FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » They Came, They Really Came

Author Topic: They Came, They Really Came
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
We had about 2 or 3 trick-or-treaters last year. I was so upset.

There are carloads of kids coming in now. Someone is actually appreciating my Halloween decorations. The handmade cemetary fence, the tombstones, the fog machine and even my new Bates Motel sign. Some kid really thought I was torturing someone in my garage [Eek!] (it's really a CD).

I'm practically giddy! [Big Grin]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was a reference to the field of dreams. But trick-or-treaters are really cool! I wish I could see your decorations. I'm in a dorm, so I haven't really seen any good decorations this season.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
We get TONS of the wee spooks here. At our old house, we were way up a hill at the end of a cul de sack. You could see the house from the road but the driveway was steep. The only kids in costume we ever got were relatives.

So this is nice. [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm out trick or treating with the girls while grandpa hands out candy, but it sure looks like my street has been busy.

I'm pretty sure I won't run out of candy, though. I bought a lot.

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you phone posting while the girls go to a house, again? [Smile]
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
We live out in the country and don't get trick-or-treaters.

We don't really go trick-or-treating house to house, either.

We have 2 houses we hit, and my parents.

Instead of the traditional thing, we went to the Zoo Friday night. We had a blast, and the kids got lots of goodies. [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evie3217:
I wish I could see your decorations. I'm in a dorm, so I haven't really seen any good decorations this season.

Ditto.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socal_chic
Member # 7803

- posted      Profile for socal_chic   Email socal_chic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
quote:
Originally posted by Evie3217:
I wish I could see your decorations. I'm in a dorm, so I haven't really seen any good decorations this season.

Ditto.
Luckily my hall decorated like crazy so even though I'm in a dorm there's fun decorations [Smile]
Posts: 137 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I got pictures. I'll post them if they come out well.

Stupid wind keeps blowing the fog away though. It always sits still in the movies.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a sodden, torrential downpour here in the great PacNW -

I don't expect too many this evening.

My little "soldier" boy just headed out the door with his dad to do the mall approach to T&T.

I just ate my second cookie . . .

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you phone posting while the girls go to a house, again? [Smile]
Yeah [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Our standout so far this year was one absolutely darling little blond chubby girl, no older than 3. "Did you say 'trick or treat'? prompted an adult.

"Twick aw tweat," she said solemnly.

She was wearing something vaguely princessy, but I couldn't quite figure out what it was so I didn't venture a guess, I just told her, "you look VERY pretty!"

"I'm a Bawbie," she informed me importantly.

"ooohhh," I said, dutifully impressed.

Her little crowd (2 parents and a grandma, I think) informed me that it's something different at each door--a princess, some Disney character, whatever strikes her fancy. I thought that was so cute!

We had a pretty good turnout this year. Lots of Skittles dispensed. :-)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
We turn the lights off at 7:30, when the carloads of kids from Detroit invade the neighborhood.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
We gave out 53 candy bars. But I think one kid took two.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
zgator, I LOVE decorating for Halloween. It's the one holiday that my parents really really love to get into. My mother owns more than 5 sound effect CDs, and my dad always pipes them through the front windows with candles and decorations. My mom's dream is to throw a killer Halloween party complete with a haunted house part. One day we'll do it.

I'm glad you're hard work paid off. I can't believe you have fog. That is so cool!!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Not one kid has come by yet. [Frown] We have our door decorated, and I can hear trick-or-treaters, but I think because of us being in a complex that's kind of hidden behind trees, no one is noticing the witch hanging on the door.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a stack of pumpkins carved with my house numbers and a face on the top one. Kind of like a snowman except pumpkins instead. Lit up really nice on the inside, took me hours of work.

The doorbell rang once. Two surly teenagers. Their costumes were socks pulled over the tops of their heads, and they didn't even say trick or treat.

Sigh. I wish I had a three year old fairy/princess/barbie stop by instead.

Oh well.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Hardly any kids this year. [Frown] Less then 40.
Usually its like 80 or so.

[ November 01, 2005, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you suppose the lack of T&T'ers is due to last week's show "Commander in Chief?"

