FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Goodfellas is the #1 Film of all time. Casablanca is #98 (Now with Full List!)

Author Topic: Goodfellas is the #1 Film of all time. Casablanca is #98 (Now with Full List!)
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/story/358768p-305717c.html

A british magazine has named Goodfellas as the greatest film ever made. Casablanca is #98, and Fight Club is #4.

Any list that puts Fight Club in the top ten loses all credibility with me. I found it a neat movie, but by no means great.

The cool redeeming factor of the list is the inclusion of His Girl Friday at #10.

that is all...

[ October 27, 2005, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

Hey, The Godfather II is a superior film to both of those.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Argh. It's only someone's random list! These lists mean nothing!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We saw a live theatre version of His Girl Friday a few months ago.

It was awesome. [Cool]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure they mean something. They mean the writer of this particular list is an idiot [Wink]
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*snicker*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_hoIes
Member # 6963

- posted      Profile for digging_hoIes   Email digging_hoIes         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen Goodfellas. I saw the Godfather, but I don't remember most of it. I don't know what the fuss is about.
Posts: 109 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Goodfellas? Number one of all time? No way.

It wasn't a bad movie, although as I recall it had Joe Pesci in it, and he bugs the crap out of me. But it wasn't better than Casablanca. Not a chance. And as for Fight Club...I've never been able to sit through that whole movie.

Oh, and for the record - The Godfather is a great movie. For many reasons, but especially for the fact that Coppola managed to make it seem like he went on location into the past to film the thing. Just watch the opening part of the movie, during the wedding party. That does not look like a movie set...it looks like they really were in the time.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
The Lord of the Rings trilogy not only made the list, it made the top 10: I can therefore safely laugh at it for not having any credibility whatsoever.

And Jaws was in the top 5. Clearly, this list is based on some bizarre set of requirements that none of us is understanding.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

- posted      Profile for Dr. Evil   Email Dr. Evil         Edit/Delete Post 
Fight Club was one of those movies that makes all of those young geeks think they are deep and philosophical but they really aren't. I persoanlly couldn't stand the film and think it is over-rated.
Posts: 117 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Fight Club (the movie, not the book) as a love story. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I thought fight club was a good movie. Probably not fourth best of all time, but still really good.

Never seen Casablanca, so I can't comment on their choice in that regard.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Fight Club is a brilliant movie. This list may well be wacko--to be honest, I haven't even looked. But fight club is terrific.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
So we don't get to see the entire list? Bummer.

And I too would like to know what criteria they used to rate movies. It would be interesting to see a description, carefully laid out in detail, listing what it is they value in a good movie.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

http://forum.totalfilm.com/viewtopic.php?t=1440

full list is as follows:

1 GoodFellas
2 Vertigo
3 Jaws
4 Fight Club
5 The Godfather Part II
6 Citizen Kane
7 Tokyo Story
8 The Empire Strikes Back
9 The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
10 His Girl Friday
11 Persona
12 Chinatown
13 Manhattan
14 Taxi Driver
15 It's A Wonderful Life
16 The Apartment
17 Once Upon A Time In The West
18 All About Eve
19 The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
20 Apocalypse Now
21 Crash
22 Sunrise
23 The Godfather
24 Rear Window
25 Sunset Boulevard
26 The Third Man
27 Some Like It Hot
28 Raging Bull
29 La Regle Du Jeu
30 Reservoir Dogs
31 Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid
32 Les Enfants Du Paradis
33 Star Wars
34 The Searchers
35 A Matter Of Life And Death
36 2001: A Space Odyssey
37 Touch Of Evil
38 Badlands
39 Monty Python And The Holy Grail
40 ET: The Extra-Terrestrial
41 The Last Picture Show
42 One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
43 Heat
44 Annie Hall
45 Mean Streets
46 Nashville
47 Blade Runner
48 Singin' In The Rain
49 Pulp Fiction
50 It Happened One Night
51 Aliens
52 Sullivan's Travels
53 The Deer Hunter
54 Miller's Crossing
55 Kiss Me Deadly
56 The Shawshank Redemption
57 Sweet Smell Of Success
58 Die Hard
59 Blue Velvet
60 The Outlaw Josey Wales
61 Halloween
62 The Night Of The Hunter
63 The Matrix
64 The Conversation
65 8 1/2
66 Se7en
67 L'Atalante
68 This Is Spinal Tap
69 Sideways
70 Dawn Of The Dead
71 North By Northwest
72 The Terminator
73 Hoop Dreams
74 Raiders Of The Lost Ark
75 The Wild Bunch
76 Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
77 Lawrence Of Arabia
78 The Graduate
79 The Wicker Man
80 Day For Night
81 The Shining
82 Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
83 The Wizard Of Oz
84 Metropolis
85 The King Of Comedy
86 Kind Hearts And Coronets
87 Donnie Darko
88 Get Carter
89 Rio Bravo
90 Psycho
91 Dekalog
92 Back To The Future
93 Salvador
94 Magnolia
95 The Usual Suspects
96 Stand By Me
97 Trainspotting
98 Casablanca
99 Three Kings
100 Goldfinger

they actually put Monty Python and the Holy Grail at #39.

