FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Owning Land on the Moon?

Author Topic: Owning Land on the Moon?
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Please tell me this story is not true:

quote:
Beijing company sells land on the moon
BEIJING, Oct. 27 (UPI) -- Chinese authorities are investigating a Beijing company, registered only last month, that claims to sell land on the moon, the Beijing News reported Thursday.

The Beijing Lunar Village Aeronautics Science and Technology Co. registered on Sept. 5 to conduct business activities including space travel, development of the moon and sales of land on the moon, the newspaper reported.

The domestically financed company claimed registered capital of $1.23 million, but local authorities said it had only 100,000 yuan (about $12,000).

The company, which calls itself the Lunar Embassy in China, offers an acre of land on the moon for $37. The company issues customers a certificate of entitlement including rights to any minerals located up to 3 kilometers (nearly 10,000 feet) underground.

Li Jie, chief executive officer of the company, claimed he had received several hundred telephone orders in the past few days, Xinhua reported.

It just seems ridiculous. What gives them the right?
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
To my knowledge anyone can claim rights to just about anything anywhere. The trick is to actually protect that claim when faced with a conflicting claim. In other words, they are safe doing this (provided they aren't breaking anti-fraud laws) until such time as someone challenges the claim. It's very unlikely that such a venture would have any practicle value. If the US starts a base on the moon and it happens to be on land this company has "sold", the US would likely take the stance that it does not recognize the authority of the company and therefore the claims are invalid.

There have been companies in the past that have given away or sold plots of land on Mars, the Moon, and (I believe) Antarctica. The fact is if you could get to the moon now you could "claim" as much land as you want. It would be interesting to know how you might intend to enforce your claim once you got there.

This is very similar to the "International Star Registry" which gets press this time of year. They sell the right to name a star, and pitch this as the perfect Christmas gift. However, what you are really paying for is the right to send them a name which they will assign to a star on their list. There is no guarantee, or even claim, that the name you choose will be recognized by anyone outside the ISR itself (which is just a commercial venture and has no authority to enforce any names it sells). So you end up with a nice official-looking piece of paper. If you want anyone else to start using your name, well, you have to handle enforcement yourself. [Wink]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
There was an American company, a few years back, who was doing this same thing. It is pretty much meaningless. At the time you got a "deed" to your one acre plot and a satellite map of what you now owned. Just in case you wanted to put a starbucks there, I suppose.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
It's the same American company: they copyrighted the idea; just as the StarRegistry copyrighted theirs. And both do go to court to enforce their copyrights.
At which point, the competing startup quits cuz their own moon-selling/star-naming franchise doesn't generate enough cashflow to make it worthwhile to fund the legal cost of a copyright battle.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts:

We are Mooninites from the inner core of the moon. Our race is hundreds of years beyond yours. Some would say that the Earth is our moon. But that would belittle the name of our moon, which is: The Moon.

[Razz]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought Cor some land on the moon for a gift one year.

[Smile]

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
So you're saying that your culture is advanced because you can jump really high?

--AR

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Our vertical leap is beyond all that you can comprehend with one hundred percent of your brain.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I own the whole moon. As well as Neptune. And I have a full military force on both locations to back it up.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Who owns the stuff between the moon and Neptune? And are you at war with them?
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
I own Uranus.

Yes, Uranus is OWNED.

<flinching...>

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
(I am truly sorry. I had to.)
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
It's the same American company: they copyrighted the idea; just as the StarRegistry copyrighted theirs. And both do go to court to enforce their copyrights.
At which point, the competing startup quits cuz their own moon-selling/star-naming franchise doesn't generate enough cashflow to make it worthwhile to fund the legal cost of a copyright battle.

Until, of course, there is any serious reason to own a piece of the moon. Then we'll see how long they hold up in court. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I won Venus a couple years ago in a card game but I'm thinking of selling it.

Too many angry women live there.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.