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
It is half past 11, so I guess it is safe to tally the total number of trick-or-treaters we had this year. Let me see, it was around, um,

One.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pariah
Member # 8773

- posted      Profile for Pariah   Email Pariah         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a one... Not one trick or teat-er. We haven't had one in 3 years. all the kids just go to the Mall and get candy from the stores. I think that's like cheating, what ever happened to kids hiking miles around the neighborhood in the cold? I guess those days are gone around here. We bought one bag of reese's peanut butter cups just in case. There all mine now!
Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we took Emma out and a few lollipops were gone from the container I left out in front of our door. (There must have been parents with them, they didn't take the whole thing.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a dozen or so, quite a lot less than last year in our old neighborhood. That wasn't very surprising...we're now in a neighborhood with one acre lots, so the kids have a lot of walking to do for not that many houses. Plus, it's friggin nasty outside. Spitting rain. Cold. Yuck. Hubby took the kids out to go 'round the block. I stayed at home and lit the fire. [Big Grin] It was very nice and peaceful.

In our old neighborhood, my husband had to explain to me that some kids really do mean the trick part of 'trick or treat', and that even (especially, really) if the kid is taller than me and has a beard that isn't glued on, give him some candy. For heaven's sake, don't start questioning him about doesn't he think he's just a little too old to be out begging for candy? and shouldn't he be doing something more responsible with his time? I really wanted to, but I refrained. Mostly. I did ask some of them, but gave them nice big handsful of candy to go along with.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Heheh... I went trick-or-treating till I was 18. [Wink]
I agree that going to the mall is cheating... how sad. Ugh... I remember Matta and I went like ten blocks in both directions from the house in search of spooks and treats.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
So, we had one group of 5 knock on our door around 6:30. And me thinking it was just the beginning of an onslaught limited them to two peanut butter cups.

We didn't have a single knock on our door after that, so i now have a bowl full of a few dozen peanut butter cups. silly me.

It was quite disappointing really. We carved two awesome pumpkins and put candles in both. We heard kids across the complex running around, but no more came over our way.

...sigh.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

- posted      Profile for Dr. Evil   Email Dr. Evil         Edit/Delete Post 
We had many trick or treaters this year, more than last year but thanks to my wife, we have plenty of candy left over. Just what I need.

The one thing I noticed is that so many of the kids have to be prompted to say "trick or treat" now. And we had some kids grabbing the bowl of candy to try and take what they waned. BUt we had some great costumes and a lot of fun as we took our 8 month old around to a number of the neighbors and they thought it was great.

Posts: 117 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Batman was out in force this year. I have to admit it's a little odd seeing 5 year olds with six-pack abs.

We almost had one cape-related accident. The cape was too long and got underfoot as the child was going down the stairs. [Eek!]

We had several witches, some fairy princesses, and a butterfly/sprite.

Almost nobody says "trick or treat." But they were all very polite and seemed to like our doggy a lot too.

Oh wait, I meant the child we borrowed and dressed up in a really awesome dog costume. Yeah, that's it.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I received the finest compliment I can hope for last night. A dad walked up to the door with his 5 or 6 year old and said "He said he was too scared to walk up to your house alone." [Angst]

And that was only a partial attempt because I wanted to see if we'd actually get any kids this year.

Next year I plan on making the dads wet their pants too. [Razz]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if people don't say trick or treat it's fair to turn a hose pipe on them.

(well, unles they're tiny, then you should just pleasantly suggest).

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
In our strange little town, Trick or Treat is when the Sheriff says it is. So, this year it was last Thursday. I didn't have one knock all night.
I did take some younger Boy Scouts camping on Friday, however. We camped in the graveyard of an old Nevada Ghost town. I already posted the intention in another place. But, the Camp was way fun. The tents, originally scattered in among the trees and monuments, were all recovered after dark, and the whole group (only 5 boys) ended up with their tents set up on top of one another. No! they wern't scared! They just wanted to be able to "talk to each other"

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a couple dozen kids come by (last year we had maybe half a dozen). I think almost everybody said "Trick or Treat" (the little ones were the ones that needed to be prompted or who didn't say anything at all). Most kids were really good about the candy too - I always hold the bowl out to them (so they can pick their treats) and tell them to take a couple. Most have to be prompted to take more than one. I figure we had a good candy selection since we got a "Score!" response from a couple of the older boys. [Smile]

