FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Whacky laws (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Whacky laws
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
My current favorite examples:

In Indiana, "trucks" are exempt from the mandatory seatbelt law. This exemption was put in place for farmers (that's the reason given by the legislature, don't ask me). The legislature failed, however, to define what they mean by "truck." An Indiana truck plate goes for an extra $9 at registration. SUVs, El Caminos, pickup trucks, and so on are all being registered as "trucks" specifically to avoid the belt requirement that's imposed on occupants of other vehicles.

In Florida it is illegal to have a dog riding in the bed of a pickup truck. It is, however, legal to have children riding back there.

My examples are from traffic safety. I'm sure you probably have examples you like too. So add to the list...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, this is way too easy for me, so it wouldn't be fair. I live in Massachusetts. All I have to do is link to the blue laws.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
For the benefit of farmers like heck. The police can't ticket someone for driving on truly private property: ie private property which is not viewed as a public accommodation, such as a supermarket parking lot. And there ain't no reason for the exemption on public roadways. It's not like a farmer's gotta hop in-and-outta his truck every few minutes while driving down a highway.

Nope, the Indiana legislature got exactly the result it wanted -- thumbing its nose at the Feds while still sucking on the federal HighwayFunding teat -- even if they hafta kill their own citizens to do so.

[ October 30, 2005, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
No joke, Liz....

I MA it is illegal to have sex in anything but the missionary position, even if married.

You can't buy liquor on Sundays, but completely nude dancing, in a bar, is allowed 365 days a year....the only limit is that you can't open before noon on Christmas...

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
blue laws?
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's probably not fair to mention since the state HAS changed it now, but a little over a decade ago, in WA. State, husbands still had the right to enforce their sexual desires on their wives.

Just a little oopsie that somehow escaped lawmakers' notice, d'oncha know . . . [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In Florida it is illegal to have a dog riding in the bed of a pickup truck. It is, however, legal to have children riding back there.
This may go against the grain Bob, but some of my fondest childhood memories involve riding in the back of a pickup truck.

There's an innocence lost when legislation is passed to protect people from themselves. I suspect that the increase in extreme sports may be a reaction to that.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't tie a giraffe to a lamp post in Georgia.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"You can't buy liquor on Sundays,"

Kwea, you have just revealed yur nondrinking ways! We have been able to buy liquor on Sundays for over a year, but not until after twelve on Sundays.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

human, the blue laws were some Puritan laws that stayed on the books. I am looking for a link for you.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

In the 70's, my dad had a summer camp, of sorts. He would pile us all in the back of the pick-up and cart us around. Rain or hail or shine.

I also remember being wedged in between his high school hockey players in the statio wagon. He would get ten or so boys in there.

Now THOSE are fond memories.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1164.html
quote:
Puritan church members in the Massachusetts Bay colony, and later, Congregationalists elsewhere in New England, believed that their contractual relationship with God required them to enforce proper behavior in their communities. This perceived requirement resulted in the enactment of a variety of laws designed to regulate the conduct of all members of society.

In its strictest sense, “blue law”* refers to an edict designed to regulate public activities on the Sabbath, which meant Sunday to the Congregationalists of that day. In common parlance, the term blue law was expanded to include several different areas of behavior:

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This may go against the grain Bob, but some of my fondest childhood memories involve riding in the back of a pickup truck.

There's an innocence lost when legislation is passed to protect people from themselves. I suspect that the increase in extreme sports may be a reaction to that.

Yeah, I know. I mean, riding in the back of a pickup used to be sort of a right of passage. It meant you were old enough and trusted by your parents not to do something stupid. And you weren't the baby who had to ride with the folks anymore.

And it was way more fun.

The problem is, of course, that even relatively minor crashes become fatal in this situation and legislatures end up doing exactly what you said: passing laws to protect people from themselves. Or to protect children from their parents' decisions. And, of course, society from the costs of people's decisions.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

But, Bob, the hockey players.
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
In Lawrence, Kansas, it's against the law to carry bees around in your hat on city streets.

