FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Book Rec, Kitty and the Midnight Hour

Author Topic: Book Rec, Kitty and the Midnight Hour
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Warner wanted to go after the Laurel K. Hamilton market (minus the excess smut), but what they got was Carrie Vaughn. A wickedly talented writer who has a very twisted (in a good way) mind and mixes humor, horror, and fast paced, tight plotting well in her new book Kitty and the Midnight Hour

The author also has other "Kitty" stories linked on her website, so you can preview and see if its your thing. You'll also see some of her other fiction, which has been published in Realms, Talebones, Weird Tales, and the like. As much as I liked her Kitty book (and I've heard part of its sequel, which will be out in the spring and is also good) my ulterior motive here is to get enough people to buy it so that she can start publishing other work as well.

Kitty is a great read, but as far as Carrie Vaughn's talent is concerned, it is just the tip of the iceburg.

[ October 25, 2005, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: OlavMah ]

Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Done and done.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I like books that feel like books and movies that feel like movies, and that first chapter was a bit of a mixed bag, just a little too kitch to make me feel comfortable (this could be my aversion to first person narratives showing). That said, I get the feeling that any screenplay she wrote would make an immensely enjoyable movie.

Man, maybe I'm just no fun. I did read her bio and I like her sass.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

I think I know what you mean, although I think the movie would be real hard to film. Much of the action would involve Kitty talking into a headset or microphone.... Now, where did you read the first chapter? I don't see a link anywhere.

It does have very clean, unelaborate prose, and it does play to the Buffy market niche. *I* think it's different enough to not be derivative, but that's just my opinion. Mack, I hope you love it!

[ October 25, 2005, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: OlavMah ]

Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, she went to my university (on exchange, but still). Might just check that book out...
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the short concerning Kitty and Bounty Hunter. She has a sharp, nimble mind, and I appreciate that, especially when I watch TV or a movie, but a book requires from me, to be compelling, a different quality.

Now, I don't read popcorn books, but a whole heck of a lot of people do, so I'm just not her audience. I read the Da Vinci Code, and thought it would make a fine movie, but waste of a book. The book sold a zillion copies, and to my ear and sensibilities, Carrie has a better ear for pacing.

About filming the Bounty Hunter Story, I think you are engaging in a little bit of fiction when you say that it would be hard to film. It's practically written as a screenplay. You can fill in the background by decorating the set with pictures and memorabilia.

[ October 26, 2005, 02:30 AM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm smack dab in the middle of the Buffy niche, and I really enjoyed the story.

*sighs*

I'm so predictable.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

Yeah, okay, the bounty hunter story would translate to film well. Vaughn reprises it in the novel, but it is not the first chapter. The novel starts about a day before the radio show comes into being.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Got it today. I love the smell of new books. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlavMah
Member # 756

Carrie Vaughn was sniffing her ARC at a con this last week. She kept saying, "It even *smells* like a book!"

Amazon has only four copies left as of this morning, and the "official" release date isn't until next Tuesday.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.