FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Product reviews and experiences wanted for Melaleuca products.

Author Topic: Product reviews and experiences wanted for Melaleuca products.
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
When I went to see my grandma this weekend, I stayed with my cousin and his wife. They had this laundry detergent that got out all the stains on Boo's cloth daipers. They said it's an all-natural, safe product and that they buy it online and pay a membership fee. I tried to sign up online, but can't without a customer number. So I called the 800 number and "someone in your area" will be calling me within 3 days.

It sounded like they were going to try to sign me up to sell this stuff, which I'm not interested in. I just want some laundry soap!

Here's the company's website: http://www.melaleuca.com/

Anyone used it? Anyone here sell it? What's the deal? Is it a pyramid thing? Tell me everything you know!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's a pyramid thing, like Amway. Don't get involved - you'll spend more than you make, assuming you want to try to make anything. Stick to your guns, and just buy the soap. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

I'm dissappointed, but not surprised. The Mel-u-sol looks neat. I'll be trying it as my cousins gave me a sample bottle of it. We'll see how it does on the kitchen floor. I suspect I'll have to re-wax it afterward.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I have used their laundry detergent, bar soap, pump soap, lotion, melaleuca oil (aka tea tree oil), clothing stain remover, and Sol-u-Mel, which may be the stuff you were talking about--it's a disinfectant spray that I have used in place of bleach based products for, say, wiping down kitchen counters and stuff. All of it has been very high quality stuff, and all of it has been environmentally friendly. Also, all of it has been on the pricy side.

My ex-mother-in-law sells the stuff, which is why I'm so familiar with it. She used to be fairly active in the company, but never really made any money from it; all of the people she signed up "under her" just used the products themselves instead of going out and recruiting new drones.

I believe that there is a minimum amount you have to spend on Melaleuca products each month in order to "be a member", but they may have changed things, I don't know. In any case, it might not be a bad idea to sit down and figure out how much you already spend each month on the sorts of things they sell before the Melaleuca rep visits you, so that you can have an idea of the value of the deal you're being offered.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the products themselves are good.

But if you don't want to get into network marketing, then just buy the products (if that's what you want) and don't worry about the business side.

If you like network marketing - it is one of the better programs (comparatively to some of the others).

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Try ebay.

574 items found for Melaleuca

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The pyramid stuff is crappy. But the oils and laundry detergent and stuff are WONDERFUL.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
I found it way too expensive, and not as great as I'd hoped. Their shampoo isn't very nice, for one thing.

Even though they tell you it won't cost that much, I found myself spending $75 every month to meet the minimum 'point' purchase requirements to be a member. With a three person household, nearly a year after quitting, I STILL have a ton of product left. So it just wasn't worth it for me.

The best bet is to order through someone who is already a member, without signing up yourself. They make their points, you get the product. Everyone's happy.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The best bet is to order through someone who is already a member, without signing up yourself. They make their points, you get the product. Everyone's happy.
That's what we did.

Ebay is a good idea.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never even heard of the company. Is this a Plains state thing?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
They are in Idaho (for home base)

But network marketing is very popular in the Plains states. I don't know about other areas.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We bought it in CA. I heard nothing about it during 2 years in TX.
Boon
unregistered

I called my cousin, and he can place an order and have it shipped straight to my house, so, no joining and he gets the points. Thanks. [Smile]
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
The products are just flat out fantastic. However, they are not cheap, and anybody who joins up has to buy a minimum amount each month. (Measured in points, not dollars, so you can spend anywhere from $50-75 to hit the minimum points.

My wife used to do it, and overall people raved about everything from the detergent to the make-up to the vitamins. However, most of us ended up leaving simply because of the monthly cost.

My wife is a double-coupon/sale combo get-it-for-50-cents kind of girl, and it was just hard to bring herself to spend that much on product each month.

