FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Make poverty history this Christmas

Author Topic: Make poverty history this Christmas
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out these websites!

http://www.greatgifts.org/
http://www.oxfamunwrapped.com/

These allow you to give donkeys, camels, teachers, plantations, mango trees, medication (and many many more) to villages / individuals throughout the world's poorest communities.

Last Christmas these not only made the world that little bit better but also saved me so much anguish from not having to search the shops for the right present for my uncles, aunts, cousins, etc but also and eased my privileged conscience too! (And I have to admit to getting a little bit of a kick out of sending a goat to my stubborn and grumpy aunt [Evil Laugh] !)

I think these are such an excellent idea. Who really needs another pair of socks or scarf or belt that inevitably is not quite the right colour or size? And if you send these this year, then next year you may well have inspired a friend to send an alternative gift too!

So, if you like these please spread the word to your friends and families.

If you know of any more websites that offer similar services please post them here too.

Edit for having forgotten to add the links [Laugh]

[ October 26, 2005, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: firebird ]

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been having a goat given to a third-world family in my name by my great-aunt for Christmas every year since I was 8. I've always thought it was awesome. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talking about The Heifer Project? You forgot the link. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

Have added the links now ....

What is the Heifer Project?

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! I couldn't remember the exact name. [Blushing]

Heifer Project International

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I haven't seen those others before, but The Heifer Project is awesome, both in what it does and how it does it. I highly recommend them.

Plus, we have a picture of dkw riding a water buffalo at their teaching farm. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Wow, their website has some great stuff on sustainable agriculture, supporting local farmers, and all kinds of stuff!)
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
*curses wildly*

Erm, excuse me.

I was just offline writing a proposal that we do the Hatrack gift thing this year... to support Heifer International. [ROFL]

I was going to call it "Let's Give The Gift of Bees This Year" and everything...

*sniffle*

Seriously, though, I've emailed them about how to handle group donations and things.

It seems like a great idea to me.

[ October 26, 2005, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Olivet ]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

The Heifer Project looks fabulous. I'll definately look into that website some more.

With Oxfam and GreatGifts I particularlly like the really little things you can give, ie a Blanket, a school lunch. It's not much but it makes the point that every little helps.

KQ ... How many goats have you been given now? I haven't read the details of how Heifer works but with Oxfam you not only give a goat but the first female kid born to the original goat has to be given away to another family in the village. So 8 years of goats would actually be about 8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1 (assuming one female goat born per year for each goat given) so ..... MANY!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm 22.

I haven't got one two years out of the intervening years. But that's still... (22-8-2=12) 12 goats initially. So 12+11+10+9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1= at least 78 goats. [Cool]

firebird
Member # 1971

Olivet ...

I was going to propose something similar if this thread took off!! Great mind think alike? [Wave]

So ... sign me up ... I'd definately like to join your Hatrack gift idea and make a contribution.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
When you give an animal, you're not just paying for the animal but also for training, setup, etc. Heifer goes into a community and works with the people there to determine what type of agricultural project would work best. They give several female animals and at least one male in each community. Then they provide training, vetrinary care, etc for the first few years. Families that receive an animal agree to give the first (or it might be second, I don't remember for sure) female offspring to a neighbor.

It's an awesome project.

And Briggs (the water buffalo I rode) and his buddy Straton are very nice animals.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Aw, it's not my idea. No ownership. I think it is a good one, though. [Wink] I was just trying to be funny.

I think it is a very affirming coincidence, actually. The part I was hung up on was, should we do a Hatrack registry there, or see if they take paypal or whatever? I sent them an email, but haven't heard back yet.

I mean, how do we want to do it?

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Briggs and Straton? *hee
Olivet
Member # 1104

dkw - I've heard nothing but GREAT things about HI, so I'm glad your experince bears that out.

I totally want to do this this year, even if it's just me. I can hardly stand it. It's been on my mind for weeks...

If I wasn't a complete heathen, I'd say that I was being moved by the Spirit. [Big Grin]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Livvy, even complete heathens can be moved by the Spirit sometimes. [Big Grin]
firebird
Member # 1971

Maybe you're being moved by the Hatrack spirit? Maybe I have been too? I wonder what the Hatrack spirit looks like? A giant coat stand perhaps? But rather than coats, books and quotes and philosophical statements strewn across it?

We have lots of time to work out how to do payment before Christmas. Please let us know how Heifer respond. In the meantime I'll contact oxfam and see how they would suggest taking group donations. How was the Hatrack donation done for the Hurricain Katrina relief?