We had soldiers and ninjas and princesses and witches and pumpkins and various ghosts and ghouls. I think my favorite was a little tiny witch in an adorable black dress with gold and black feather trim on it and the hat. I also loved that some of the parents were dressed up - we had Gandalf come by even. [Smile]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't know how happy it makes me to see that Halloween is alive and well.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Almost nobody says "trick or treat." But they were all very polite and seemed to like our doggy a lot too.
Where Dave grew up (Winnipeg), they'd say "Halllloween appples!"

I have no idea why.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's a request?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Hey Jake. On another thread you said that you thought it was cheating to buy premade costume things, like a plastic breastplate.

When I went as a warrior type, I took my long sword that I bought at the medieval fair years before. It's a real sword that can hold an edge and can be used to dismember people. Since it was real and I didn't fabricate it, was I cheating? This has been bothering me. If it helps, I did make the leather scabbard for it myself.

Noemon
Member # 1115

You know, I've been thinking about that too. I've got a helmet that I got when I was flirting with the idea of joining the SCA, years and years ago, and would consider using that as part of a costume, although I never have. Your sword doesn't trip me "that's cheating!" alarm either. What's the difference between that and say, buying a pair of fairy wings? I'm honestly not sure. There is a difference there, I can feel it, but I can't articulate it. Maybe it's because the wings would have been purchased specifically for the costume, whereas the sword wasn't?

If someone had a pile of money, and bought a suit of full plate for themselves, it would seem like cheating if they bought it specifically for their Halloween costume. If they were in the SCA and had bought it to wear in combat, and just happened to use it as their Halloween costume, that would seem fine to me.

Since I'm, you know, Supreme Artiber of Halloween Costume Fair Play and all.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I think my drawing line is whether it's real or not or could be used for it's intended purpose. Such as, would your helmet actually prevent me from cleaving your head in twain with my long sword.

I don't have a problem with buying something like that specifically for Halloween. Although, if you were buying things like that just for a costume, you probably have enough money that you wouldn't care what my opinion was anyway.

I will admit that today at the half price sale at Spirit, I almost bought the big gargoyle wings. For years, I have plans to create these enormous bat type wings that I would be able flap using cords at my side. I don't see it happening though.

Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so excited, we had about 25 kids! My first Hallowe'en in my own house, and we had kids come and everything! Yay! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I skipped my class last night so I could give out candy. [Smile] We had probably 30 or so. Not as much as I was hoping for. I was moping for like an hour, peeking out the door for more.. [Smile]

One little girl rapped so lightly on the door that I hardly heard her. Her father was crouched down helping her knock, with various relatives standing around watching. She was soooooooooooo cute. She was dressed as a pumpkin, and wasn't much bigger than normal pumpkin size herself. She fell as they were leaving, a little plop down on the welcome mat. She was okay, and it was so adorable. Aaaw.

About the saying Trick or Treat thing... when I was younger, probably the first time I went trick or treating, we went to one of my aunt's neighbors. I sung "Trick or Treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat" because I HONESTLY did not know that was not a good thing to do. I was just too young, and I had always heard trick or treat in connection with the song. The lady made us wait while she went to get us something. We all got quarters. 50 cents each, I think. My brothers were soooooooo mad at me, because they saw a huge bowl of candy in there. They still bring it up sometimes.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Ah, I like that distinction Z. It would work for things like liquid latex, braids of fake hair for creating facial hair or fur, and the like, all of which are okay by me.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
From an online blog:

quote:
In Winnepeg, they say 'Halloween Apple" which is sung out in a G chord. I had never heard of this before until a Winnepeger told me about it and even then I thought he was pulling my leg ...The whole Halloween apples thing seems like the best kept secret in Canada because I can't even find references to the limerick on Google.
Bizarre.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
We only had one party of trick or treaters last night, two kids and their adult escort. I was really disappointed, as this was the first time in years that we've lived somewhere that they let trick or treaters come through. The adult also had a costume on, so I made sure he got candy, as well.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.