[ October 27, 2005, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Die Hard is a better movie than Wizard of Oz?

This list has zero credibility with me. Especially for putting Fight Club so high on the list. I thought that movie was great the first time I saw it, and the second and third. But somewhere in there the hype overwhelmed me and broke the spell. It isn't THAT great, but it is great.

Plus the list is missing Boondock Saints. Shame.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
2001 sucked. [Frown]

And Alien 3 is way better than Aliens.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
After reading the list, all I can say is that this might be someone's list of their 100 favorite films, but "100 Greatest"? Not even close.

I'd have to think about the list some more to come to any real conclusions, but a couple things came to mind as I was reading it.

"6 - Citizen Kane"...This is a good movie, but I think of it a lot like the way I think of The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". They are both great, and made some interesting innovations, but neither one are nearly as great as they are given credit for being.

"12 - Chinatown"...Defintely top ten material in my book.

"23 - The Godfather" and "24 - Rear Window"...these are both top ten material, as well.

"28 - Raging Bull"...I really hated this film, but I can still see very well that it is a great piece of filmmaking.

"76 - Close Encounters of the Third Kind"...Maybe not top 10 material, but I'd certainly consider putting it in the top 20.

"98 - Casablanca"...Maybe not number 1, but I'd definitely put it in the top 5.

Then again, this is just as subjective as the list as published.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Once upon a Time in the West. And I really liked 2001. The pacing, in particular, which I know sounds kind of odd.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, my professor seems to agree with the compiler of this list. I am taking an 'American Popular Culture of the 50s and 60s' class, and right now we're doing a film unit. The movies we have watched/will watch for class are as follows (with their ranking on the list in parenthesis):

High Noon (not ranked)
Rear Window (24)
Vertigo (2)
Some Like it Hot (27)
The Apartment (16)
The Graduate (78)

Only the Western (High Noon) did not make the list. Pretty cool. [Smile]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
61 Halloween

WOOHOO! [Party]

Edit:

quote:
3 Jaws

Double WOOHOO! [Party]

Edit of the Edited Edit:

quote:
77 Lawrence Of Arabia

[Cry]

This could have and should have been a lot higher than 77.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
...These are all so very male films...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
You know.....when I looked at the first time I didn't notice that. But it looks like they are. I'm going to bet that the writer was a male!
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ben for the complete list. That's way more fun than getting just the highlights.

Hansenj, I'd be interested to hear some of your professor's comments. I think it would be cool to see some material about why these movies are where they are on this list.

And I think I would agree with you Teshi, although I'm not sure I could really explain why I agree with you. It wouldn't surprise me if the committee rating movies on this list (in my head I somehow imagined a group of people doing the rating) was predominantly male.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 

[ October 29, 2005, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: the_Somalian ]

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Why does the Lord of the Rings Trilogy take one slot, but Star Wars takes two different spots from the original trilogy?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
For me the list is invalidated by the fact that "Crash" is in the top twenty.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

Or right behind the top twenty.
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Serenity deserves to be in any top 100 list. Along with Finding Nemo.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And Alien 3 is way better than Aliens.
[Embarrassed] *pulse-rifle*
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
19 - Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Oh come on! Even though I rank this as one of the scariest movies I've seen, there is no criterion (objective or subjective) that would place it on a list of the top 100 movies of all time, let alone have it crack the top 20.

There's just no way.

In fact, there are easily 20 better movies in the classification of B-movie horror films. Probably, if we think hard enough, we could think of 20 better films in the B-movie horror films from the 1970's.

I'd like to point out that this has placed TCM as the top rated horror film (unless one considers Vertigo as horror genre) of all time.

This list is now dismissed as pure drivel with a hmmmph and a fffftttttttppptttthhh.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
If you make your own list, then you can put Serenity exactly where it belongs. And Star Wars. And Lotr. And Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

And if you're lucky, they'll publish it as news.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.