FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » All-Time Best Graphic Novels

Author Topic: All-Time Best Graphic Novels
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew Arnold of the New York Times published a list of the all-time best graphic novels.

Of those on the list, I've only read The Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns. I thought V for Vendetta
also deserves to make the list, but since I haven't read the others a comparison cannot be made.

Do you recommend any of these graphic novels? What would your top ten list look like?

quote:
Berlin: City of Stones by Jason Lutes (Drawn & Quarterly; 2000)

Blankets by Craig Thompson (Top Shelf; 2003)

Bone by Jeff Smith (Cartoon Books; 2004)

The Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Kim Deitch (Pantheon; 2002

The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller (DC Comics; 1986)

David Boring by Daniel Clowes (Pantheon; 2000)

Ed the Happy Clown by Chester Brown (Vortex; 1989)

Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware (Pantheon; 2000)

Palomar: The Heartbreak Soup Stories by Gilbert Hernandez (Fantagraphics Books; 2003)

Watchmen written by Alan Moore / drawn by Dave Gibbons (DC Comics; 1986)

Times.com

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Many of these novels are quite graphic. Unfortunately, I can't make up my mind which is best. [Razz]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Of that list I have also only read Watchman and DKR. I'm kinda surprised Maus isn't on that list. I recommend Akira, which you can now get in english in a 6-book set. Also Sin City, which definitely qualifies as graphic.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
And where is the Sandman? How could you leave Gaiman off this list. A travesty!

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Right on Parsimony!

I also love the Batman vs Dracula Elseworlds book.

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Better question: Where's Maus?
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought The Hedge Knight was pretty cool in graphic novel form.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised to see Maus not on the list. Or Understanding Comics. Or The Cartoon History of the Universe. Or Persepolis. Or A Contract With God. Or at least one of the Sin City serials.

But "The Sandman" wouldn't qualify, since it was a monthly -- and not even a miniseries, at that. The Dark Knight Returns only barely qualifies, IMO. And Bone shouldn't qualify at all.

That said, both Jimmy Corrigan and Blankets are excellent, and definitely worth the money.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Love and Rockets, for sure.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Also, Neil Gaiman did a graphic novel called Harlequin which was great. He also did something with a Japanese artist that I never got around to getting which probably didn't suck. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Again, I'm not sure you can count Love and Rockets. Like Bone, it was an ongoing series; if we're going to open it up to the best ongoing series that have been collected in trade paperback, that'll really blow the roof off the list of possibilities.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read many graphic novels. I am currently reading The History of Violence (good story but the artwork leaves something to be desired) but I have to agree with Tom that Persepolis was a good read.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

My mistake. I thought L&R was only released that way, as kind of a big, infrequent comic book/graphic novel.

I haven't read it, but isn't Robota a graphic novel?

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Also, can we not consider Dinotopia a graphic novel?
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Storm Saxon, is your name a reference to the fictional tv show featured in V for Vendetta? [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Yep. [Smile]
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
The best graphic novel I can think of is Angel Sanctuary by Yuki Kaori.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Thanks Stormy. I've probably asked you that question before when I first joined Hatrack. But it has been a while since I've had the time to sit down and read my old comics, um, I mean graphic novels again. [Smile]
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the difference?
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
"Where's Maus? "

For a graphic novel that has been so hyped, I found myself completely disappointed in both the story and the art.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

"What's the difference?"

Some of my friends (who are in their mid-thirties) get a little defensive when their wives accuse them of reading "comic books." [Smile]

Thanks for recommending Jimmy Corrigan and Blankets, Tom. It is good to know which titles on that list deserve my attention.

[ October 26, 2005, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheHumanTarget:
"Where's Maus? "

For a graphic novel that has been so hyped, I found myself completely disappointed in both the story and the art.

I'm inclined to agree. It's certainly one of the most important graphic novels, in that it got a much wider audience to take the genre seriously, but I wouldn't call it one of the best.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
The reviewer's definition is a bit muddy -- he includes Berlin even though he notes that it's the first volume of a projected series... using the same definition, one could easily include a Sandman book. (Sandman did end at issue 75, and Gaiman says that he always meant for the series to end... so if it's OK to have all 55 issues of Bone get nominated, why not some of the 75 issues of Sandman?)

Anyway... I agree with Blankets, Watchmen, and the Dark Knight all being on the list... I like both Ed the Happy Clown and Bone, but not sure about them being in the top 10... the others... haven't seen Berlin or the Deitch book... and Clowes, Hernandez, and Ware are all artists that for whatever reason I just don't appreciate...

Agree that Maus, Persepolis, V for Vendetta, and Sandman should've been on there. And maybe Stuck Rubber Baby?

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Bone, while as has been pointed out is not a graphic novel, is definitely worth reading (at least based on the first 3 collections I have read).

I would also recommend Cages by Dave McKean. Though it was also originally serialized as well.

Robota is not really a graphic novel. It is more an Illustrated novel. The text is all seperate from the visuals. I actually just finished reading it the other day. It was alright.

I also just read another (short) graphic novel that was one of (or maybe) the first project Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean worked on together. It was called Violent Cases. It was a good but quick read.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I've had a chance to look at my shelf, I really need to suggest Kingdom Come. Marvels was quite good, too.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I wasn't knocked over by Maus when I first read it, myself. Maybe it's time I reread it and see if my opinion has changed.
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Book 1. The second book was despicable, but the first was excellent. Didn't much care for DKR.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the art and story lines in Elfquest a lot. Plus they're more recent graphic novels.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Why has no one mentioned Jhonen Vasquez's work, which easily trumps everything listed so far? Especially Sin City, ugh, talk about clichetastic serials.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

As much as I like Vasquez, his Squee/Johnny work is about as clichetastic as Sin City.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I was the only person in the world who had read Cartoon History of the Universe.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The Death of Captain Marvel deserves to be on that list. It's old, and it's not the Captain Marvel most people are familiar with (he's a guy named Mar-Vell, and he was a Marvel Comics character), but it was the first time I'd ever seen a major character dealing with something as prosaic as cancer.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.