FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Only In Texas - Gay Marriage Ammendment snafu?

Author Topic: Only In Texas - Gay Marriage Ammendment snafu?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the actual text of the ammendment although a friend added the caps. Dagonee? What does it say literally?

quote:
Article I (The Bill of Rights), Texas Constitution, would be amended to read as follows:
Sec. 32. (a) MARRIAGE in this state shall consist ONLY OF THE UNION OF ONE MAN AND ONE WOMAN.

(b) THIS STATE or a political subdivision of this state MAY NOT create or RECOGNIZE ANY LEGAL STATUS IDENTICAL or similar TO MARRIAGE.

Here's one source.
http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/default.asp?ArID=148237

http://www.fortbendnow.com/opinion/316/proposition-2-could-outlaw-all-marriage

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading the explanation online (since I have to vote on this fairly soon), it looks to me like the first part is saying marriage is between a man and a woman only (in regards to Texas) and Texas won't create or recognize (from other states I'd assume) anything that has a similar legal status as marriage (I'd assume a civil union or something). At least that's what I got out of it.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

</frustration>

And that's all I'm sayin'.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the 'similar to' part will hold up.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
pfresh -- it's even more amusing. But on the off-chance that you'd vote for it, I'll stay silent. Because I would LOVE to see the people who voted for it forced to abide by what would appear to be the literal consequences, even though I don't think for a moment it would happen. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Care to explain more, Tom? Just curious.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like it's making all marriage illegal.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a literal reading of the text would seem to imply that it would outlaw marriage in the state of Texas. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
So enlighten us with these “obvious” consequences
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

That's how it read it at first, Tom, but I think rereading it makes me think that's not the case.
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's certainly not the intended case, but it is the literal case.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Taken literally, it would abolish all marriage, or anything similar to marriage, in Texas. Of course it also defines marriage as being between a man and a woman, so that would mean gay unions would be fine and dandy [ROFL] .

(it fails to specify homosexual marriage in part 2)

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, I don't know who you are quoting with the word "obvious". It doesn't appear to be anybody in this thread.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Definition of union (in this case)

marriage; the state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce

To be married in Texas they require a union. But you can't have a union before marriage because it is the same thing. So is marriage no longer legal in Texas?

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

That's how it read it at first, Tom, but I think rereading it makes me think that's not the case.

No, it's the opposite. A literal reading of the text says the following:

1) Marriage is "A."
2) Texas may not recognize anything similar to "A."

The logical conclusion here -- lacking any other explanatory text -- is that Texas may not recognize marriage.

More astonishingly, since marriage is defined as a union between a man and a woman, and presumably unions between people of the same sex are not similar to marriages, Texas MAY recognize same-sex unions under this amendment.

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
The word "Identical" is what makes it obvious, after they have defined marriage as the union of one man and one woman, then said that anything similar or IDENTICAL to Marriage as defined...(presumably, something Identical to Marraige would be, erm, the union of one mand one woman) therefore, anything similar or identical to marriage will not be recognized.

Meaning this is very poorly written, if the intent was to make SSM illegal. If some lawmaker was looking for a an easy way out of his marriage, however...

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Quoting a comment from the second link I posted above.

quote:
1 Stephen Mercer - Oct 24, 06:16 pm I’d like to point out that the phrasing is worse that you’ve reported. Since the amendment so clearly defines marriage as between 1 man and 1 woman, and then bans recognition of marriage, a relationship between two men or two women would be perfectly legitimate, as there would be no law banning it. It would hinge on what one considers “similar.”
(Stephen Mercer happens to be friend of mine, that I suspect you would get along with rolickingly well, Tom.)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
It would almost be amusing if that passed.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Here are the actual iterations of the ammendment...

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/db2www/tlo/billhist/Hmatrix.d2w/report?LEG=79&SESS=R&CHAMBER=H&BILLTYPE=JR&BILLSUFFIX=00006

EricJamesStone
Member # 5938

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's poorly drafted for what it's trying to do, but would be even more poorly drafted if its intent were eliminating all recognition of marriage.

Generally, the phrase "identical to" is not used to compare something to itself; it is used to compare things that are exactly alike except for the fact that they are separate things. Therefore, if one intented to ban recognition of marriage, one would ban recognition of marriage, rather than ban recognition of something identical to marriage.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

quote:
i·den·ti·cal ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-dnt-kl)
adj.

1.Being the same: another orator who used the senator's identical words.