You really have to wonder, with that law and the Georgia law about giraffes, what one idiot did to incite the legislature to enact a whole law about it.

http://www.lawguru.com/weird/part01.html

http://www.lawguru.com/weird/part02.html

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
WA state only recently passed a bit of legislation that makes it illegal for a customer to be within FOUR FEET of a stripper that is performing.

?!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
No more lap dances? bummer...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

And just where are you supposed to tuck the tip, hmmm?

*grins*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Am I wrong in stating that in Mississippi, until recently, it was OK(under the written, unchanged, law) to hold slaves?

I heard that somewhere a few years ago, then heard they finally went in and changed it.

Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And just where are you supposed to tuck the tip, hmmm?

*grins*

I just throw it at them. It doesn't take that much to make a quarter go four feet. <shrug>
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
They have a stripper law like that in Tampa. I think you have to be six feet away.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's illegal to do any whaling in Utah. Apparently someone stocked the Great Salt Lake with some whales a loooooong time ago and got the law passed so they wouldn't be hunted. Too bad the lake was too salty and they died anyway. . . . . .
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And it was way more fun.

The problem is, of course, that even relatively minor crashes become fatal in this situation and legislatures end up doing exactly what you said: passing laws to protect people from themselves. Or to protect children from their parents' decisions. And, of course, society from the costs of people's decisions.

So which states do have laws against riding children around in the bed of a pickup?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to enjoy riding around in the back of a pickup truck.

Then a neighbor bounced out and lived the rest of his days with severe brain damage.

Kind of sucked all the fun out of it for me from then on.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

quote:
So which states do have laws against riding children around in the bed of a pickup?
I don't know.

Dan, that kind of story really makes me sad. We had a kid who died on his 16th birtday joy-riding in the jeep his dad bought him. He loaded it up with all his friends, went to a dirt area and starting doing tight turns. They rolled and he was pinned under it. Everyone else survived, but this kid died.

It was horrible.

Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I was passed by group of people on I-285 yesterday in the back of a pickup. They blazed past me, and I was running around 80mph.

I considered calling the state patrol.

Edit: apologies for the double post.

[ October 30, 2005, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Swampjedi ]

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
In Massachusetts it is illegal to have sex with anyone unless you are married to them... and then only in the missionary position.

Dumblaws has some interesting ones like " it is illegal to have sexual relations with a porcupine"

Who would even try to have sex with a porcupine?
( apparently someone at sometime did try it because they decided they had to have a law against it!)

Mass Blue Laws are a trip to read... and yes Elizabeth... Kwea does not really drink much. He is out now as the designated driver with "Velour Man" (his best friend) and his housemate "chick hunting boy" (aka Chris). They are at the Alehouse in LBV Florida. I had to give Kwea directions so I hope he doesnt get lost!

Happy stupid laws hunting! - JenniK

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Humans riding in the back of a pickup truck is illegal in CA unless the bed is equipped with safety belts. People still do it, though.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
In Kentucky, law requires that you take a bath at least once a year (As a teenager, I always hoped that showering counted).

Also, in Lexington, Kentucky it is illegal to walk down the street with an ice cream cone in your pocket (again, you have to wonder what idiot that law was made for).

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Is that an ice cream cone in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Next time I'm in Lexington (which is at least once a year for a horse show), I'm going to put an ice cream cone, with no ice cream, in my pocket.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solero
Member # 8668

- posted      Profile for solero   Email solero         Edit/Delete Post 
In utah its illigal to walk down state street carring a violin case
Posts: 32 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it matter if it has a violin in it? Can you carry just the violin?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Did that law come around during the era of gangsters and their molls?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in New Jersey, where it is illegal to sell turtles. You can own a pet turtle, but not sell them. No one is allowed more than three pet turtles, however, because that is considered to be "possession with intent to distribute".

