the coke museum. She got there at noon and wasn't looked at till 11 pm, where they just gave her a splint, and a walking cast and told her to be more careful. They'd had her sitting in the hall on the floor, and wouldn't let our chaperone sign anything for her (she was only 16), she couldn't even get a hold of her parents. Several times she saw gunshot victims get wheeled through (at least the chaperone did, Hattie took a migraine pill she had with her and doesn't remember most of it).
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad that this stage of things is over, but sorry there wasn't a resolution that didn't involve more waiting :/ Hopefully he will indeed get better quickly [Smile]
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Well, he said it was all better today. As in, not hurting him at all. He's my little stoic, but I think we're in the clear.

Breyerchic... sound like maybe Grady, the hospital where, if you are not stabbed or gunshot, you really aren't a priority. Seriously, they get the bulk of major traumas in the area. A local might have been able to direct the group to a better location for her, but... who knows.

firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
So glad to hear your stoic brave is back to himself.
I loved the card. Thank you so much for sharing with us!

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yeah that might have been it, I know that the people at Stone Mountain suggested somewhere, but it was absolutely the opposite direction we were going, so we were going to ask at the Coke museum when we passed one on the way.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.