2.Exactly equal and alike.

3.Having such a close similarity or resemblance as to be essentially equal or interchangeable.

4.Biology. Of or relating to a twin or twins developed from the same fertilized ovum and having the same genetic makeup and closely similar appearance; monozygotic.

If something is "exactly equal and alike" or "the same" as a union of one man and one woman, then it would be banned, under that wording. Or, at least, the case could be made.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
And are you surprised that our president comes from this state? (Oh wait! What am I saying? So do I!)

What's scary is that this will likely pass if you listen to the predictions given out in the media lately.

I just can't figure out what all the hoopla is about anyway. I thought the constitution was a document that gave people rights; not one that took them away. Don't we have better things to do with our time, like win a war and bring our troops home, that the government could be focusing on instead? Just my two cents...

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I thought the "identical to" referred to the legal status and not the word itself. Meaning if something (let's call it Option2) had a legal status identical to marriage (meaning marriage and Option2 are legally identical but different terms), that Option2 would be banned. I don't claim to be a lawyer type person though. I can only read it and interpret it as I will.

EDIT: I think someone else already pointed out that identical to wouldn't be used to compare something to itself. I wouldn't say Bob is identical to Bob; I'd be more apt to say Bob is identical to his twin Rob. Or something similar.

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree it could have been worded better, but I never mistook it as a ban on marriage in general (not even for a moment as seems to be the common case here). If I say a house is identical or similar to my house, in no way am I implying that it is my house. Nor would I have thought anyone else would in a day-to-day situation.

And even if this unfortunate bill does pass, is still isn't as shocking as Prop 200.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
But Arch Warden, they didn't say--This is my house, that house is identical. They said, this is a house. Anything identical to this house needs to be torn down. That is why we are waiting for the wrecking ball to come in and tear his house down.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I don't think we actually thought that was what they intended to say, but I do think that is what they said.

I could define your marriage as I dentical to my marriage, but I wouldn't confused about who I was married to. It bans snything identical to a union between one man and one woman from being recognized as marriage, which is just ... a very poor mastery of the language.

It is a flaw in my character that I find poor language skills to be risible, but that doesn't stop me.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

To use your example though Dan_raven, why would the example house be torn down? To me, it'd be saying "Okay, this is the type of house. Tear down other houses of this type."
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Because Pfresh, they don't use the important word--"Other". They just say, "Tear down houses of this type" which includes the My House.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm just missing it. Even in your example there's a major distinction in my mind as to "this house" versus "any house identical or similar to this house". Maybe it's just my cynicism involving governments where I find the more specific something is written, the more loopholes there are in it.

Then again, this could be a personal bias in that I think any building that's identical to a previously built one should be torn down (actual buildings, not something using buildings as a metaphor).

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I think it goes back to the word identical then, Dan_raven. I don't use (and I don't know anyone that does) the word identical to make an object point back to itself. Yes, you can use identical (say "marriage is identical to marriage") and be logistically correct, but it's not how people use the word. I think most judges (if this is passed) will also get that.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I think its the overabundance of computer nerds and the few lawyers on this board.

All follow strict logic.

paint everything identical or similar to A a lovely shade of green.
is A identical or similar to A
yes.
pain A green.

and one thing about the Law, it tries to maintain a perfect logical consistancy within the boundries imposed on it.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

*nod* As pfresh points out, this amendment would make the availability of marriage in Texas subject to any individual judge's whim.
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

quote:
and one thing about the Law, it tries to maintain a perfect logical consistancy within the boundries imposed on it.
And this is why you can open a city newspaper on any given day and find an instance where it fails. It's a good system to be sure, but so far from perfect (something about human fallacies and cold, unflexible logic. I guess I'm becoming a [Religious] Humanist in my old age.)

But working in a profession where there is a major distinction between "Paint A" and "Identical or Similar to Paint A", there is still a very real difference there for me. Then again, I'm not a lawyer or judge, so legally (and therefore logically I suppose) my opinion doesn't much matter.

EDIT: To ammend what sort of Humanist.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of reminds me of the time that my county stopped issuing marriage licenses altogether to avoid discrimination. Of course, that was on purpose...
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I still am wondering what Dagonee has to say on the subject since he's probably got the most educated opinion.

AJ

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
psst: EJS is, or was at one time, a lawyer.

But he had an unfortunate accident involving garlic and a crucifix and has changed his wicked ways.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Whoops, missed that somewhere along the line. I apologize.

AJ

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.