FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dear World

Author Topic: Dear World
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Sharpie and I are engaged!

We met playing Scrabble online. I didn't know her gender for some months, and assumed she was male. A unique way to start a relationship -- I liked and respected her tremendously, long before any inkling of thinking of her as a partner could have surfaced -- and longer still before we ever met and I found out how absolutely brilliantly adorably smart, fun, and cute she is.

No, wait, did I say cute? She's tough as nails, tough, I say [Smile]

We haven't shared much (hardly any) of our journey publicly. I am 3 years divorced; she is just divorced, after a long estrangement. We both have teen children. We live 450 miles apart. Becoming committed to each other, nurturing this relationship across the miles and with complex and often worrying constraints, has been a journey, with pains and bumps and doubts and incredible highs. This fall she took back her maiden name; saw her children off to attend their father's remarriage wedding ceremony; started wearing my ring. She has done it with smarts and grace and impeccable principles, while enduring her own secret sauce of anxieties, demons and insomnias.

I think today -- every day -- that I must be the luckiest person alive, to have found the person I think we all dream about -- that person I think we all find, at least in part, in anyone we love -- the person who fits, who mirrors and sparks and thrills and prods. Sharpie takes my breath away every single day, with a look, a joke, an idea, a story, a game -- or simply by being there. With me! She chose me. God.

Right now the date is July 7, 2007; but I think we are looking for ways to move it up. Not easy decisions: big questions loom about jobs, moving, kids... but today we are free, engaged, ecstatic... and every step is worth it.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazel Tov!

And by the way, I think that Sharpie is the coolest name ever. (It is her pen name).

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat]

Good for you, I hope it works out well. [Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Woot.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations [Hat]
Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Congrats!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeeehaaaaaaaw! Congrats! [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Congratulations, to both of you!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Congradulations, best of luck. You deserve it.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you thank you thank you, to all.

Sharpie looked at my post last night and said, "now I'm going to have to post." [Big Grin]

She is a woman of few, but choice, words.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Many of them with triple word score, from what I hear.

[Wink]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
*disqualifies JVP from the Six Rejections game*
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

That's fantastic!

A big congratulations to both of you.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Yay! Congratulations to both of you!

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
He's not the luckiest person alive -- I am!

Don't worry; I won't get sappy [Smile] But BELIEVE me, I could!

I'm very happy. Very. (Except about the fact that I'm packing my car to head back to Virginia and won't see him for at least 10 days. Thank god for modern communication technologies.)

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful!! Congratulations you two!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, what great news! Congratulations to both of you!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratz, guys!
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations. Love is a wonderful thing.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Happy!
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
That's great! [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

Thanks again for all the happy replies.

I updated my blog(s) with a post very similar to the one that started this thread, and my parents replied there with their congratulations.

This was interesting/unusual/odd in two respects: first, they already knew about the engagement, and have for some time (although certainly 'going public' was an important step, and I intended it to be seen as such); second, I am fairly sure it is the first time they have ever commented in a blog or forum of any sort, for any reason!

My mother is 'of an age,' and would rather pen a note on monogrammed paper than send an email, even for something so trivial as a thank you or a schedule update, let alone regarding a major life event. For her to have responded 'in kind' here was very, very endearing.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.