That's mostly why we quit. It certainly wasn't any gripe over the quality of the product.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Where I used to live in SE Idaho, I knew a lot of college students who used to work at the manufacturing plant in Idaho Falls. As others have said, the products are good, while pricy, but not as expensive as Amway. I particularly like their toothpaste, although my former dentist sold it to me for several years at $14 a tube (as a "prescription") before I learned that it retails for $3. [Mad]

Of course, like many other network marketing schemes, the folks who sell the stuff will try to tell you that melaleuca will cure anything from warts to herpes to liver cancer [Dont Know] , which is of course ridiculous, but they are quality products.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The toothpaste is amazing. While I was using it I had no problems with cold sores or bleeding gums, both of which I usually get periodically.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
They're in Canada as well, and I've used their products. If I were still in Canada, I'd still be using their products. I love them!

My biggest problem with household cleaners, soaps, beauty products, and the like is that I'm chemically sensitive. Walking down the laundry detergent aisle at the grocery store sets me off with massive headaches, for example. I'm allergic to a lot of stuff out there, including all powdered laundry detergents and powdered cleansers. Dish soap, if I don't use gloves, peels the skin off my hands like I was a snake.

Melaleuca products, however, I don't react to. At all. I've tried almost all of them, and they were good for me.

A little more expensive? Well, sure, but I found they also lasted a lot longer, so in the long run, not more expensive, but cheaper.

Yeah, I'd use them again. No doubt about it.

But I also agree with others - don't bother getting into the business side of things. It's a waste of time. Order through your cousin and you'll be happier.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Toothpaste!

I'm allergic to most toothpastes. If it has fluoride in it, it feels like it burns the inside of my mouth. The ones without fluoride didn't feel like they worked all that well - I hate residual fuzz that shows up hours later. But Melaleuca toothpaste . . . They have at least one formulation (in Canada, at any rate) without fluoride in it, and man, does that stuff work amazingly well. That stuff is great! None of that residual fuzz stuff.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
The products are excellent. I especially like the laundry and cleaning products because in my experience they get the job done without resorting to using harsh chemicals, which is better for allergy-prone and environmentally-sensitive people. I happen to be one of the latter. I also like the toothpaste (fluoride-free in the US as well,) shampoo and soap, and the vitamins.

Yes, as others have mentioned the products tend to be a little bit more expensive, but they last much longer (especially the cleaning stuff) and their ingredients are higher-quality and safer--a trade-off I'm willing to make. Plus, I haven't been to the doctor since I became a customer a year and a half ago, and I feel healthier. So I've about broke even in the long run.

As far as the business aspects are concerned, I disagree with the others. If you are willing to put in several hours a week worth of effort , then you can make a decent income--at least enough to pay for the products you order each month.

Melaleuca isn't set up like a traditional multi-level marketing company. Instead of individuals business owners handling inventory, every customer orders directly from the company catalog via 800 number or the web and gets the products shipped directly to them. Owning a business consists of referring people to the company and helping them sign up as customers, for which the company gives you a percentage of revenues. But, if you don't want to do the work to build a business, like quid said you'll be happier being a customer only.

In interest of full disclosure, my parents have a successful Melaleuca business and I am actively building one. However, even if I weren't, I'd still be a customer because of the products.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*shudder*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Great. I'm going to count how long it takes before my sister calls trying to sell me this stuff. She's already called me about Amway, PartyLights, Home Elements, Pampered Chef, Shakley, and Noni Juice over the years. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

No one has ever -- ever -- approached me about buying a multi-level marketing product. I attribute this to the survival instinct.
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
A neighbor and semi-friend once asked me if I would be willing to help him with a project for one of his business classes. He needed someone to sit through a presentation, and I agreed. It turned out to be a MLM-spiel, and had no connection to any school class that I could tell. I was really steamed, but I stayed polite and simply declined to participate or buy anything.

It was a lot less offensive when a guy in the dorms had me sit through the same thing, but was up front about what it was all about.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.