FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Texan law : is it true ?

Author Topic: Texan law : is it true ?
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard this morning something I'd like you say me if it is true.

On a french forum, somebody explains he has heard that a new law was voted in Texas. This new law is about the punishment of those who degradated a wall or something by graffiti. If somebody is catched he may condamne to have the inch cuted.

It seems to me something really crazy. It's like the islamic law which cut the hand of robber.

Can you explain me ? It is wrong or true ?

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Choobak:
If somebody is catched he may condamne to have the inch cuted.

I don't understand you. Do you mean to say that a body part would be cut off as a punishment? If so, then that can't be true. Higher laws in the US would forbid it.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought perhaps it was meant to be executed, which would also be untrue.

Texas laws might, in some cases, be strict compared to other states, but they are by no means as strict as Islamic laws.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
You won't be executed, but in my understanding, it is a felony to grafitti gang signs on public property in Texas- which means you might go to jail. If you're just putting up grafitti and you get caught, you get a fine.

Texas may like the death penalty, but not *that* much.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enochville
Member # 8815

- posted      Profile for enochville   Email enochville         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you be referring to this: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/04/national/main1009955.shtml

Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman has suggested that those who deface freeways with graffiti should have their thumbs cut off on television.

Posts: 264 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Thank you for this explaination ! I know you are not horrible people. And i counter the desinformation by reporting all the reality.

But this Goodman is not really a good man, in my opinion...

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Why would that necessarily be true?

Is it people from Las Vegas that you deem evil, or is it mayors?

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm vaguely offended that the story was purported to be from Texas. Not at Choobak, of course.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

I repair all of that Katie ! I dislike those who difuse this. I love truth. It's my way. And especialy when protagonists are not here.

Oh, Katie, Have you notice for your brother the recipe of Crêpe i published on Hatrack ?

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
(I saw the recipe! It looked great. Unfortunately I don't cook much, and have been to busy to bother changing the measures to cups. Someday maybe...)
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Choobak, I missed it! Where is it? Those crepes were very, very yummy. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar Goodman is a very good mayor, and extremely popular in Las Vegas. However, he is just as much a showman as he is a mayor. Everything he does is for P.R., usually for the city, but sometimes for himself. He says and does some outrageous things, but most of the people here love him for it; it's part of his charm.

He does have his flaws, however. He's a lawyer by profession, for one thing. Can't trust those guys. (Actually, he made his name by defending mafiosos back in the bad old days of Las Vegas.) He likes his likker a little too much, if you ask me. He actually has an endorsement deal with a gin company. He doesn't understand children at all, so he sometimes says some pretty stupid things when he's visiting schools, etc.

But he is a fantastic ambassador for Las Vegas. He has done almost as much for the city's marketing success over the last decade as Steve Wynn. He and the Maloof brothers are responsible for Vegas getting the NBA All-Star game in a couple of years, and if we end up getting any NBA or MLB team here in the next five years, as some predict, it will be largely due to his efforts.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

(I searched my recipe, but unfortunately, i didn't found it...)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It's on the front page now... [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

It's not necessarily that I deem him evil. It's just that I can't imagine why anyone who didn't have an evil streak would WANT to be mayor of a city that advertises "Whatever happens here, stays here."

I don't get it.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this briefly on CNN this morning before work. My first thought is that the guy's been watching too many Mafia movies.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
No matter what Goodman says, cutting off people's thumbs on television and/or public canings are a clear violation of the US constitution. I can't imagine even the most conservative judges in the US upholding a law of this sort.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Another panelist on the show, Howard Rosenberg, a state university system regent, responded by saying that cutting off the thumbs of taggers won't solve the problem and Goodman should "use his head for something other than a hat rack."
Heehee.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar knows a law like this really wouldn't fly. It was just his way of saying he's really serious about the problem(s).
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
No, in Texas we elevate our grafitti criminals to the status of artists, just like most other states in the nation...
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was just his way of saying he's really serious about the problem(s).
Oh, so it's like the penalty I used to suggest (NOT in front of the public, though) for parents who leave their very small children unattended in the children's section of Borders (I used to work there.): A first offense would involve tying the parent to a chair and forcing him/her watch all the child-abduction episodes of Law and Order: SVU. A second offense would involve sending the kids to new homes with better parents. [Big Grin]

(Seriously, I would get so frustrated seeing these itty bitty kids "parked" in the children's section while the parent went off to shop or get a cup of coffee. Sometimes the kid wouldn't even be old enough to talk... anybody could just walk off with them, or pull them behind a bookshelf, and nobody would realize it until it was too late. And I couldn't watch the kids all the time -- I had to do my job...)

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar problem when I used to work retail. One woman with a toddler asked if we had a bathroom. When I told her she could us the one in the stockroom she said, "Go to the potty with the nice lady." And then left me with a child too young to go to the "potty" by himself. Okay, first, soooo not my job! And how does she know I'm a "nice lady" not some child molesting kidnapper she's asking to undress, wipe, and re-dress her kid. Honestly!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.