FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Digital Cameras

Author Topic: Digital Cameras
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Next semester I'm planning to take a Stage Makeup class, and started thinking that a digital camera would be useful to make up morgues and record my projects and stuff. I'd also like one just to have for personal use. As a relatively uninformed consumer, I'm leaning toward a run-of-the-mill HP-brand camera that wouldn't cost more than maybe $120 plus the price of a flash drive or memory stick.

Here's my question: do digital cameras usually come with USB peripherals to hook up to a computer? What about software? They wouldn't need software just to rip pictures from a memory source, would they?

Any experiences with different brands and sorts of digital cameras would be welcome. [Smile]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
My canon powershot a95 is the coolest damn thing ever. but its a little out of your price range.

i certainly am helpful!

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Canon Powershot A95 too . . . maybe look for a used one from a reputable dealer? I know I heart it.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-T33. It's the best camera ever, and I love it more than any other electronic device I own.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-W5. It's a little bigger than the DSC-T33, but I love it as well. I used to have a Canon Powershot (I think an A75), but it died on me. The DSC-W5 is probably out of your requested range, but it is a wonderful camera and I couldn't be happier with it.

~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
best buy under $200

evil walmart

some other place

Adigital camera resource page

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Amazon.com has a pretty good deals on a Canon A410. I'm a little ansy about getting a used one, but there's a new one listed for 128 dollars. hmmm...

One thing I forgot to consider is ease of use. I'm pretty good at figuring out the voodoo of an electronic device, but generally I want something I can figure out pretty easily or with less than a day of fiddling around.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
They usually come with both USB cords and software, and it shouldn't increase the price any.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get a Vivitar ViviCam 3650. It consistently takes blurry photos, and if you use the flash your picture will be too bright.

Actually, a good rule of thumb is just to not buy any electronics at Walgreens. Ever. Not even if you have an employee discount that makes it really cheap. [Mad]

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an old Canon PowerShot A70 (it's over two years old now). I was pretty happy with it, but the camera does suffer from some problems- my brother's camera of the same kind stopped working all together. Mine sometimes only works if you give it a good thump on the underside. We did some research and apparantly this was a problem with this breed of camera. I don't know if it still is- sounds like the cameras are in the 100s now!

However, the camera, when it's working, takes excellent pictures and is very easy to use. I'm sure you can get a fabulous camera for what I paid for mine back in 2003. (I hate how technology progresses so fast!)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.