KQ that is a phenomenal number of goats!

Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that I have some ambivalent feelings toward donating money to Heifer International because of being a vegetarian.

Beekeeping, dairy cows, laying chickens, trees, and wool producing sheep don't bother me, but the notion that my money would be going to support a meat-based diet does, both from a moral standpoint and because the farther people (or any animal) eat up the food chain, the more energy is consumed. Diets high in meat are already unsustainable in many third world countries, and this whole idea of bringing in more grazing animals to areas with limited native vegetation and severe erosion seems counterproductive in the long-term. While I love the idea of having "generations" of a gift that can be passed on by the origianl recipients, I don't want to be party to negatively changing native diets, customs, and fragile ecologies.

Something to think about when/if you get around to donating. (Buy trees! Or bees!)

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Samarkand, they don't give cows and goats for meat. They give them to be milk-producing animals for families, which supplies added protein in diets, and helps reduce childhood starvation.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(And when they build up enough of a herd, they usually also are able to bring in some extra income selling dairy or wool products.)
dkw
Member # 3264

Some of their projects are meat-animal based though.

Rabbits.

And Guinea Pigs. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a Heifer Foundation member for a few years now, ever since I realized that my family -- mainly being made up of middle-class adults -- no longer needs any "stuff." So I donate a cow or two in their name each year.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, the rabbits. Yes.

So we won't buy rabbits.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
This is fantastic!

I'd never heard of any of this before, so thank you for enlightening me! [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait! I have a Christmas article coming up for the magazine (Dear Santa, here's my top ten list, or something like that), but it's supposed to be on gadgets. I need to find a way to work something from this into the article. Awareness, people, awareness! If you have suggestions . . .
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've been looking for a gadget angle, and I just can't find one. [Frown] Sorry.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's worth noting that when you donate to these funds, you are NOT actually paying for a specific type of animal. So if you're a vegetarian and are completely opposed to having your money be used to pay for meat rabbits, donating a "cow" will not ensure that your money won't be used in that way. I've heard from other people that if you include a note with your donation explaining your opposition to a specific initiative, though, that the foundation is willing to make the effort -- although they do not guarantee it -- to spend your money elsewhere.

---

Quid, beehives and looms could be considered "gadgets."

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I found one! At the World Vision site, you can buy computers for a school or solar panels for a clinic or a water dam. [Big Grin] I can make that work. And there might be other things, too . . . [Big Grin]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Looms? Beehives? Of course! Thanks! [Kiss]
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
What about donations to the Hurrican Stan relief and reconstruction efforts in Central America? As wonderful as the programs like Heifer International are (and they really are - my work has cofunded projects with them), donating to the relief efforts would be a very timely gift.

Stan didn't get much media attention in the US, but it has absolutely devastated parts of Central America. Numerous villages in Guatemala have been completely washed away by mudslides and the government is turning them into mass graves. In El Salvador, Stan was followed by two volcanic eruptions that further damaged the country.

Considering that Honduras has still not fully recovered from Mitch in 1998, I expect the reconstruction efforts in Guatemala and El Salvador to take just as long.

Oxfam and other organizations such as Sharing the Dream, UPAVIM (Guatemalan Non-profit - United for a Better Life), and Ecumenical Project for International Cooperation, are accepting donations for Hurrican Stan relief.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks TD - that's what I was thinking, that the option to "buy" something through Heifer International is really just a way to allow people to connect to an an idea - like of a flock of geese or whatnot - but the money goes where it's needed. Which totally makes sense from a charitable standpoint, but can make it a bit tricky if there's a potential moral conflict.

Looms? Beehives? This sounds very cool. Also like the idea of the Hurrican Stan relief. What about Doctors Without Borders? Does anyone know of anything controversial regarding them?

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

Olivet, did you get a response from Heifer?
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused about the pricing on these different gifts from Heifer - how does one goat cost $120? I realize that they are *really* just donations of money towards the organization, but ... goats don't cost $120 in third-world countries. They don't cost that much in the States! According to a friend from India, goats don't cost more than $15 or $10 American dollars. At greatgifts.org they're charging 13 pounds for a goat. That seems much more reasonable.

What's the extra money for with Heifer International?

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Training the recipiants to care for the animal, building shelters, vet care, etc. The animals aren't just dropped off on people's doorsteps, there is a lot of work that goes into setting up each project so that the families will succeed in their new livestock enterprise.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.