FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Am I a cool children's librarian or what?

Author Topic: Am I a cool children's librarian or what?
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Because it was Halloween this week, out story time theme was scary stories. I do the story for grades K-3...

I chose The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman.

Since a lot of the pictures are small, I scanned the art for entire book and presented it as a slide show. In the dark, with the lights OFF.

I think it was just scary enough, but not too scary (we got some gasps and shrieks, but nobody cried, and they laughed at the end).

If anybody wants the slide show (PowerPoint) to use for whatever reason, I can put it up on my Rutgers web site.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool, Yozhik!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be glad to see it... sounds cool. I only read Good Omens and Stardust, but I'm sure this one is bizarre enough...
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you a school or a municipal librarian? When I was in that age group, I used to love when the librarian would read to us.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
You might not want to post anything like that to the web, Yoz-- images and words are copyright after all.

That said-- you should let Neil Gaiman know what you've done. I think he'd get a kick out of it.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
At least you didn't do Coraline.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved that book! It was so cute!

edited to add: wolves in the walls. I wasn't talking about Coraline.

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, yes, that is cool.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with Coraline, sL?

:casually examines fingernails:

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
WOOT!

what a cool librarian!

I especially like the slides idea.

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ser Bronn Stone
Member # 8759

- posted      Profile for Ser Bronn Stone   Email Ser Bronn Stone         Edit/Delete Post 
One time, I adapted the OSC short story "Middle Woman" as a bedtime story for some very young children (5ish). Didn't do it in writing though, but it was quite well received.

They liked the dragon and the wishes.

I think that I changed the deaths in the village to injuries of some sort, just so as to not be too scary.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.