FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Nation wide protests in the USA

Author Topic: Nation wide protests in the USA
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
http://english.people.com.cn/200511/03/eng20051103_218760.html

What surprises me is that I see nothing in CNN about this wierd.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not weird. The news agencies here almost never cover protests. Have you checked NPR?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but it's a pretty good sign of why I love to live here.

Unlike other places I can think of, our government doesn't send the tanks in after the protestors [Wink]

I'm always reminded of a story (somewhat true, somewhat lark) in which the Russian government, eager to show how bad life was in the US, imported one film: "The Grapes of Wrath" The russian people were stunned. It was a film about the desperation of life in the US.. yet the poor US people.. wait, they had a car!

In a recent even that -did- occur, the film "Farenheit 9/11" (we'll not debate inconsistencies) was imported into China. Chinese people who are not always giant fans of the US, took it as what was wrong with the US.. at the same time, many saw it as a sign of freedom abroad.. in that Bush didn't try to have Michael Moore killed. (Something that would have definitely happened there)

Over this summer, there were "nationwide" protests for everything from Animal Rights to Gay Rights to Fred Phelps little goofy militia of loonatics all over the US.

Staging a nationwide protest isn't a big ordeal; it's how many people you get to show and whether or not it means much. I'm sure there was a protest here in KC somewhere, but I'm also fairly sure that as much as protesting, it was a good opportunity for people to sit around a cup of coffee, talk about a show they watched recently, and gripe about life in general.. or for guys to go to protests to pick up on protestor women who could hopefully be swept off their feet by some hunky guy with the right amount of temporary disdain for whatever the hot cause was that day [Smile]

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
And, just for a "BTW" I can rally more then 500 people in Chicago under the protest banner of "Ticket prices at Wrigley are Unfair!" and I bet you I can pull together a couple thousand to sit out and chant for an afternoon. If you can get 500 people together in the third largest city in the US, where you have 4 local colleges and a few million people..
Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cali-Angel-Cat
Member # 8799

- posted      Profile for Cali-Angel-Cat   Email Cali-Angel-Cat         Edit/Delete Post 
This was news to me, but then again you'll here more about the upcoming election then this, or how our Governor and the President are snubbing each other.

I personally think that each channel decides what they think is important enough to air, just like the decide when to override a TV show or not cause of a sporting event or some such.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the high schooler part of the protest is funny. I am sure there were some student's who walked out of class because of principles and beliefs, but I am also sure there were a large number who walked out of class because it was an excuse to walk out of class.

I can't begin to count all the things I voluntarily attended in high school for no reason better than "math is boring".

I don't think I would have participated in this one, but I know there are a lot of people who would. It's a great way to get higher numbers for your protest count though. The next set of protesters should learn from this practice.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Or they think that this was already covered by the non stop wall to wall coverage they had on Sheehan so it's off to the new Story du Jour
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.