FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm reading Hawking (A Question)

Author Topic: I'm reading Hawking (A Question)
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading Hawking's Brief History of Time, and have been enjoying it very much. I tried to start with Einstien and went crosseyed before page 6; needless to say, Hawking has been a lot easier to read thus far. I have a tendency to read something, continue on, and then when I'm not doing anything, I think about things.

Well one of the things my mind jumped to was something Hawking wrote in the second chapter, which was that by the equation E = mc^2, the energy a object has due to it's motion will add to it's mass.

Over the years of just about any science class I ever slept through in high school, biology included, I came to believe that mass was a measure of matter, and something that was repeated every other day "matter/energy can not be created or destroyed, but can be changed."

So I'm confused now. If something is sped up, it then takes up more space? Or what?

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EarlNMeyer-Flask
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for EarlNMeyer-Flask           Edit/Delete Post 
In physics, the mass of an object is defined as a measure of the difficulty of accelerating the object. An object going faster will have more mass, meaning that increasing its speed will be harder.

In biology, saying that mass is a measure of matter is imprecise. It's really our physical world intuition of the physics concept of mass.

Thus, the law of thermodynamics is maintained, and there is no creation of new matter or energy.

I'm not certain about whether or not an object accelerated near to the speed of light will take up more space. (Even if there is no new matter created, the existing matter could be more spread out). There is a phenomena that I think has been measured called length contraction that finds that objects compress a very small amount when accelerated. Thus, an accelerated object should actually be contained in less space.

However, this presumes that we know what space is, and that it doesn't change much (whatever it is) when objects are accelerated.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so if mass is the measure of the difficulty of accelerating the object, then yeah, it makes sense. It's going to take more energy to move an object faster. Ok, that makes sense. It then explains that an object can not go faster than the speed of light, because then it's mass would be infinite, and impossible to accelerate any faster.

Ok, makes sense. If mass is all about the difficulty in moving something, it's simple to know. How then did I come to think that mass has to do with matter and space thats filled? This probably explains why I got a B- in most science classes.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EarlNMeyer-Flask
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for EarlNMeyer-Flask           Edit/Delete Post 
Your first notion of mass is what is usually presented as our common-sense/intution of mass, and it is what it is usually defined as in at least lower biology course textbooks.
Posts: 338 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly enough, most of the mass in ordinary matter is due to the energy of all the little sub-atomic particles whizzing around each other. So, mass isn't just what makes things hard to accelerate. It is also what makes things attract each other through gravity.

Edit: and a bit about the Lorentz Contraction.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
You're so cute T_Smith. [Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Nate, here's a link that might blow your mind: Mach's Principle as put forth by Einstein.

Good luck, I only understand about 40% of it. [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I read A Brief History of Time a few years ago (also as a non-scientist), and I really enjoyed it as well. But it definitely gave me several headaches! [Wall Bash]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Another factoid: Hawking was told that every additional equation would reduce his readership by a huge amount.
So he only included 2-3 equations in his book...

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he only included one equation in a Brief History of Time?
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
Another factoid: Hawking was told that every additional equation would reduce his readership by a huge amount.
So he only included 2-3 equations in his book...

And it is one of the best selling pure science books...

Ever.

Go figure. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Compared to Romance novels wich are 100% formula.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
So if M is the measure of mass readership, and E is the number of equations, then C would be the cerebral appetite of the book buying public, such that:

M = E^(-2C)

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
I may be mistaken, but i think your wife bought her first copy of that book at our 7th grade scholastic bookfair.

its sad if i remember that correctly.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It is, in fact, that very copy.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
so...very...sad...
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I love A Brief History of Time! It lives on my bedside table.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Morbo, what's gotten you interested in Mach's Principle?

That was one of the topics of my undergraduate thesis in the philosophy of physics.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
I love A Brief History of Time! It lives on my bedside table.

Me too! Mine too! [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Compared to Romance novels wich are 100% formula.

I mentioned this to Sharpie, and she said it just proves the phenomenon is more complicated than we thought -- perhaps a disjoint parabola -- or perhaps it is not the number of equations, but the proportion that is formulas. From 1 to 500 equations, readership drops from 10 million to 20, but at 100% formula it goes back up to 10 million....

[Cool] Ha, ha, way to kill a joke, jvp

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
etphonehome
Member # 999

- posted      Profile for etphonehome   Email etphonehome         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading A Brief History of Time the summer before my freshman year of high school, and I really enjoyed it. I want to re-read it someday, but I have a mile-long list of books I've never read that I want to get through first.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I was just reading the new Wheel of Time book that just came out so the first thing i though of when i saw this topic was Arthur Hawking? What can u read of his?

Then I reallized who it was actually talking about....

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.