FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HTML certified

Author Topic: HTML certified
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
So I have some time while I'm working... and I thought it would be good to study to get HTML certified. I have a diploma in Multimedia Communications Technology which includes Web design. But I thought it would help out if I got certified.
However... Since technology is changing many times... I'm wondering if it would be worth it (or do employers like webdesigners to be certified more than a diploma?).
I've heard that XML will be the way to design websites in the near future. (I may have mentioned this a while back...)

I think I'll start on a novel at the moment. Maybe pretend that I'm in the NANO..something contest.

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to pretend - it's not too late to sign up. [Wink]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
oh... I thought the deadline was November 1st....
I guess I'll look into it.

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, there's no HTML certification worth more than the paper its printed on.

I would suggest taking a class in web design that teaches CSS, which is the way to design websites now and in the future (keep in mind there's no one way to design websites, but this way is very important). Whether they teach HTML or XHTML (the form of XML you're thinking of) is largely irrelevant. Good HTML is extremely close to XHTML.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

This certification has CSS and Javascript included.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Still not aware of any worth the paper they're printed on. There are very few tech certs that are.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Russell's right. Tech certs will only guarantee you a job with people who don't know what to look for in a tech.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cali-Angel-Cat
Member # 8799

- posted      Profile for Cali-Angel-Cat   Email Cali-Angel-Cat         Edit/Delete Post 
My cousin is A+ Certified. He was going to school to be a Microsoft Tech, but hasn't gone back since he left. Comp USA offered him a job and he refused it because they only offered him 10.50 an hour!

I am planning on going back to school when I get my apartment in a year or so. I plan on majoring in Web Design. I've basically taught myself everything I know about web design so far.

CSS is great! It's confusing at times, but great.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tech certs will only guarantee you a job with people who don't know what to look for in a tech.
Or with people who have to follow stupid regulations - usually government regulations, but sometimes prime contractor regulations.

We took certs into account when hiring because we could charge more for people with certs.

But, in general, posession of a cert had little to do with quality as a developer. People who studied for the certs and passed, though, were more likely to be responsible in other areas.

I'm more than 2 years out of date, now, but there were no certs for HTML worth anything to us.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.