I found this out when I went to a pet store to buy my son a pet turtle. We landed up having to cross state lines and go to New York for the turtle. We went to a pet store that was just over the state line, and that did a brisk business in turtle sales, to be carried across state lines.

I am not kidding.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
Laws that have not be repealed in the UK (although they have been superceeded)

1. All boys under the age of 12 must do 1 hour of archery practice every Sunday

2. Scotsmen must be killed with a crossbow within the city walls of York

3. Welshmen must not enter Cheltenham on weekdays (if they do they can be shot with a long bow)however, they are free to enter on Sundays. Unless they fart, if they fart then they are allowed to be shot.

4. Eating mince pies before the 24th December is illegal

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I live in New Jersey, where it is illegal to sell turtles. You can own a pet turtle, but not sell them. No one is allowed more than three pet turtles, however, because that is considered to be "possession with intent to distribute".

I found this out when I went to a pet store to buy my son a pet turtle. We landed up having to cross state lines and go to New York for the turtle. We went to a pet store that was just over the state line, and that did a brisk business in turtle sales, to be carried across state lines.

I am not kidding.

Did they specify a size limit on the turtles? I believe it is a federal law that you are not allowed to sell turtles with a shell measuring under 4". This is because back in the 70's, baby turtles the size of a quarter became incredibly popular and were bred in huge numbers to be kept in little fishbowls. Then, of course, they grew up to be big not-so-cute turtles, and people dumped them in ditches and lakes, which caused a population boom in wild turtles and disrupted the ecosystem. At least, this is what I've been told to tell customers when they complain that they can't find little turtles for sale anywhere (I work at a pet store.) I don't know if it's actually a federal law or peculiar to Louisiana, but I understand why it was put into effect.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, size is irrelevant.

Sale of any turtles is illlegal.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, your initial examples remind me of a darkly amusing thought I have had, since I learned that at least some Japanses SUV's are imported as 'trucks' in order to bypass import quotas on cars (I actually don't know if this is still the case).

What if American drivers of those SUV's had to obey all the 'truck' laws and signs?

- No travel in left lane of interstates
- No travel on parkways, only freeways
- Must stop at weigh stations
- Lower speed limits
- Separate parking area at rest stops
- Prohibited from some streets and neighborhoods
- etc.

Then again, nit-picking at the internal inconsistencies of public law and behavior will get me as far as, say, pointing out that speed limits are (within about a 25% margin) meaningless in this country.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
John, thanks for sharing .. that made me giggle.
Must be my dark sense of humour!

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
In my old home town, it was illegal for a free woman to wear an ankle braclet. *shrug*
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
In my old home town, it was illegal for a free woman to wear an ankle braclet. *shrug*

A "free" woman? What if she charges a fee? Then can she wear the anklet?
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Here a re a few gems from WA

quote:
A law to reduce crime states: "It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town.
quote:
It is illegal to pretend that one's parents are rich.
quote:
When two trains come to a crossing, neither shall go until the other has passed.
This one, though, is no longer true:

quote:
You are not allowed to breastfeed in public.
Some funny ones from Pennsylvania:

quote:
You cannot walk backwards eating peanuts in front of the Barnstormers Auditorium during a performance.
quote:
All fire hydrants must be checked one hour before all fires.
quote:
Persons convicted of felonies may not operate Bingo games.
quote:
Ministers are forbidden from performing marriages when either the bride or groom is drunk.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's anything wacky about that last one. I think it's a good law.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
It's illegal in North Carolina to plow a field using an elephant.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
At one point, it was illegal for a smoker to exhale within the city limits of Tremonton UT.
No mention of smoking, however.

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
They can't ever exhale? Or just can't exhale cigarette smoke? I would think that not breathing would tend to kill all the smokers in town.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I do believe that this movie was set in Tremonton, UT.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In utah its illigal to walk down state street carring a violin case
Hmmm, maybe that's why my friend (who ended up the youngest-ever member of the L.A. Philharmonic) took up the viola. Not a violin, you see.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.