FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Interesting Slate article on women and marriage (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Interesting Slate article on women and marriage
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
bev,
quote:
Let's be scientific about this.
Errr..you didn't actually do this. In fact, the evolutionary psychology background that you're working from not only isn't science, it can't be science. In final analysis, it's all just story-telling. It may sound sciencesque, but unless it makes predictions which can be tested, it is not scientific nor is it possible to verify. EP specifically doesn't do this.

Even leaving that aside, resposnble evolutionary psychologists freely admit that they are talking about statistical trends and not stricly bounded types. Within those trends, you can get a great deal of variation. Some women may not have any capacity for nuturing at all and some men may have everything they need to be a mother except a uterus. I myself absolutely love kids and feel a strong need to nuture just about everybody (while still remaining all man, rrrarr!).

Nor are these tendencies (assuming they exist), deterministic. Men may be more inclined to sleep around, for example, but you seem to be assigning to this a power far in excess of many more well defined biological urges. There is a huge role played by social and (if you swing that way, which I do) personal factors in these behavior. For that matter, pointing to isolated things we may get from evolutionary forces generally tends to ignore all the other relevant things we may get from evolution (much like saying that we are designed to be selfish and ignoring that there's at least as strong a drive towards intra-species cooperation in our evolutionary history).

---

Also, sex feels good. Done right, it feels really good, both physically and possibly emotionally. I think if you're looking for reasons why girls want to have sex and ignore the waves of mind-melting pleasure that can result, you're going to come up with a very incomplete picture.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
pH- Is there anything more annoying than being asked to define your relationship with someone when you're not really sure yourself what it is? With them standing there, no less.

Oh, man. I HATE that. The people I know up here have so far been tactful enough to reserve such questions for when the guys aren't around, but there's nothing more awkward than, "So, are you two together?"

Uhhhh... [Angst]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.