FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Riots in Paris--Choobak, how are you?

Author Topic: Riots in Paris--Choobak, how are you?
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised no one has posted about this so far, since we have at least one Hatraqien Parisien here. For those who don't know, several of the districts in northern Paris have had riots for the past several days. Each day there are reports of hundreds more cars set on fire, and general mayhem and destruction, though surprisingly little loss of life. It actually reminds me of the gang atmosphere depicted in the film "La Haine," which is an incredible piece of filmmaking by the way.

So, anyway....Choobak, comment ca va? I know you must not be affected directly by the riots very much, or we would have heard from you about it. But I'm wondering what it is like living in the same city that has these riots going on. Of course, from what I hear, you have been floating in the clouds for the past several weeks, so for all I know, you may not know there's anything going on [Big Grin]

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=039167;p=0&r=nfx
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Choobak may just be one of my favorite people ever. [Smile] Glad you were thinking of him, Brian.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that. Choobak seems to me to be a person who has "gotten his chicken", so to speak.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw on my custom Google a news story that headlined "Paris is burning", but when I clicked the link, it errored out and couldn't reach the domain. I never investigated further. So I guess I wasn't paying any attention. Thanks for bringing this up for us to check out.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
The BBC news site has several articles about the riots, as well as pictures, if anyone's wanting more info about this. This is the latest one, I think, and it has links to their other articles too.

I haven't read all of them yet, but it sounds like a very scary situation. [Frown]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
I'll second that. Choobak seems to me to be a person who has "gotten his chicken", so to speak.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Yeah, he does. [Big Grin]

(I love that term.)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a big hurry when I wrote my previous post. I skimmed the last couple of pages for threads related to "riots" and "Paris," but I guess I just missed the previous thread. [Blushing] C'est la vie.

Oh, and thanks for the BBC links, Nell. I can't believe I started a current events thread without providing proper linkage. [Monkeys] I should have to do some kind of penance to the Gods of Proper Thread Starting.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm here !!!!
Sorry i missed the thread !

I want to reassure you : I'm ok ! In reality, i live in a very calm town. But when we cross the iron way, we arrive into Clichy, the town where the riot began.
The pseudo origin of the riot is the death of two young people by electocution. It's horrible. But the reality is not because of a badness of a guy or the authority. The reality is that this two guys went up a wall with cutting a barbed wire, breaking a door where you can see the symbole "Warning : death risk".

Sorry, i pursue the story later, i need to go...

to be continue [Wink]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

So i continue. This two guys go into an electric transformator box. And they died.

So all people from the suburb (we say "cité"). Don't understand why Authority don't reconize a fault.

In fact, there is many gang who use this pretext to make a riot.

I have a friend who is a national cop at clichy, he is ok, but i have not more info.

The reality of that is that the dialogue is not here. And there is there will always be people who want to destroy order. And there is many influansable people who follow this attractive guys.

Personally, i think the TV and Media don't help to calm them. This personnes need recognition. And the only way they have is to go to TV and Papers. Like the model of Reality shows like Brothers is watching you. TV is a symbol of going up in the society.

And when there is a riot, TV is here. I believe It is the way for them to feel important.

And I think there is some people who need to express a discomfort.

I think This is not finished...

But don't be affraid for me. I'm tall, big and strong. And i practice Karate.
And i am not in the riot.

I try to send you more info.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Take care of you.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
You, too, Anna.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But don't be affraid for me. I'm tall, big and strong. And i practice Karate.
Good, good, good.
quote:
And i am not in the riot.
Even better. [Big Grin]

Take care, Chooback!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression that the rioting is continuing becuase of poverty and unemployment in the areas where the rioters are burning stuff.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping this thread because I couldn't find any others on the topic.

This seems to be flaring up more and more quickly, and the news is reporting that the riots could be spreading to Belgium and Germany as well as the 300 towns in France (story)

I know others here are keeping tabs on this, any thoughts? Will this get any worse before it gets better?

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

My feeling about that is that this riot in north of Paris is leaded by a group who manipulate young suburb people. But now, this is becoming bigger than this group would hope it. I don't heard about same riot in Belgium or Germany, but in France after being born in the suburb of Paris, it is gaining the other big town. I'll try to heard more about.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Freaky deaky...
Be well Choobak and other French folk.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard from a friend who did some research that is was about a wealth gap between those in Urban Paris and suburban paris which had been building up until this "fuse that lit the keg".
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That's part of it. Then there's the discrimination and intolerance that unfortunately are apparently rampant against immigrants and children of immigrants. *sigh* It's kind of like what went on in some places in America in the 60's, from what I understand. Like the Watts Riots, and other similar incidents. Eventually things got better with a lot of work from civil rights activists (although obviously, there are still problems, and what's won for one group doesn't always ensure equal rights and treatment for other groups; the prejudice seems to shift.) Except that in France right now, they're turning more and more toward violence instead of trying to find another way.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this have any connection to the recent (within 6-9 months) fires that burned down a couple overcrowded, un-protected tennament homes killing many of the poor/Immigrant/Islamic Nationals?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be pretty pissed too if there was a 50% unemployment rate for my age group and it didn't look like the government was much interesting in helping and didn't care.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
It's sounding like the riots are not slowing down... over 1,400 cars and several buildings destroyed and now the rioters hit central Paris itself.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

Are they catching some of these rioters? Video taping them? Yesterday I heard something on the radio along the lines of, now we're going to start arresting these youths. That made it sound like they weren't arresting before. *snort* Boys will be boys you know.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that there aren't people in this thread that are trying to excuse the rioting.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
As Dolto said : understand everything, not excuse everything.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chases Fire
Member # 8835

- posted      Profile for Chases Fire           Edit/Delete Post 
HI,

I am new here, I love France for it's culture not to mention great food, and hate to see all this going on.

Very sad.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

I keep reading this thread as: "Riots in Paris--Choobak, how could you?"

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.